What do you want in CCleaner 3.0

ishan_rulz

I'd like to see built in support for wildcards using winapp2.ini

this doesn't exist right now, but I'm sure it could be implemented and would greatly improve functionality possibilities of winapp2.ini

+∞

Simplicity is hard.

I think this would take a long time. If there was, say, a "C:\Users\*\somefile.txt", CCleaner'd have to recursively search C:\Users to find all files named "somefile.txt". Not really fast.

Piriform French translator

So this is what we know:

http://www.piriform.com/blog/2010/9/6/ccleaner-v30-and-defraggler-v20

CCleaner v3.0

- Native 64-bit EXE

- GUI Redesign

+1

`To registry key lookup,

`Keeping XP support (Tho' I'm a happy 7 user now I still have XP machines to deal with - even the telco I work for is only upgrading

`from XP to 7 around the end of this year.)

`Moving the WFS

`A more automated update

`Easy Adding of startup entries

`An in program Help Menu

`Official winapp GUI with some wildcard options

I'd like to see:

The Start of organizing all the apps in one Piriform start menu folder.

fireryone

I think this would take a long time. If there was, say, a "C:\Users\*\somefile.txt", CCleaner'd have to recursively search C:\Users to find all files named "somefile.txt". Not really fast.

Well it'd still be usefor for things with per-user profile names, especially the OFTEN requested alternate builds of officially supported browsers.

• Moderators

I didn't knew CCleaner does that! I use a .reg file...

I use a wscript script from Kelly's XP Tweaks site it's on the left, and is:

53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area

It automatically end-tasks Explorer.exe, but you must immediately reboot yourself for any new Customizations to stick.

Works under WinXP, I don't know what it does in Vista or newer though, and Windows Script Host must be enabled to use it which is sort of a security risk leaving enabled.

• Moderators

One feature that's overdue for years now I think would be for CCleaner to auto end-task Explorer.exe after using 'Advanced->Tray Notifications Cache', then possibly ask for a system reboot or inform the user they need a reboot for Customize Notification icons to stick after using it.

One feature that's overdue for years now I think would be for CCleaner to auto end-task Explorer.exe after using 'Advanced->Tray Notifications Cache', then possibly ask for a system reboot or inform the user they need a reboot for Customize Notification icons to stick after using it.

A reboot is not needed. Typing "tskill explorer" into a command prompt / the Start Menu search bar will restart explorer.exe and thus reset the tray notification cache if it has been cleaned.

CCleaner could just do that - the only visible consequence is that all open Explorer windows will disappear, and the taskbar will disappear for a short while. Faster than rebooting :)

[EDIT] It seems a reboot is still needed in XP and lower.

Piriform French translator

When I end-tasked explorer.exe I had no start menu. Typing "tskill explorer" into a command prompt would have been impossible. Everything disappeared except task manager, and explorer.exe had disappeared from that menu. Keyboard was disabled. Could not reboot, had to power down with box button.

• Moderators

A reboot is not needed. Typing "tskill explorer" into a command prompt / the Start Menu search bar will restart explorer.exe and thus reset the tray notification cache if it has been cleaned.

CCleaner could just do that - the only visible consequence is that all open Explorer windows will disappear, and the taskbar will disappear for a short while. Faster than rebooting :)

I've seen the opposite happen where a reboot is required. For anyone using Windows XP a reboot is actually necessary from what I've seen on my system, and I've lost count how many times it's happened when I've forgotten to reboot, have configured the icons, rebooted later on and have to re-configure the icons all over again.

Edit:

I don't think Windows XP likes having that registry key location zapped while running, and end-tasking Explorer.exe isn't enough.

• Moderators

Don't forget IE9 support (probably already mentioned somewhere though).

when ie9 is released to public finished form it will be supported by ccleaner. expect me and/or winapp2.ini to have some sort of basic support once new features are figured out (i'll start to use the beta this week probably) but it's an early beta andx things tend to change with MS betas a lot until RTM/RTP

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

when ie9 is released to public finished form it will be supported by ccleaner. expect me and/or winapp2.ini to have some sort of basic support once new features are figured out (i'll start to use the beta this week probably) but it's an early beta andx things tend to change with MS betas a lot until RTM/RTP

Cool ok :)

Just wanted to jump in and say, it is 100% possible to kill explorer.exe and then reload it, on Windows XP SP1/SP2/SP3.

I've been doing this for years, because it takes off 15-20mb memory. I do it before I load up a game/program that is memory heavy.

restarting the explorer.exe process is as easy as hitting ctrl+alt+del, hitting the "New Task.." button, and typing in explorer.exe

It has always worked for me.

I'd like to see built in support for wildcards using winapp2.ini

this doesn't exist right now, but I'm sure it could be implemented and would greatly improve functionality possibilities of winapp2.ini

Also, This would be pretty useful to have..

I think the huge list after a registry scan is a bit long in some cases (first time scans) so a Open/close functionality would be nice.

2r5ao38.png

EDIT: Excuse the sketchy untidy work, a bit busy now.

EDIT #2: If you can't see what I'm trying to put across, it is a "+" symbol to see all the problems of a specific group at a time.

Simplicity is hard.