V2.35.1223 does not display Restore Points

DaveDragon

I also know that when the user uses CC to delete a SRP then CC won't always wipe the entire SRP. some files are simply left behind. And that could be the case on your computer.

Actually it should NEVER wipe the entire SRP unless it is the oldest,

and when I tested it did not wipe out the oldest either.

CC only deletes the registry snapshot stuff which is only used when restoring the system to how it HAD been on that date.

CC preserves all the copies of "system files", and without those any attempt at restoring to a previous date would never be able to re-constitute the files that had been preserved in that particular R.P.

CC also masks the "neutered" Restore Point so that System Restore will not offer to restore the system to a date that has no registry.

Alan

Alan_B wrote:

Actually it should NEVER wipe the entire SRP unless it is the oldest,

and when I tested it did not wipe out the oldest either.

This is what I experienced, too.

CC never wipes the oldest SRP (is shown as inactive - so cannot be deleted).

That's the way CC should *behave* :)

As for me it works with v1219.

henriette

nobody knows - only my nose knows ...

• Moderators

Did we solve Dave Dragon's Issue, or is that still ongoing?

I've reread this thread a number of times and can't really tell if this is an actual bug or not.

sysrestoreworksforme.th.png

As can be seen by my image, CCleaner 2.35.1223 sees my restore points on my fully patched XP sp3 box, so i am struggling to recreate this issue. Are you running the program on an administrator account? or a limited one? (in the case of Dragon Dave) is the afore mentioned service running on your machine?

I can't tell (in the case of Henriette) if this issue still exists once she has done this restore of an image, as she has decided not to reinstall the .1223 version, which would aid in fixing this issue if she did (hint hint ;) )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

@Henriette,

By "manually deleting SRPs" I mean that I either use CC (Section "system restore") or ExplorerXP (shift-delete) to delete those things. But, as mentioned above, ExplorerXP does a more thorough job and that's why I prefer to use ExplorerXP.

SRPs in Windows XP are (relatively) small (30 to 170 MB) but, according to my (limited) knowledge, SRPs in Vista and Windows 7 can be (very) large (700 MB or larger).

@DaveDragon,

If you go back to a previous CC version (e.g. v2.34 or v2.35.1219), do those SRPs show up again in CC ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Nergal :)

Henriette) if this issue still exists once she has done this restore of an image, as she has decided not to reinstall the .1223 version, which would aid in fixing this issue if she did (hint)

Do I understand you right:

You mean by what you said above that after restoring my last image, installing .1223 version might work now ?

--> be it for *maybe* backuped* files that had been missing before restoring ?

Is that what you mean ?

If so, I would give it a try with version .1223 "which would aid in fixing the issue" ... ISSUE = showing SRP NOW ?

henriette *thankful for Nergal's hint* ... hoping for a reply before doing so :wub:

@Willy2 (who just dropped in while I was posting this)

ExplorerXP does a more thorough job and that's why I prefer to use ExplorerXP.

1. I read that ExplorerXP is not easy to use (for me as a 'ole-time-user' - still 'knowing-nuttin') - that's 1 reason why I didn't try ExplorerXP

2. I didn't search for a DL just for that reason.

I'ld prefer CC to have it done. CC GOTTA show SRPs! that's what I ask of v.1223.

btw: as to DaveDragon - if I may interfere - I don't think he restored an image - which might have helped. IMHO none of CC-versions NOW would show any SRPs (he already tried other version(s)to my knowledge] until he does restore an earlier image -> then install a CC-version to look what's what.

Thank you ever so much for caring.

henriette :)

ExplorerXP doesn't work as smoothly as Windows Explorer does. That's what I should have said. Sometimes one can use the usual Windows ""tricks"" (of e.g. Copy and Paste, right or left mouse click) directly and sometimes one is forced to use the program's own commands, which takes (a little bit more effort), to handle the management of files in Windows.

I haven't figured out what causes this eratic behaviour of ExplorerXP but when one gets to know the program it provides the user an additional tool/functionality to look beyond the limits as set by Windows Explorer.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Yup, I'm wondering if (after you restored the backup image) if the older version then shows srp, I wonder if the newer version still won't (this will help the programers track the code change, though AFAIK there was no code change in SRP in fact the only code change between .1223 and .1219 was the fix to change detect/detectfile from "and" to "or" thus fix the Adobe flash issue). Hope that explaination cleared things up some (I get tounge tied/rambly sometimes)

My new question, for both posters, is how long are you waiting fro the srp section to load, if I remember sometimes it takes some time for points to load up, though lately my point load nearly immediatly each computer is a seperate entity.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Nergal,

I'm wondering if (after you restored the backup image) if the older version then shows srp,I wonder if the newer version still won't (this will help the programers track the code change, though AFAIK there was no code change in SRP ...

I'm afraid to say that I dare not install .1223 over .1219, now that 1219 is running fine + after all I experienced.

You say to your knowledge ('AFAIK') there was no code change (I have no idea about programming.)

how long are you waiting for the srp section to load

SRP is/are being displayed immediately (.1219)

As for .1223 nothing EVER would show up, not even after 'the cows had come home' lol.

(hoping I understood your post right ...

"I get tounge tied"

... since English is not my native language) :rolleyes:

With great power comes great responsibility.

CCleaner has the ability to neutralise Restore Points, but only on user demand.

Other tools are more aggressive and take bigger risks - if you get my drift.

On my machine Restore Points are held at :-

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F6EA6CAA-B744-447E-8F9E-B9A9507C7CB4}\

Every NTFS partition on my system has a similar location,

but the the magic number "F6EA6CAA-B744-447E-8F9E-B9A9507C7CB4" can differ.

If you type the command

DIR \SYSTEM* /A /X

You will probably see something like

30/07/2010 21:00 <DIR> SYSTEM~1 System Volume Information

By default you cannot look any further due to "protection" by Access Controls Lists (ACL).

If you wish you can search for advice on how to remove this protection,

but I am not willing to lead you into disaster.

Regards

Alan

The general impression that noobies would get from your post, is just to fire up the run box, past in DIR \SYSTEM* /A /X, & voila!

Unfortunately, it does not work this way. In the RUN box, type CMD & hit enter. Then type DIR \SYSTEM* /A /X since it cannot be pasted into it.

Interesting, nonetheless...

The general impression that noobies would get from your post, is just to fire up the run box, past in DIR \SYSTEM* /A /X, & voila!

Unfortunately, it does not work this way. In the RUN box, type CMD & hit enter. Then type DIR \SYSTEM* /A /X since it cannot be pasted into it.

Interesting, nonetheless...

I did not deliberately deceive noobies,

but if they do not know how to launch CMD.EXE then my post has no value to them.

I acted in accordance with my closing sentiment :-

"I am not willing to lead you into disaster."

Regards

Alan

@mr don,

your post is ever so welcome, even for users not quite that new.

I often forget some 'how-to' [since not 'done' that often], and I am thankful to be told again.

@Alan_B

if they do not know how to launch CMD.EXE then my post has no value to them.

a little note would help them & make great value to them, as it does to me.

I did not deliberately deceive noobies

of course you did not - the 'reminder' by mr. don, however, was very helpful.

am not willing to lead you into disaster

this is a point, you might want to add as 'precaution' - every user on her/his own risk, so one must decide for her/himself.

Thank you all for your help

I found myself in this forum looking for a solution for the -not showing Restore Points- problem.

So it happens to more people.

I still use the FAT system, because it can be approached through DOS.

And yes, the restore points are there, RP141, RP142 etc.

And CCleaner sees nothing.

So I would say: this is a bug in CCleaner 1223.

as you might have read in my earlier post on here, I reinstalled .1219 after restoring an image (backup).

(.1223 didn't show ANY SRP).

Just to let you know > after 10 (ten!) days my system has set the first SRP today.

henriette :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I posted to this forum back in July when I updated to V2.33.1184 that CC could no longer see system restore points. Looks like the problem is still around. I hadn't checked back here for quite awhile so I thought I'd check now and see if it had been fixed. Oh well....This must be quite the stinker of a problem. I'm up to date with version 2.36.1233 and still restore points wont display. I hope a definitive cause can be found because I really liked that feature when it worked.

Just to let you know > after 10 (ten!) days my system has set the first SRP today.

I forget the details, BUT I disliked the space wasted every day with an extra Restore Point.

I remember controlling the frequency by fixing the registry.

Perhaps you have to wait 10 days because your registry has taken a hit.

Dare I ask if anyone has been cleaning the registry ! ! !

Again, I forget the details, but a quick Google suggests.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.

with guidance available on suitable values in section 3 of

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/678-creating-and-managing-windows-restore-points

OOPS - I almost forgot

"I am not willing to lead you into disaster - Touch the registry at your own risk" ! ! !

Regards

Alan

Alan_B,

Dare I ask if anyone has been cleaning the registry

CCleaner + Tuneup Utilities, and sometimes manually.

Wow, Alan, thank you for the great link !!! (I wish MS could 'learn' to explain anything that way, mrhhh!) :)

I am not willing to lead you into disaster - Touch the registry at your own risk" ! ! !

Hehehe, you live and learn :lol:

henriette