Cookies won't delete

nadnetut

I'm running CCleaner 2.34.1200. Recently I've noticed that after running CCleaner some cookies listed in the "cookies to delete" column remain. I can't get CCleaner to delete them no matter what I do. Is this a known problem? Is anyone else seeing this?

Hi nadnetut, and welcome to Piriform.

Make sure you have "Adobe Flash Player" checked in "CCleaner\Applications\Multimedia" as they may be flash cookies.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip. It's a good idea. Unfortunately I already have every type of multi-media application checked.

If you or others think of any other things I might have missed I will welcome the advice.

Had the same problem. Did notice that Opera cookies was unchecked so I checked it and the "cookies to delete" went away.

Maybe that's the 'fix' as I too use Opera.

Maybe it's different because of Opera 10.6?

I've never had to do this before, however.

Could be an improvement in ccleaner, I suppose.

Thanks for the tip.

Maybe that's the 'fix' as I too use Opera.

Maybe it's different because of Opera 10.6?

I've never had to do this before, however.

Could be an improvement in ccleaner, I suppose.

Thanks for the tip.

Good advice from all, but I use Firefox not Opera and the symptom persists. So I'm hoping another Firefox user confirms my story or offers a solution.

Perhaps the problem is a "gift" to all evil websites from Adobe - zombie cookies which come to life after they are killed.

I suggest that without closing CCleaner, immediately after cleaning do an analyse.

If the cookies remain in the delete column then CCleaner is probably blocked by Windows Permissions Issues.

If the cookies are gone they have been killed.

Then shut down and reboot WITHOUT allowing any browser etc to collect more cookies.

Run CCleaner and if those cookies are again available to delete they are probably zombie cookies.

If that is not the problem then I suggest the problem should be clearly identified.

Only if you do this can someone else visit the site to possibly receive a similar cookie,

and then be able to advise how to deal with it.

e.g.

forum.piriform.com

forums.comodo.com

forums.techguy.com

Alan

Perhaps the problem is a "gift" to all evil websites from Adobe - zombie cookies which come to life after they are killed.

I suggest that without closing CCleaner, immediately after cleaning do an analyse.

If the cookies remain in the delete column then CCleaner is probably blocked by Windows Permissions Issues.

If the cookies are gone they have been killed.

Then shut down and reboot WITHOUT allowing any browser etc to collect more cookies.

Run CCleaner and if those cookies are again available to delete they are probably zombie cookies.

If that is not the problem then I suggest the problem should be clearly identified.

Only if you do this can someone else visit the site to possibly receive a similar cookie,

and then be able to advise how to deal with it.

e.g.

forum.piriform.com

forums.comodo.com

forums.techguy.com

Alan

My final word on this. Alan inspired me to learn about "zombie cookies" and this article

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/07/privacy-lawsuit-targets-net-giants-over-zombie-cookies.ars

contains both a great explanation and a pointer to a remedy-add-on for Firefox users. It's worth checking. My zombie cookies are now gone.

Can confirm, it's fixed, but I use Opera.

EDIT: Strange thing though... When I surf in Opera and cookies show up to be deleted, they have an Internet Explorer icon instead of an Opera one.

Thanks everybody. I have loaded the newest CCleaner version and I have successfully erased all of the cookies which show up in the Options/Cookies list (with Firefox as my browser). I am willing to conclude that the problem appears to be solved. I am also grateful to Alan for making me aware of the "Zombie Cookie" issue which Adobe has created and others are exploiting. I have installed the "Better Privacy" add-on in Firefox and I am now erasing the Adobe "super cookies" as well as the ordinary cookies. My god, it is an eternal battle to protect yourself from exploiters on the web.

Thanks again.

I've downloaded the latest release (v2.35.1223) and noticed that cookies still remain in the Options/Cookies list. Specifically cookies from msnbc.msn.com remain after cleaning. The cookies are gone after I reboot the system though. Is it possible they are ghost listings of cookies that were deleted?

System: Windows XP Pro and with Internet Explorer 8.

I am now running V2.35.1223 also, but I run Windows 7 and Firefox.

I no longer see any cookies left in my list even if I visit msnbc.msn.com. I notice that CCleaner is now deleting all of my LSO (Flash cookies) as well as the normal browser cookies.

In short my observations of 2.35.1223 are not the same as yours. Our different environments probably explain that but at least all ends well after a reboot. Perhaps some XP users will weigh in.

OK - I had just noticed lately that cookies were not deleting too but didn't do anything as busy until today downloaded new version 235.1223

and ran it to check and still there. So came here - ticked Adobe which wasn't for some reason (scratch head) and ran it again and voila - gone. Fixed.

I've downloaded the latest release (v2.35.1223) and noticed that cookies still remain in the Options/Cookies list. Specifically cookies from msnbc.msn.com remain after cleaning. The cookies are gone after I reboot the system though. Is it possible they are ghost listings of cookies that were deleted?

System: Windows XP Pro and with Internet Explorer 8.

I should add that I do have Adobe Flash Player selected under the Cleaner/Applications tab.

• Moderators

I should add that I do have Adobe Flash Player selected under the Cleaner/Applications tab.

Yes it's due to the Dat file (or in Firefox the database's index) still listing them until reboot.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

cid-c865c0dfce9abe9c.office.live.com

cid-c865c0dfce9abe9c.profile.live.com

cid-c865c0dfce9abe9c.profile.live.com

cid-e7b095f87d152308.photos.live.com

cid-e7b095f87d152308.profile.live.com

cid-e7b095f87d152308.skydrive.live.com

devicehelp.vodafone.co.uk

forum.vodafone.co.uk

secure.shared.live.com

shop.nationalgeographic.com

www.dudleynews.co.uk

www.paypal.com

www.rightmove.co.uk

www.yell.com

The above entries are showing in the 'cookies to delete' section (and many more) and they won't delete. They all show as 'Internet Explorer'.

Did a search for these files and was unable to find them.

All applications are ticked in Ccleaner (which is the latest version). I didn't have this problem with the previous version (though the information was probably on my PC but Ccleaner was not detecting it).

I am very concerned about this from a security point of view as one of the cookies is PayPal!

When I search using Windows Explorer, I have 'hide system files' unchecked but it finds nothing. Ccleaner must be getting this information from somewhere!

Rebooting makes NO difference.

Also, tried booting to 'safe mode command prompt', del index.dat /s then rebooted but this didn't work either!

My PC uses Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and I use both IE8 and Firefox.

• Moderators

You have all applications checked, which means all the browsers, including Opera if it's listed, and Adobe Flash Player if it's listed (let us know if it isn't).

You've rebooted, and tried getting rid of these reluctant cookies in safe mode.

Thinking out loud here as the usual suspects are "Adobe Flash Player", which I believe won't be picked up by CCleaner if you don't have the "ActiveX" Internet Explorer plug-in installed, the Opera check box and the index.dat file.

Are all of these covered andy?

You have all applications checked, which means all the browsers, including Opera if it's listed, and Adobe Flash Player if it's listed (let us know if it isn't).

You've rebooted, and tried getting rid of these reluctant cookies in safe mode.

Thinking out loud here as the usual suspects are "Adobe Flash Player", which I believe won't be picked up by CCleaner if you don't have the "ActiveX" Internet Explorer plug-in installed, the Opera check box and the index.dat file.

Are all of these covered andy?

I have Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX & Plugin installed, and Adobe Flash Player is ticked in Ccleaner. Opera is not listed as I don't have it installed. IE8 & Firefox are both selected on Ccleaner.