After cleaning, Google stills knows where I live

argon

After using the Cleaner, I've often noticed that I would still have ads on my home page regarding busnesses near my home. Subsequently, I elimiated all cookies for web sites that might have my address from pior visits, purchases, etc. However, a few minutes ago, I googled Barnes & Noble, and near the top of the search results were a map and locations of B&N stores near my home. I ran the cleaner again, after checking my cookies again and getting rid of a couple more (via CC's cookie mgt.), and when I repeated the same search, again I get location-specific results. Google knows where I live. So, something is not being erased by CC. Does anyone know what it is? How can I ensure better anonymity online? How can I truly erase my online tracks? I have not selected any of the advanced options when cleaning; should I?

• Moderators

The cost of "free" software sadly is privacy.

Google and others store personal info on their servers with a view to providing their customers with "meaningful" browsing suggestions whenever they can. Very kind of them.

The Wall Street Journal cites a leaked Google ‘vision statement' which revealed the Internet giant is debating how far to go in exploiting its massive data trove of information on its users, which would provide priceless information for advertisers. Imagine you'd sent an email to a friend about needing a holiday and had written up a quick budget and some potential dates using Google Docs. Well, you would suddenly discover you were looking at Lastminute.com deals within your price range for the very dates you'd considered every time you browsed the web.

Remaining anonymous online is one small way to protect your privacy. Additionally there are steps you can take to protect your computer from invasive cookies (there are plenty of online guides). However, it may simply be that we now pay for all the free online content and services with our personal information. Information which has value to advertisers who pay to keep the sites we keep accessing online.

Just a couple of quotes from one article on one website.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dontpanic/the-high-price-of-free-content-p1108.html?subpage=2

There isn't a lot CCleaner or any other program, can do about stuff gathered like this, and that isn't meant to be sarcastic, just a statement re the wonderful world of "meaningful" and "helpful" browsing suggestions which just seem to pop up from nowhere.

:)

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way.

Hey, guys, thanks for the responses. I've just been at both B&N and Amazon researching a book purchase; thought I'd check back for a moment. I haven't yet read all the info/links you provided yet.... It occured to me as I was brousing that the town referred to in these ads is not my specific location; I live in a suburb with a different name. As I searched, both B&N as well as Amazon were presenting location-specific ads to me (I did not sign on to either). The only time I think I provide that town's name is when I want to check my Time Warner TV schedule. (I have the trio of services by Time Warner - phone, cable TV and RoadRunner internet) But, that cookie for the specific TV show line up gets deleted when I run CC.

I would like to use "ixquick.com" web site that deletes your trail within that search engine after three days or so, but it is a poor substitute for the real Google search engine. I just can't get the results I want from that site.

I'm pretty much a noob, but could there be some information within my registry that avoids being purged?

Overall, I like CCleaner a lot. (It is the only Piriform program that I've tried....)

Anyway, I'll read all of your advice later. Thank you all very much.

When you did those searches, were you signed into Google? It might be that Google know where you live because it has that info, like your zip code?

https://www.google.com/accounts/b/0/EditUserInfo

Try deleting your entire browsing history via the browser's settings and/or via CCleaners.

You know, I did sign up for Google's Gmail a couple of years ago. I didn't like it, and canceled my account a few days later. I'm thinking now that even though I no longer have the account, they probably still have my information, although I don't know exactly what information I was required to provide when I signed up. I guess I'll have to move. :)

• Moderators

Google pretty much knows the general area of a visitor. For a quick test search for a car manufacturer and sometimes you'll see listings of local or near where you live car dealers that show up. In my case in the very city I live in.

I used to/still think its based on your IP address.

Want to meet local cambridge girls tonight? lol

It is bassed on your ip.

No fate but what we make

Google pretty much knows the general area of a visitor. For a quick test search for a car manufacturer and sometimes you'll see listings of local or near where you live car dealers that show up. In my case in the very city I live in.

I tried your suggestion. Yes, the results included dealers within a 50 or so mile radius. Not only that, but as I was typing in the search criteria (name of auto mfr.), all those dealer locations appeared in the drop-down window that has suggested search criteria, tryig to guess/help you enter the search terms you are typing in.

I tried your suggestion. Yes, the results included dealers within a 50 or so mile radius. Not only that, but as I was typing in the search criteria (name of auto mfr.), all those dealer locations appeared in the drop-down window that has suggested search criteria, tryig to guess/help you enter the search terms you are typing in.

It's done on your ip.

No fate but what we make

It is bassed on your ip.

I don't suppose there's a way to mask that, is there? I imagine this is an essential piece of information that enables us to communicate with our IP and use the Internet....

I don't suppose there's a way to mask that, is there? I imagine this is an essential piece of information that enables us to communicate with our IP and use the Internet....

You can proxy, but whats the point? No trace is left on your machine. It's not a essesntial piece of information.

Proxying behind a different IP wont change your browsing experience.

Why are you worried so much?

No fate but what we make

You can proxy, but whats the point? No trace is left on your machine. It's not a essesntial piece of information.

Proxying behind a different IP wont change your browsing experience.

Why are you worried so much?

Ha, Ha... (Where's the laughing emoticon?) Not really worried, but learning what I have learned here these past few hours, I feel less concerned now about this identity thing. I realize now that my name and specific geographic location/home address isn't being revealed. I suppose it would be a good idea to run CCleaner immediately after making any/all on-line purchases...?

Ha, Ha... (Where's the laughing emoticon?) Not really worried, but learning what I have learned here these past few hours, I feel less concerned now about this identity thing. I realize now that my name and specific geographic location/home address isn't being revealed. I suppose it would be a good idea to run CCleaner immediately after making any/all on-line purchases...?

why clean after online purchase??? what you worried could be revealed?

Any thing brought online by me is done via paypal.

No fate but what we make

why clean after online purchase??? what you worried could be revealed?

Any thing brought online by me is done via paypal.

I'm not sure. Noobs worry about a lot of things (until they're sorted out)! I guess my position is to be concerned until the proper knowledge renders my concerns baseless; a defensive position. I guess I'm sort of a privacy nut also.

I do use PayPal when that option is available, but it often isn't an option (i.e., you must use your credit card at the point of purchase). I don't think that any installed internet security software is entirely fautless.

I'm happy that you and the others here have helped me understand more about this. Thanks.

I'm not sure. Noobs worry about a lot of things (until they're sorted out)! I guess my position is to be concerned until the proper knowledge renders my concerns baseless; a defensive position. I guess I'm sort of a privacy nut also.

I do use PayPal when that option is available, but it often isn't an option (i.e., you must use your credit card at the point of purchase). I don't think that any installed internet security software is entirely fautless.

I'm happy that you and the others here have helped me understand more about this. Thanks.

I suspect you are very worried about bank fraud etc. Which is good, Just dont be to over worried. People who get money taken are people who give out ther einformation to any old site/caller/email

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As the guys say above, be vigilant as to where you buy stuff from. You're card details can be ripped off in the real world if you're not careful, so the web is just another place to exercise caution, and most Security Software will flag known rip off sites.

Browsers usually have similar built in warnings, or you can get add-ons such as "WebOfTruth", which will flag suspicious sites.

Although there isn't a WOT addon for Opera, you can add a pretty effective address bar shortcut which will give pretty good functionality, although no in depth analysis.

a9C7ys.jpg

http://www.mywot.com/en/download

Every time you google for something, you can pretty much guarantee that ads for similar products will start appearing the next time you do a google, and so on and so on.

I googled for leather strapped chronograph watches an age ago, and I still get ads for watches popping up.

I feel like screaming at the screen "I've got a watch now, leave me alone!!".

Not really, but you get the idea.

It is bassed on your ip.

:lol: Yep.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Google knows my favorite brand of coffee.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

One more thing to add. I hate toolbars. The only one i would use is netcraft http://toolbar.netcraft.com/

It's an anti phising toolbar.

Me too! The only ones I have are an antiphishing toolbar and the Adobe Acrobat toolbar cause I do sometimes use it. They slow down the browser and take vertical space away from the browser window.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

My anti-Phising bar of choice is Mcafee SiteAdvisor (and WOT for Firefox, Chrome) but besure to turn off the secure search feature, you don't need another search box you've got a modern browser

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Try Scroogle, it searches Google for you and sends you the results; that way Google doesn't get your details. Google locates you using your IP address, then targets you with 'appropriate' adverts. Scroogle doesn't store your information or your search terms.

Here is the link for Scroogle: Scroogle.

As for using PayPal online, someone hacked my PayPal account and bought goods on ebay with it. The money left my account and it cost a few quid in phone calls, plus I had to wait to get my money back!