Several small files defragment slowly

SethTP

Hello, I recently installed Final Fantasy 14 Online, Their game uses 136000 files, each of which are 100KB or less.

Anyways those files were split all around my hard drive in two fragments each.

After running Defraggler for a couple of hours the progress was only at 30%.

I canceled and used WIN 7 built in defragment tool which only took about 20 minutes.

I believe there is something currently wrong with Defraggler and how small files are handled but cannot offer a solution.

Thank you.

-SethTP

Hello, I recently installed Final Fantasy 14 Online, Their game uses 136000 files, each of which are 100KB or less.

Anyways those files were split all around my hard drive in two fragments each.

After running Defraggler for a couple of hours the progress was only at 30%.

I canceled and used WIN 7 built in defragment tool which only took about 20 minutes.

I believe there is something currently wrong with Defraggler and how small files are handled but cannot offer a solution.

Thank you.

-SethTP

I've seen this too - currently (since 2 days actually), DF works on a Server's 2T HDD, with 68% fragmented, 5.3 million fragments, and many many small files.

There is almost no disk activity, so there seems to be something conceptionally wrong in DF.

+1 for this one.

• Moderators

[Opinion]For win7 and Vista it's better to use the built in Defrag for whole drives and to only use Defraggler for indivual files{/opinion]

Newer windows OS don't much like third party defrags and make a systemrestore point as the defrag occurs (or maybe right before it I'm not sure) with Win7 Defrag is pretty much set and forget

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com