CCleaner v2.35.1219 won't detect Adobe Flash Player

Jamin4u

• Moderators

I can confirm that this is true

I can also confirm that this is due to double detect given in the inbuilt ini

if someone doesn't have flashplayer.xpt in the "%windir%\system32\Macromed\flash\" folder (as I did not) but does have the registry entry HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} flash will not show in ccleaner. I confirmed this by making a text file and calling it flashplayer.xpt and placing it in the folder.

Previous detect for flash was only the reg entry

Note this also made winapp2.ini flash entry appear (which also was not appearing until this file was added)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Some FYI:

Versions 2.33 and 2.34 did not show the flash player. Version 2.34 also had cookie removal problems for me so I went back to 2.33 and, in the mean time, I uninstalled and reinstalled adobe flash. Adobe flash still did not show up.

I installed ccleaner version 2.35 and Adobe flash shows up and all the cookies I've accumulated! I was able to remove all cookies that showed up in 'cookies to be removed'. For now, everything is working perfectly.

XP Home SP3 Opera 6.1

The .xpt file extension is a component or plugin (such as flashplayer.xpt) that adds features and functionality.

Those of us who don't use Firefox, Safari, Opera, and are using CCleaner v2.35.1219 will be affected by it not being in the folder.

The work around is stated above until an official fix in implemented.

I was just prompted to update CCleaner and when I went to remove Flash content, the Flash option wasn't there. I did noticed other options were added, which is nice.

I use the Flash Storage Settings page to remove Flash content, but I also like to run CCleaner after that to remove any other Flash files.

I'm using the latest version of Chrome beta on XP.

• Moderators

I was just prompted to update CCleaner and when I went to remove Flash content, the Flash option wasn't there. I did noticed other options were added, which is nice.

I use the Flash Storage Settings page to remove Flash content, but I also like to run CCleaner after that to remove any other Flash files.

I'm using the latest version of Chrome beta on XP.

Hmm sounds like you have a different issue if you paste "%windir%\system32\Macromed\flash\ into the run box, do you see a flashplayer.xpt?

Note: I have tested this and the detectfile overtakes detect(registry). By this I mean, if I have "%windir%\system32\Macromed\flash\flashplayer.xpt but do NOT have the registry entry HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} Flash is still detected by ccleaner

Also for those not willing/unable to make a file in the %windir% add the following to your winapp2.ini

[*Adobe Flash Player Temporary Entry]

ID=2055

LangSecRef=3023

Detect=HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

Default=True

SpecialKey1=N_FLASH_COOKIES

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Hmm sounds like you have a different issue if you paste "%windir%\system32\Macromed\flash\ into the run box, do you see a flashplayer.xpt?

Note: I have tested this and the detectfile overtakes detect(registry). By this I mean, if I have "%windir%\system32\Macromed\flash\flashplayer.xpt but do NOT have the registry entry HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} Flash is still detected by ccleaner.

There is no flashplayer.xpt file, but before the latest update, CCleaner was able to display Chrome's integrated Flash in its settings.

Note: I have tested this and the detectfile overtakes detect(registry). By this I mean, if I have "%windir%\system32\Macromed\flash\flashplayer.xpt but do NOT have the registry entry HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} Flash is still detected by ccleaner

Also for those not willing/unable to make a file in the %windir% add the following to your winapp2.ini

[*Adobe Flash Player Temporary Entry]

ID=2055

LangSecRef=3023

Default=True

SpecialKey1=N_FLASH_COOKIES

I am using IE8 on XP SP3.

Found that -

(1) dummy flashplayer.xpt file added an entry but did not result in detection

(2) adding above to winapp2.ini added an entry did not result in detection

(3) adding copy section below for Adobe Flash from embedded ini to winapp2.ini worked

[Adobe Flash Player]

LangSecRef=3023

Default=True

FileKey1=%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player|*.*|RECURSE

• Moderators

I am using IE8 on XP SP3.

Found that -

(1) dummy flashplayer.xpt file added an entry but did not result in detection

do you have windows hiding the extentions for known files if so you probably inavertantly made flashplayer.xpt.txt

There is no flashplayer.xpt file, but before the latest update, CCleaner was able to display Chrome's integrated Flash in its settings.

yup after some further investingation Chrome has flash built in and it runs from gcswf32.dll

can you do me a favor (since you have an installed chrome as opposed to my portable build) can you put chrome://plugins/ into the address bar and copy paste

Shockwave Flash - Version: 10,1,53,64
Description:	Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
Location:	M:\GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\5.0.375.125\gcswf32.dll

so the devs can work with that too

[rant] HA! Yet another reason for me not to like Chrome. IMHO built flash is bad idea. Note that it is at least one version old, and that you pretty much have to wait for a chrome update or jump through hoops to get the latest version. [/rant]

note to all: MR T already stated they are working on a fix, so this should not be a problem for too long

yup after some further investingation Chrome has flash built in and it runs from gcswf32.dll

can you do me a favor (since you have an installed chrome as opposed to my portable build) can you put chrome://plugins/ into the address bar and copy paste

Shockwave Flash - Version: 10,1,53,64
Description:	Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
Location:	M:\GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\5.0.375.125\gcswf32.dll

so the devs can work with that too

[rant] HA! Yet another reason for me not to like Chrome. IMHO built flash is bad idea. Note that it is at least one version old, and that you pretty much have to wait for a chrome update or jump through hoops to get the latest version. [/rant]

note to all: MR T already stated they are working on a fix, so this should not be a problem for too long

Here's the requested info.

Flash - Version: 10.1.82.76

Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82

Name: Shockwave Flash

Description: Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82

Version: 10,1,82,76

Priority: 2

Location: C:\Documents and Settings\[username removed]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\6.0.472.51\gcswf32.dll

Regarding built-in Flash in Chrome, I actually like it :-) I mean, there was that time back when a new version of Flash 10.1 RC was out and Chrome was still using a version number lower, but that's been about it. I do hate though that I have to wait for Google to update Chrome and Flash, but if I install Flash and disable the integrated version in Chrome.

Edited by TekFan

CCleaner v2.35.1219 won't detect Adobe Flash Player.

Not listed under Cleaner > Applications > Multimedia

Flash cookies aren't listed in Options > Cookies

This is the case on both of my boxes, XP and Vista.

I'm using Internet Explorer as my browser.

add windows 7 to the mixed new version updated adobe everything but flash player is not listed in apps?

Well, the first time I tried it, it didn't work, now I just added a dummy "flashplayer.xpt" file in the Flash folder and Flash now appears in CCleaner's Multimedia menu.

I don't know if I have HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} 'cause I don't know where in the Registry to find it, but creating said dummy file does make CCleaner detect Flash.

Thanks for the tip Nergal.

I'll wait for the update to CCleaner before removing that file.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = HKCR

So that would be the CLSID subfolder of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Thanks for the info Winapp2.ini. Usually I just go into the CURRENT_USER and LOCAL_MACHINE folders to remove stuff left behind by uninstallers.

Yes, the {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} entry is there.

• Moderators

Can the User with Chrome Confirm that their version is also fixed?

Can the User with Chrome Confirm that their version is also fixed?

I'm on Chrome and updated CCleaner to the latest release and Flash is now showing up in CCleaner's Multimedia menu. I first removed the flashplayer.xpt dummy file from the Flash folder and then updated CCleaner via the piriform.com download link (I normally use FileHippo's download link, but this time I decided to try the other download link).

Thanks for the fix.