not stopping StartUp item

Jeff Davis

I have tried to use my cCleaner v2.34.1200 to stop an program called Registry Booster from starting at startup. I have disabled it in my cCleaner - Tools - Startup several times. Then I restart my pc and it just starts Registry Booster and when I open cCleaner, it is shown as Yes (not No) under Enabled. Why is this happening?

• Moderators

sounds like booster has a routine in it to make sure it is always enabled. I personally wouldn't use such a program, it sounds like it would cause much more havoc than good. I'd suggest uninstalling Booster, or at least go into the preferences of the program and see if it has some option for turning off startup.

Personal Note: I don't trust Uniblue nor registry booster it's a dangerous if not a scam. the few times I reg clean it's through ccleaner's VERY gentle cleaner and it's very selective I never clean everything. again I would HIGHLY suggest dumping registry booster as it has been known to cause issues even for the most skilled computer users. Also rumor has it that their "Microsoft Gold Partner" badge is a lie (*a rumor I give some credence to as the majority of MVP's I've run across do not suggest using it (e.g. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/d6052f5d-be7d-48b8-bbdc-702f91d66fff )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Registry Booster probably created a Service for itself that makes it run Automatically at startup. If that's the case you may end up having to turn it off until you need it then turn it back on. If you set the Service to "Manual," Registry Booster might come on only when you manually start it but I've heard Manual isn't always reliable, you might just have to experiment.

There might be an option to hide the Tray icon but if the Service is set to Automatic the core program will still run at startup, you just won't see the icon. As Nergal said, there may be an preference you can set to terminate the program core from running at startup. That, imo, would be the best solution, or uninstall.

Another possibility, Registry Booster might have installed itself in your Startup folder. Start>All Programs>Startup. If it's in there you may have to remove it and put it somewhere like Program Files>Registry Booster, then remove it from your Startup list. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't reinstall itself to your Startup folder.