Recuva can't find my external hard drive

slalomrm

Hi,

When I try to run Recuva to recover data on my Seagate Free Agent Pro external hard drive connected to my laptop via USB, Recuva does not find my hard drive. I have tried all of the Recuva default location options (i.e., "I'm not sure," "On my media card," and "In a specific location."). My external hard drive does not show up in Windows 7 when I click on "Computer," but it does show up under Windows 7's "Devices and Printers," and also shows up Windows 7's "Computer Management."

Data recovery programs such as VirtualLab and Easeaus have successfully located my Seagate Free Agent Pro external hard drive, but those programs are not much help due to their freee edition limited functionability.

Can anyone please advise me on how to get Recuva to locate and recover data on my external hard drive?

Thank you in advance.

• Moderators

Not showing up under "Computer", which I'm assuming is the same as "My Computer" in my XP, I was thinking it may be because the drive doesn't have a properly designated drive letter, which you could probably fix by using what in my XP is called "Disk Management".

"Start\Right Click "My Computer"\Manage\Disk Management". I'm not sure if what you term "Computer Management is the same thing.

You could properly assign the drive a disk letter, or maybe even try assigning it a different free one to see if it would make a difference.

Other than that, try another free recovery program. "Handy Recovery". The free version is at the bottom of the page. I've just tried it, and it's not bad.

http://www.handyrecovery.com/download.shtml

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Does it show up on another computer when you plug it in?

Have you tried plugging it into a different usb port on your laptop?

Have you tried plugging it in (and switched on if it has a switch) and then booting?

Also have a read here, quite a few ggod ideas

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic140458.html

Let us know how you go on :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Thanks. I tried to re-designate a drive letter in disk management, but was unsuccessful. I checked out Handy Recovery, but that program only permits free users to save 1 file per day.

My apologies. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have posted it for you.

I tried it out by recovering one album I deleted yesterday, and left it at that.

Hazelnut,

Thank you for your reply. The drive did not show up when I plugged it into an XP machine. I have tried the drive USB cable in multiple USB ports on my laptop (with and without my wireless mouse USB dongle plugged into the computer). I have also turned the drive off and then on while the computer is on, and booted up the computer with the drive on and plugged into the computer. No luck.

I reviewed the link you suggested. The link contains many suggestions. None of the general USB drive troubleshooting advice seems to apply to my situation. I also tried renaming the drive via Windows 7 Disk Management, but renaming was not an option presented in the right-click window. I am somewhat reluctant to attempt some of the registry/bios modification steps recommended, as I do not want to compound my current problem by messing up my new laptop.

Thanks again.

• Moderators

Try downloading and installing the freeware utility "USBDeview". (proper freeware application this time).

If your drive shows up, there are options to "re-enable" it, or to toggle "disable\enable". I use this utility myself, and I've tried "disabling" a USB flash drive with it, and after doing that, it will not get picked up in any USB port.

But after selecting "Display Disconnected Devices", which picks up my disabled drive, I can re-enable it again.

Worth a shot.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I use this for disconnecting all the USB peripherals I use, including a portable USB hard drive. It might just kick-start your drive into being recognized again.

EDIT: If you need any advice about using it, just post back, and there is a good description of what it does and how to etc, further down that page.

Thanks to all posters for the helpful suggestions. Fortunately, I just used TestDisk version 6.11, open source software, to find, recover and re-write my lost partition on my Seagate Free Agent Pro external hard drive. I simply followed the step-by-step instructions available via this link: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step. I had to utilized the "Deeper Search" option, but my drive now shows up under "Computer" in Windows 7 (My Computer in XP) and all of my files are listed and intact. Yes!

Thanks again.

Thanks to all posters for the helpful suggestions. Fortunately, I just used TestDisk version 6.11, open source software, to find, recover and re-write my lost partition on my Seagate Free Agent Pro external hard drive. I simply followed the step-by-step instructions available via this link: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step. I had to utilized the "Deeper Search" option, but my drive now shows up under "Computer" in Windows 7 (My Computer in XP) and all of my files are listed and intact. Yes!

Thanks again.

I have Testdisk, although I never got around to checking it out at the moment. Will have to test it later. Thank you for the info. Glad you got it fixed.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all posters for the helpful suggestions. Fortunately, I just used TestDisk version 6.11, open source software, to find, recover and re-write my lost partition on my Seagate Free Agent Pro external hard drive. I simply followed the step-by-step instructions available via this link: http://www.cgsecurit...k_Step_By_Step. I had to utilized the "Deeper Search" option, but my drive now shows up under "Computer" in Windows 7 (My Computer in XP) and all of my files are listed and intact. Yes!

Thanks again.

Thank you so much!

I downloaded a bunch of other software but they just installed crapware or asked me to pay 80 dollars after their 3 hour scan and "free trial". I doubt that you will be able to see this but I just got all my files back so I really appreciate it! Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Thank you so much!

I downloaded a bunch of other software but they just installed crapware or asked me to pay 80 dollars after their 3 hour scan and "free trial". I doubt that you will be able to see this but I just got all my files back so I really appreciate it! Sorry for bumping an old thread.

HI, Well i couldnt believe the same when it happened to me, & almost a week later!

i have a Medion HDDrive 500GB external hard drive & a HP Desktop 74.5GB

I dont know if the same person is still about? or maybe someone has tried out Testdisk since then.

It happened last night, but while i thought i was almost there

i'd like to know is, that when you run it & select a media etc:

when you follow these steps: Select a media (use arrow keys, then press Enter) :

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Running_TestDisk

All i got was:

Disk / dev/sda - 80GB / 74 GB WDC WD800BB-00JHA0

I dont really know if that's the C; drive which is about the same size, could someone advise as i thought i'd better be cautious & ask someone.

Thanks for any help.

• Moderators

Hi dave, and welcome to Piriform.

That's almost certainly your C: System Drive, usually displayed first as /sda, but you can confirm yourself by the drive type.

You say your USB drive is Medion, whereas the "disk" listed is Western Digital.

I'm assuming your USB was plugged in when you launched TestDisk?

Hi dave, and welcome to Piriform.

That's almost certainly your C: System Drive, usually displayed first as /sda, but you can confirm yourself by the drive type.

You say your USB drive is Medion, whereas the "disk" listed is Western Digital.

I'm assuming your USB was plugged in when you launched TestDisk?

Thanks for the quick reply, but as soon as i saw it i had to make sure i had the right info back with me

Cos im all over the place with this happenin.

Yes my ext HDD was plugged in but strangely enough not showing up?, as thats the reason i was cautious as not to proceed, also it said further down that site it may not show the actual size of the drive. I have no idea what WD is but maybe you might from the excerpt from the logfile below:

list

Disk /dev/sda - 80 GB / 74 GiB - CHS 10337 240 63, sector size=512 - WDC WD800BB-00JHA0, FW:05.01C05

Disk /dev/sdc - 8220 MB / 7839 MiB - CHS 999 255 63, sector size=512, FW:0.00

Drive H: - 8216 MB / 7835 MiB - CHS 998 255 63, sector size=512, FW:0.00

TestDisk exited normally.

Also i should note i'm using Windows XP & the ext hard disk drive on my computer is Local Disk (G:)

When i had a 8GB USB Flash drive (H:) inserted a while ago here's what it had:

list

Disk /dev/sda - 80 GB / 74 GiB - CHS 10337 240 63, sector size=512 - WDC WD800BB-00JHA0, FW:05.01C05

TestDisk exited normally.

]

Im no expert in lookin at that, hopeful either, as its been a long & tiring day.

If you need more info, just ask, as i dont want overwhelm anyone. thanks

Edited by dave_

• Moderators

Not overwhelmed here dave, or underwhelmed even. Which must mean I'm feeling pretty whelmed. :)

WD just stands for Western Digital, and the "WDC WD800BB-00JHA0, FW:05.01C05" is the model number of your hard drive.

Firstly, have you tried the drive in other USB ports to make sure it isn't a faulty port, and do you have the facility to plug it into another computer just to make sure it is a problem with the USB drive.

Does it show up in "My Computer" or "Disk Management" with a drive letter?

And finally, which Operating System are you running dave?

Edited by DennisD

Not overwhelmed here dave, or underwhelmed even. Which must mean I'm feeling pretty whelmed. :)

WD just stands for Western Digital, and the "WDC WD800BB-00JHA0, FW:05.01C05" is the model number of your hard drive.

Firstly, have you tried the drive in other USB ports to make sure it isn't a faulty port,.

I wouldnt have thought about as it seem to display the bubble come up sayin 'Windows was unable all the data for the file G:$'Mft.

The data has been lost, this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere

Can u please explain that.

and do you have the facility to plug it into another computer just to make sure it is a problem with the USB drive

At the moment i'm using my brothers laptop with Win7 & is a lot quicker than my ancient desktop & its 512 mb ram (more like like a lamb to his!)

Does it show up in "My Computer" or "Disk Management" with a drive letter?

The 500GB ext hard disk drive does show up on ''My Computer'' as Local Disk (G:)

And finally, which Operating System are you running dave?

i'm using Windows XP

I just hope it is a faulty port, as the above warnings scare the bayjasus outta ya, you dont know what to do :wacko:

You said System drive was displayed first /sda, what below is/ sdc as it almost has the same size as drive H:

Before i go, as this is the 2nd time posting here, earlier on when i tried to post it took a long time & then the browser crashes! & so when i finish here posting, In what i thought was similar to gmail in savin ur draft i thought as you dont actually see the writing down on the left which says 'View auto saved content' in which i thought was a preview, Words cant express..... :angry::(:o:lol: Its a good thing i have plenty of patients at the moment!

• Moderators

Yep, that can be frustrating when the forum lags quite badly, or even grinds to a halt.

And don't worry too much about your drive, as there are things we can try to fix it. No promises, but we'll do our best.

That second disk displayed ...

... do you have a second internal hard drive? That was my first thought when I saw it in your post, but my second thought was it looks to be on the small side.

No worries if you don't, but if that is your USB drive then it could be significant to what we do next.

Got it sorted! after my brother called around today as he's more pro-active than me!, he tried it out on this laptop &

was able to view the contents of it no problem & then proceeded to try it out again on my own pc (fingers crossed )

thankfully it worked out! so i dont know why,

but i my brother reckons maybe since my pc is 10yr old

brought the pc out of standby, but it stalled & ctrl +alt+del wouldnt come up so had to press restart on front,

but worked ok with the Medion ext hard drive visible on My Computer as (Local Disk G:)

since then,

Could things like a slow connection like that cause to a hard drive especially if downloading to a ext hard drive

Btw; i dont have a second internal hard drive that

just happened to be a 8GB USB Flash Drive/Memory Stick

inserted at the time (i get lost in the terminology) when i ran testdisk as it showed

up two different results compared to just the one when i ran it without it, so thats why i asked that time ->

All i got was:

Disk / dev/sda - 80GB / 74 GB WDC WD800BB-00JHA0

was askin was

C: System Drive Disk /dev/sda - 80 GB / 74 GiB - CHS 10337 240 63, sector size=512 - WDC WD800BB-00JHA0, FW:05.01C05

Flash Drive/ Disk /dev/sdc - 8220 MB / 7839 MiB - CHS 999 255 63, sector size=512, FW:0.00

MemoryStick? Drive H: - 8216 MB / 7835 MiB - CHS 998 255 63, sector size=512, FW:0.00

Edited by dave_

• Moderators

That's great news dave.

You could possibly lessen the chance of that error happening again if you disable "write caching" on that disk.

There are numerous google hits with that error and it seems many possible causes for it, one of them being an interrupt to a delayed write to the drive caused by the disk being removed without using "Safely Remove Hardware", or the write being cut short by a power cut etc..

Right click the drive and select "Properties\Hardware Tab", and then pick your USB drive from the list and select "Properties\Policies\Optimize for quick removal" as shown here ...

2011_11_26_220937.jpg

Just a suggestion of course and up to yourself.

That;s great news dave.

You could possibly lessen the chance of that error happening again if you disable "write caching" on that disk.

There are numerous google hits with that error and it seems many possible causes for it, one of them being an interrupt to a delayed write to the drive caused by the disk being removed without using "Safely Remove Hardware", or the write being cut short by a power cut etc..

Right click the drive and select "Properties\Hardware Tab", and then pick your USB drive from the list and select "Properties\Policies\Optimize for quick removal" as shown here ...

2011_11_26_220937.jpg

Just a suggestion of course and up to yourself.

Yeah, i'm very familiar with that as i use XP a lot on my machine, so when i saw your post last night

,i'd thought i'd try on the brothers laptop as he's got Win7

as i was transferring files on to his, but all i got

'Problem Ejecting Mass Storage Device' Windows cant stop your Generic volume device because a program is still using it, close any program that might be using it...

I had all the programs, folders, closed down, still the same but it was late so i just shut down the laptop, so i left til later on the next night & it all seems ok now, but there's seems to be a few differences to XP & Win 7 as that procedure you outlined above doesnt have the Policies tab to Optimize for quick removal as shown above.

Maybe my ext hard drive was set by default to be Optimized for quick removal?, but wonder why you dont have that facility now on Win 7?

Thanks. I tried to re-designate a drive letter in disk management, but was unsuccessful. I checked out Handy Recovery, but that program only permits free users to save 1 file per day.

Edit: I believe they have a freeware version, else they used to have...

U may have to google it, because it may be well buried on their website.

• Moderators
Yeah, i'm very familiar with that as i use XP a lot on my machine, so when i saw your post last night

,i'd thought i'd try on the brothers laptop as he's got Win7 as i was transferring files on to his .....

Maybe my ext hard drive was set by default to be Optimized for quick removal?, but wonder why you dont have that facility now on Win 7?

If I'm reading you right dave, you wouldn't be able to do it if the drive was busy, and in Win 7 there may only be one way to access this setting.

Go to "Device Manager" and right click the drive, select properties and you should see a "Policies" tab with the options on it.

2011_11_29_155551.jpg

The reason I pointed this windows feature out was because you mentioned your computer was 10 year old, and it may be doing something silly like going into sleep mode (if it's activated and set) at the same time windows decides to carry out a delayed write from the disk cache.

I don't know if that's even possible but you never know with windows, it may be able to mess up like that at any time, and not just with an old PC.

I have the write cache disabled on all my drives as I think it's an absolute no-brainer of a feature. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Have a read here about Win7 and disk caching.

http://www.yoingco.c...e_windows_7.htm