Microsoft continues trying to kill XP

Winapp2.ini

And yours was what.

Read first part of my post.

I'm not trying to start a brawl here, so forget it.

On topic:

I don't know what Microsoft is up to. They can't make up their mind, or so it seems. They keep extending their support to XP and it goes the other way too. I think they are just waiting for XPites to migrate to Se7en, but their methods are failing. They should provide reasonable upgrade facilities.

Anyhow, Se7en has XP-Mode which helps in compatibility of ancient softwares in times of need. I know it will cost a lot for people to upgrade but Se7en is the next XP, XP's successor. XP was really good but its aging now and its time it bit the dust.

Simplicity is hard.

Are you kidding? :P

Driver backup programs exist for XP. You can run High Def Audio in XP. You can Visual Style XP. XP works with programs that 7 dies on.

What programs are you thinking they will have to upgrade XP to 7 because of? I can't think of any...

No I'm not kidding. What programs do I think they will have to up grade to Windows 7 to use? IE9, Windows Media Player 12, Windows Live Essentials just to name a few. As time goes on most programs will drop XP support. How many programs work on Windows 95 or 98? Well XP is a thing of the past and will end up the same way. So will Windows 7 as some point. That's life.

Anyhow, Se7en has XP-Mode which helps in compatibility of ancient softwares in times of need. I know it will cost a lot for people to upgrade but Se7en is the next XP, XP's successor. XP was really good but its aging now and its time it bit the dust.

XP mode only helps people on Windows 7 run old programs. The problem is going to be XP users finding out that the new programs coming out don't support XP and many of the current ones will stop supporting XP. I have read there is talk of FireFox dropping support for XP. They just dropped support for Macs running non Intel chips and those machines are about 4 or 5 years old. Once the programs stop supporting XP it will die off quick.

And if all this hasn't convinced you and you still want to argue over the XP vs 7 issue, Google it.

Link 1

Link 2

Sorry, but...benchmarks aren't real-life situations.

Besides, most of those "benchmarks" are quite obscure (your first link mentions SunSpider...that's a browser benchmark...).

However, the new things introduced by Win7 and backported to Vista are awesome.

For example, DirectCompute can dramatically speed up effects on large images - in Paint.NET, the DirectCompute implementation of some blurs is up to 310x faster (no typo) than the CPU implementation of said blurs. But this can't be shown in a benchmark, since benchmarks are forced to use software working on all platforms the same way.

Piriform French translator

Sorry, but...benchmarks aren't real-life situations.

Besides, most of those "benchmarks" are quite obscure (your first link mentions SunSpider...that's a browser benchmark...).

However, the new things introduced by Win7 and backported to Vista are awesome.

For example, DirectCompute can dramatically speed up effects on large images - in Paint.NET, the DirectCompute implementation of some blurs is up to 310x faster (no typo) than the CPU implementation of said blurs. But this can't be shown in a benchmark, since benchmarks are forced to use software working on all platforms the same way.

Those are just few of the links.

I think I have come to the conclusion that it depends on what you need. If you're comfortable with XP and what it has to offer, stay there. Why spend unnecessarily. On the other hand, if you want to stay up-to-date, get the latest softwares and if you're on-the-go... Upgrade.

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

I'm on XP, and I've no intention of changing unless I buy a new computer, and even then I would be happy to transfer what I already have to that computer.

I have absolutely no desire to change. Not because I'm a dinosaur, not because of the cost, not because I'm stuck in the past, not because I feel trepidation about anything new.

Simply because it does everything I want, and I have all the programs I need.

I can play and rip CD's and DVD's. I can access the internet. I can manipulate and organize my photographs. I can tag my MP3's with Metadata, and I can sync my Walkman with Windows Media Player. I can convert audio and video to any format.

Changing to a new OS wouldn't improve any of what I already have.

When support for XP is dropped by MS, it won't make the slightest difference to me. And there isn't any new software out there which would improve on what I already have.

There are an awful lot of people who change for changes sake, or have to have the latest and most up to date of everything, or believe that changing will somehow improve on what they already have, or folk who know for sure that a new OS will enrich their computing experience.

All fine and legitimate reasons, but there are people who just aren't swayed in the least by all the arguments about changing. And I'm one of them.

I really have absolutely no interest in which Operating System I have as long as I can carry out the things I mentioned above.

Check with me in 12 months or even two years time, and I'll still be on XP unless some unforeseen circumstance forces me onto something different.

Just my two penneth of course.

I'm on XP, and I've no intention of changing unless I buy a new computer, and even then I would be happy to transfer what I already have to that computer.

I have absolutely no desire to change. Not because I'm a dinosaur, not because of the cost, not because I'm stuck in the past, not because I feel trepidation about anything new.

I can play and rip CD's and DVD's. I can access the internet. I can manipulate and organize my photographs. I can tag my MP3's with Metadata, and I can sync my Walkman with Windows Media Player. I can convert audio and video to any format.

Changing to a new OS wouldn't improve any of what I already have.

When support for XP is dropped by MS, it won't make the slightest difference to me. And there isn't any new software out there which would improve on what I already have.

There are an awful lot of people who change for changes sake, or have to have the latest and most up to date of everything, or believe that changing will somehow improve on what they already have, or folk who know for sure that a new OS will enrich their computing experience.

All fine and legitimate reasons, but there are people who just aren't swayed in the least by all the arguments about changing. And I'm one of them.

I really have absolutely no interest in which Operating System I have as long as I can carry out the things I mentioned above.

Check with me in 12 months or even two years time, and I'll still be on XP unless some unforeseen circumstance forces me onto something different.

Just my two penneth of course.

That is worth all the argument in the World Wide Web.

Simplicity is hard.

I'm not trying to start a brawl here...

Me neither, still, there is tension in the air... :o .

I read everything in those 2 links, ishan_rulz...good information, thank you. Couple of comments (Oh Dear, Here We Go...).

- IMHO, WXP looks pretty derned good on all the comparisons except DirectX and networking.

- The statement on page 4 at MaximumPC (link 1) is a good summary: "...W7 was a few percent slower than XP SP3, but faster than Vista SP2" :)

- New functionalities = none ??, improved functionalities = a few, dropped functonalities = a few.

- Interestingly, nobody mentioned durability over time. Every Win I've ever used slowed down over time. Wonder if W7 will also?

- When you throw out the quantified measures you are left with opinion like "feels snappier" or "apps seem to load faster". That's not intended to belittle, its a good enough reason to buy something. But not me, and I wish not my tax money.

- Must agree w/ DenninD, for me cost must be justified by need, not coolness.

Microsoft seems to show a pattern: Release a good OS, then a pig, let the users tune it up, then a good one, then a pig, etc. For example, (with a couple left out):

w3.1 = great start > W95 = OK > W98 = good > WME = ouch > WXP = good > Vista = ouch > W7 good...W8?

A prediction: Users will adopt W7 more slowly than any other Win OS in history. Because of the Vista debacle, and the present economic situation.

Going now to hide under a rock with the dinosaurs.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

The machine I'm typing on is XPx64. Web browser, movies, burner, audacity, laser printer etc.

What would make me move to a newer OS would be a killer app that wouldnt run on XP.

I run one linux box for a killer app that wont run on MS.[too lazy to go linux whole hog]. :)

A prediction: Users will adopt W7 more slowly than any other Win OS in history. Because of the Vista debacle, and the present economic situation.

You are already wrong on that one. Windows 7 is doing very well and is blowing away Vista at this point in Vista's release.

As for the rest of the comments on not upgrading from XP. I am reading a lot of excuses for staying with XP and I don't buy any of them. Having said that it's your choice so do what you want. One thing I know for sure is that sooner or later you are going to update from XP weather you like it or not or you will simply be left behind. Your computers will die or something else will happen but you will need to upgrade at some point. In the mean time you fall further behind in knowledge and I don't see how that benefits you in any way. Most of you have an interest in computers or you wouldn't be on this forum. You will be of less and less help as time goes on. You already can't be helpful with Vista or W7 questions and by the sounds of it you will stay with XP even after W8 comes out so you won't be any help with that either. You can't be into computers and not keep up it doesn't make sense.

The machine I'm typing on is XPx64. Web browser, movies, burner, audacity, laser printer etc.

What would make me move to a newer OS would be a killer app that wouldnt run on XP.

I run one linux box for a killer app that wont run on MS.[too lazy to go linux whole hog]. :)

Compiz Fusion only runs on Linux, its the one thing I miss the absolute most from my Ubuntu days. :(

...sooner or later you are going to update from XP weather you like it or not...

You are quite right. >Sigh< Soon I will be dragged kicking and biting into this new millenium... :D

I must already leave most helping to others, the learning curve is steeper than I want to climb, but for those who help, it is certainly important to keep current.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Is there something stopping you from using Linux?

Well I am an avid gamer and at one point I ran ubuntu / winxp (prior to vista coming out) but as time went on, I used ubuntu less and less

at one point it corrupted my MBR and I just junked the partition after fixing windows, since I felt like Linux wasn't as practical (I'd use it for my basic web browsing / chatting, ect.)

I haven't tried putting it on this computer, but I have two computers sitting idle in my bedroom with XP on them, I may toss ubuntu on one of them some day.. for old times sake.

• Moderators
As for the rest of the comments on not upgrading from XP. I am reading a lot of excuses for staying with XP and I don't buy any of them.

Trouble is, your interpretation of a reason is an excuse. I don't need an excuse to make my own choice, and as to you not buying them, I'm not trying to sell them to you.

And of course in my two penneth worth above, I made no attempt to denegrate any of the various reasons folk have for wanting to change Operating Systems, as other peoples choices are theirs to make, and I repect each and every one of them.

Having said that it's your choice so do what you want.

There we agree.

One thing I know for sure is that sooner or later you are going to update from XP weather you like it or not or you will simply be left behind.

The assumption that I'll be left behind infers that one needs to keep up. Keep up with what, technology? I'm not a "have to keep up" animal. Once again, I'm content with what I have, and it does everything I want, and probably does it better than a lot of folk with shiny new Win7 outfits.

In the mean time you fall further behind in knowledge and I don't see how that benefits you in any way. Most of you have an interest in computers or you wouldn't be on this forum.

Not really true. I learned most of what I know about XP and Operating Systems in general from the members on this forum over the last 4 years. By asking questions and taking notes, and by using good old google.

I learned very little by "peeking under the hood" so to speak, and some of us are here more for the community than an interest in computers. My PC is simply a means to a number of ends, one of them being to lend a hand to folk with problems in the same way members on here helped me when I first joined.

It's not about the computer.

You will be of less and less help as time goes on.

I'll muddle through with google and picking peoples brains.

You already can't be helpful with Vista or W7 questions and by the sounds of it you will stay with XP even after W8 comes out so you won't be any help with that either.

Again, I'll muddle through by doing a bit research. I'm pretty sure I can learn more from google than I could from actually having a Win7 OS at my finger tips.

A perfectly running computer loaded with Win7 doesn't help at all in solving the problems people come here with.

Having a smooth running computer with XP has never aided me in finding a solution for folk having a problem with XP. You have to find the relative information needed by tracking down others who've experienced that problem, and have a solution.

Not always easy, but the answers are usually out their somewhere, and definitely not under my desk.

You can't be into computers and not keep up it doesn't make sense.

Once again the assumption that "keeping up" is a necessity. For me "keeping up" doesn't even come into the equation.

I'm one of those lucky people not afflicted by the "keeping up" thing.

:)

I'm not trying to start a brawl here, so forget it.

On topic:

I don't know what Microsoft is up to. They can't make up their mind, or so it seems. They keep extending their support to XP and it goes the other way too. I think they are just waiting for XPites to migrate to Se7en, but their methods are failing. They should provide reasonable upgrade facilities.

I know about the compatibility mode, but there is a game called Fire Fight by Epic Mega Games. However wonderful 7 is, it will not run that game no matter which compatibility mode you choose, 98/me, xp sp2, etc, while it will run it under XP 98 compatibility mode.

7 may be newer, but they need to test it more before releasing it because compat mode under 7 just doesn't seem to work all too often while it does work around 95% of the time in XP.

Just sayin... I test thousands of programs.

Well I am an avid gamer and at one point I ran ubuntu / winxp (prior to vista coming out) but as time went on, I used ubuntu less and less

at one point it corrupted my MBR and I just junked the partition after fixing windows, since I felt like Linux wasn't as practical (I'd use it for my basic web browsing / chatting, ect.)

I haven't tried putting it on this computer, but I have two computers sitting idle in my bedroom with XP on them, I may toss ubuntu on one of them some day.. for old times sake.

It does seem to happen that the boot loader can be corrupted running a dual boot configuration like that involving linux + windows.

It may not happen to everyone, but it seems in my testing it does happen fairly often over time & multiple reboot scenarios.

Have you tried a clean install? They seem to work better.

I liked my old XP it's now my old backup and hey, maybe just stick it out another ~2 years......

Focus To Next OS In July 2010

Chris Brandrick, PC World

Dec 2, 2009 10:23 pm

Various job listings posted online this November have hinted at when Microsoft plans to shift its focus to Windows 8.

Most early adopters of Microsoft's latest offering, Windows 7, are still getting settled into the month-old OS, and discovering what the highly favored current version of Windows can do. However, it seems the guys up in Redmond aren't just hanging around, as this past month alone Microsoft has posted seven job openings in the hopes of finding folks to work on Windows 8.

Technology site Ars Technica discovered the job listings over on Microsoft's official careers page. Some of the listings have since been edited or removed, but Ars Technica still has the original listings available in full on their site.

So what tidbits of Windows 8 knowledge can we glean from the vacancies listed? We already know from a recent product roadmap that Microsoft's next OS is expected to hit retail some time in 2012, and according to rumors it could pack in 128-bit support (though some have cast doubt on that possibility).

But these fresh vacancies, which include an assortment of positions such as testers, project management personnel, and launch leads, hint that Microsoft is planning to shift its internal focus to Windows 8 as they "head into Fy11". The fiscal year for 2011 begins in July of 2010, which gives Microsoft two years to perfect Windows 8 before it's expected 2012 debut.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

Please either read about IE, ActiveX, Win7, try Win7 with modern programs, and think before posting, or don't post in this thread. Seriously.

I already did. MSDN is a well respected website. Here is an example of another user & the way Windows 7 kills the process. The older one I listed earlier was only 1 example. But it affects new programs too. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowscompatibility/thread/23ade66a-f5c8-441f-813c-de9e20b9aa6a

Additionally, please read this MSDN feature about active X problems http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2009/07/15/internet-explorer-s-activex-security-mitigations-in-use.aspx

Active X is still present in IE 8, so despite "updates", it still is vulnerable due to the ability that Active X leaves a big hole on your system waiting for some malicious process to auto install. Using a secure browser like Firefox eliminates 95% or more of drive by malware types. To be honest, whether in XP, Vista, 7, just by switching users to Firefox alone, the drop in malware infection calls has been astounding.

Check this website out while you are at it. I find it appalling that IE not only seems to get worse with each generation at passing the acid tests, but it gets more buggy. Meaning, 12 out of 100 on acid test 3 for IE 8 (The latest other than the 9 they are working on?) is just awful! Firefox gets a much better 93 out of 100, with some browsers doing even better. The newer versions of Firefox get 96 or higher, I believe. I tested IE & found that on version 8, it ranged from around 4 to a max of 20 tabs depending on what websites I had loaded before it would endlessly loop or crash claiming it was trying to recover the tabs. Firefox? I have had up to 1611 tabs open at one time before without it crashing. Not saying it never crashes, but as you can see, definitely far more stable. Here is the site. Scroll down to see the graphs. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687738/Big-browser-comparison-test-Internet-Explorer-vs-Firefox-Opera-Safari-and-Chrome-Update-Firefox-35-Final/Practice/

Here is a cool website to check browser compatibility for a ton of browsers at once http://browsershots.org/

All of these should be recent enough to be considered modern, new, whatever. It is not a program age problem. I already researched & tested this. Microsoft just shortens the time to kill a hung app in 7 to an unacceptably quick time. Note that this does not happen on every program, & it is dependent on the type of program loading. Certain kinds confuse 7 worse. Even newer programs have been killed off, programs say, in August 2010 that were just released.

If you need any other information, just let me know. I will be happy to provide documentation/links/hard references/examples.

XP mode only helps people on Windows 7 run old programs. The problem is going to be XP users finding out that the new programs coming out don't support XP and many of the current ones will stop supporting XP. I have read there is talk of FireFox dropping support for XP. They just dropped support for Macs running non Intel chips and those machines are about 4 or 5 years old. Once the programs stop supporting XP it will die off quick.

If firefox does kill it off, there is always Opera, Google Chrome, Safari, etc. So many choices.

Plus, a lot of installers merely block you from installing based on the OS you have. The support is still there in many cases, they just use a script to block you from installing it.

A simple install to the updated machine, copy to the older, back in business. Easier still, UniExtract can extract installer files in most cases...

You just have to know the tricks they pull. Kind of deceptive to claim "it no longer is supported" when all they really do a lot of times is simply block it's use on an older machine at the install level. Install Shield & other companies support these kinds of tech.

And so they should :) Its insecure (biggest problem with using it), uses a bunch of deprecated technologies and basically, the ecosystem just needs to move onto better things.

Windows media foundation, direct compute, all those kernel changes up to Win 7 / Server 2008 R2. I could go on and on, but the point is clear - XP is deprecated legacy code.