V2.35.1223 does not display Restore Points

DaveDragon

The Previous version displayed all restore points without issues, and deletes them without issues.

I downloaded the latest version (V2.35.1223) does not display existing restore points.

Win XP with all the latest patches / Acer Aspire One Notebook.

I had installed over the prev version.

I then de-installed it and reinstalled the latest version, still does not show restore points.

-Dave

I downloaded the latest version (V2.35.1223) does not display existing restore points.

got same prob. Installed 2.35.1223 over existing 2.35.1219

No restore points displayed.

XP SP3 + all updates.

Is there a bug ?

henriette

nobody knows - only my nose knows ...

Before accusing CC of not showing System Restore Points (SRPs), you should check whether those SRPs still exist. Download and run e.g. ExplorerXP and see how much MBs the folder ""System Volume Information"" contain. If that folders contains more than, say 20, 30 or 40 MB then those SRPs are still there.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

post-39684-128346239707_thumb.jpg

Before accusing CC of not showing System Restore Points (SRPs), you should check whether those SRPs still exist. Download and run e.g. ExplorerXP and see how much MBs the folder ""System Volume Information"" contain. If that folders contains more than, say 20, 30 or 40 MB then those SRPs are still there.

Windows System Restore shows available restore points.

ExplorerXP shows the ""System Volume Information"" has 1.4GB of data.

Only CCleaner shows no restore points.

See attached

-Dave

hmmm -

I checked 'Windows System Restore' --> no points there to restore = deleted somehow.

also checked with Tuneup --> No restore points there!

Wonder what could have deleted them.

Last time I used CC 2.35.1219 there were 3 points left.

Was about 3 days ago.

Anyway, I don't see any reason to restore a backup (image)just for that, do you ?

henriette

Is there a path where the system restore points are saved ?

hmmm -

I checked 'Windows System Restore' --> no points there to restore = deleted somehow.

also checked with Tuneup --> No restore points there!

Anyway, I don't see any reason to restore a backup (image)just for that, do you ?

henriette

Is there a path where the system restore points are saved ?

With great power comes great responsibility.

CCleaner has the ability to neutralise Restore Points, but only on user demand.

Other tools are more aggressive and take bigger risks - if you get my drift.

On my machine Restore Points are held at :-

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F6EA6CAA-B744-447E-8F9E-B9A9507C7CB4}\

Every NTFS partition on my system has a similar location,

but the the magic number "F6EA6CAA-B744-447E-8F9E-B9A9507C7CB4" can differ.

If you type the command

DIR \SYSTEM* /A /X

You will probably see something like

30/07/2010 21:00 <DIR> SYSTEM~1 System Volume Information

By default you cannot look any further due to "protection" by Access Controls Lists (ACL).

If you wish you can search for advice on how to remove this protection,

but I am not willing to lead you into disaster.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan :)

CCleaner has the ability to neutralise Restore Points, but only on user demand.

I know he does, didn't ask CC to do so.

I only let 'him' delete SRPs before making an Image.

Use Tuneup only to delete reg-keys manually, and only if I know what's what!

Thanks for the path + command-line.

Think I will leave it as is for the time being.

One more question:

How do I get windows to set a SRP - or - when does windows set a SRP :huh:

Reason for asking:

After all SRP were gone, I set one myself - just so.

Now each time I start CC to look for a new one ->> nuttin' !

I cannot make an image before new SRP is set by system. Gotta know if system ok.

Thank you ever so much for your help

henriette :wub:

One more question:

How do I get windows to set a SRP - or - when does windows set a SRP :huh:

Reason for asking:

After all SRP were gone, I set one myself - just so.

Now each time I start CC to look for a new one ->> nuttin' !

I cannot image before it does. Gotta know if system ok.

Thank you ever so much for your help

henriette :wub:

For some reason, I am experiencing the same thing for quite some time now.

Read this article on SRPs! http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

P.S: Your English is great.

Simplicity is hard.

Hiya :)

haven't read the link yet, will do so right after this.

As you might know, there was the DLL-Bug.

A week ago I therefore installed kb2264107, THEN new key in registry:

Local_Machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager --> (on the right) "CWD... blabla" set to '0xFFFFFFFF'

Meanwhile I read to set it to '2' IF probs (meaning probs with progs e.g.), did not experience any yet.... just a thought.

note: hope U know what I'm talking about :lol:

Could this have caused the AUTO-'disappearing' = deleting of the SRPs ???

henriette

Did you use the CC option ""Wipe Free Space"" ?

YES ... myohmy.

I just unchecked it.

Please tell me how come - installed 2.35.1223 OVER the existing v2.35.1219.

As to CC homepage settings will be 'taken over' (sorry).

If my old memory serves me halfway right ... "wipe free space" had been checked also in former versions.

AND -> once checked in 1223, CC would have deleted the SRP which I have created manually after installing, just did NOT. 'MY' SRP is still there after having used all cleaning options.

Thank you so much for the link.

Still wondering ... :unsure:

henriette

P.S. my last 3 images were ~700MB smaller then before, made me wonder & haunted me (lol). Could checked "wipe free space" have caused it ?

But why then 700MB, if I left only the LAST SRP ???

Well, if you want to make an image then use ""Wipe Free Space"" to minimize the size of the image. WFS forces Windows to get rid of as much as info as possible, which Windows considers to be redundant. Like SRPs and e.g. temprorary internet files.

@Willy2

if you want to make an image then use ""Wipe Free Space"" to minimize the size of the image. WFS forces Windows to get rid of as much as info as possible, which Windows considers to be redundant. Like SRPs and e.g. temprorary internet files.

aaaaah ... so that was it!

Glad and relieved to know the reason for smaller size of images now ;)

I still wonder why CC WITH WFS checked didn't wipe my manually created SRP.

Also in 2.35.1219 -> after cleaning ALL SRPs were there.

As I posted:

If my old memory serves me halfway right ... "wipe free space" had been checked also in former versions.

Never experienced this before in ANY other version of CC. - last left SRP (had deleted all SRPs except last-one before creating image, as I always do) was there, also after restoring an image.

@DaveDragon

poor you ... hope you will get an idea for a fix.

Didn't you make a backup (image) you can restore - just to have a look if CC displays the SRP ?

henriette :rolleyes:

Well, if you want to make an image then use ""Wipe Free Space"" to minimize the size of the image. WFS forces Windows to get rid of as much as info as possible, which Windows considers to be redundant. Like SRPs and e.g. temprorary internet files.

That is not what WFS does. WFS will not clean anything but free space.

Piriform French translator

Aethec wrote:

Willy2, on 03 September 2010 - 04:20 PM, said:

That is not what WFS does. WFS will not clean anything but free space.

waiting for Willy2's reply to this

henriette :huh::huh:

• Moderators

It has been commented before that running WFS will remove system restore points. That appears to be the way Windows works when a disk approaches full capacity (WFS fills the disk with large files). Microsoft state ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224 ) that

'The deletion of restore points may be caused by ... the following by-design conditions:

You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.

This behavior causes the system to delete all restore points in an attempt to free up disk space. However, you have probably already received a warning about running low in disk space prior to this point.'

This doesn't explain Ishan and Dave D's problem, that they lose the sys rest display in CC and don't use WFS (you could hardly run it by accident without noticing, could you?). I'm still seeing all mine but I don't run WFS and the latest version of CC hasn't been propogated to the slim version, so I'm not on 1223.

Sorry, I didn't know Windows did that when disk space was really low. But temporary internet files ? Unless Windows also runs Disk Cleanup when disk space is low, I don't think they'll be deleted... (anyway, they're deleted by CCleaner...)

Piriform French translator

Some time ago I compressed all my Outlook Express (OE) files. At that time I had only some 120 MB of free diskspace. Total size of those OE files was about 100 MB (Yes, I receive a lot of emails). When OE compresses its data files it places a copy of every file in the Recycle Bin. So, after compressing I expected free space would be reduced to some 20 MB but to my surprise the total amount of free disk space was about 200 MB. After some research I discovered that I had two or three restore points less but I also knew that I hadn't manually deleted those SRPs. So, I figured out that Windows would be responsible for deleting those SRPs.

@DaveDragon,

I would suggest the following:

1. Create manually one or two new SRPs.

2. If CC does show those two newly created SRPs then simply delete all those old SRPs. (with ExplorerXP, shift-delete)

I also know that when the user uses CC to delete a SRP then CC won't always wipe the entire SRP. some files are simply left behind. And that could be the case on your computer.

@DaveDragon,

I would suggest the following:

1. Create manually one or two new SRPs.

2. If CC does show those two newly created SRPs then simply delete all those old SRPs. (with ExplorerXP, shift-delete)

I also know that when the user uses CC to delete a SRP then CC won't always wipe the entire SRP. some files are simply left behind. And that could be the case on your computer.

I was just reporting a bug in CC that I'd not seen in previous releases.

All of SRPs on my pc are valid and usable as verified by System Restore, and, CC does not show newly created SRPs.

I'm aware that I can delete them using ExplorerXP, but that doesn't address the Bug in CC.

Again, I was just reporting a bug in CC that I'd not seen in previous releases.

-Dave

@Augeas

I don't run WFS and the latest version of CC hasn't been propAgated to the slim version, so I'm not on 1223.

If you mean by 'propagated' (propogated not in my Dics) that there was no slim version of 2.35.1223 you're wrong, since I installed the SLIM version over also slim 2.35.1219.

Furthermore there wasn't such 'behaviour' in any of the previous versions!

@DaveDragon

I was just reporting a bug in CC that I'd not seen in previous releases

I agree to this!

@Willy2

It's most interesting what you said about OE:

after compressing I expected free space would be reduced to some 20 MB but to my surprise the total amount of free disk space was about 200 MB

wow!

After some research I discovered that I had two or three restore points less but I also knew that I hadn't manually deleted those SRPs. So, I figured out that Windows would be responsible for deleting those SRPs.

Do you mean "wipe free space" checked in CC by 'not manually deleted' ?

What I intend to do is:

1. restore last image with CC2.35.1219 slim on it.

That will also show me if WFS is checked.

2. NOT install 2.35.1223, since there seem to be a bug (as mentioned above by DaveDragon).

3. UNcheck (if checked!) WFS unless I create an image (to make image as small as possible -> 1 DVD).

4. stick with v2.35.1219, unless you will oficially tell that there is a bug in v 2.35.1223

note: speaking of Windows XP SP3.

Would you agree to the above ?

Thank you ever so much for your excellent help and your patience :wub:

henriette

• Moderators

FYI, in order for CCleaner to show System Restore points, it needs Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services, "DCOM Server Process Launcher" to be running.

Just to make sure is this service running?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

DCOM Server Process Launcher service is running. Just checked.

Otherwise last versions would not have displayed SRP.

Still hoping for reply conc. my last posting.

henriette :)

• Moderators

You're right, Henriette, the slim version is 1223. I assumed that as it was the same name and size as the old version it hadn't changed.

Anyway, I'm now on 1223 on my XPSP3 machine. All restore points are shown, WFS isn't ticked. There is no noticable difference.

Augeas,

I'm now on 1223 on my XPSP3 machine. All restore points are shown, WFS isn't ticked. There is no noticable difference.

I restored an image last night > updated to CC 1219 (unchecked WFS in previous version before installing - WAS CHECKED!).

Had to update DLL-bug > kb2264107 + made change in registry as advised ['CWDILlegalInSearch' -> 0xFFFFFFFF].

NOW CC 1219 shows this restore point, as it does whenever updates are made.

Also shows SRP which I had left on before creating that image.

All is well, so I will stick to 1219.

You might understand that after what I experienced with 1223 I dare not install later versions, so I will stick to 1219. Even if you don't notice a difference.

No idea what caused the wiping of ALL SRPs then, the system runs well for the time being.

What's your opinion to this ?

henriette :)