"CCleaner Enhancer"

pwillener

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It seems that someone is now peddling an application that installs winapp2.ini on your computer. (The download page is currently down.)

Edited by DennisD
Link removed by moderation

I don't know where to discuss this - here, or in the Software forum. So let me do it here, since I started this topic.

I think that this application is a stupid idea! Some questions I have:

• will this application automatically update the user's winapp2.ini file when changes become available?
  • will this application at least alert users when changes become available?
  • what will that application do when changes become available, if anything?

Users who have manually downloaded the winapp2.ini file know that they have it, and they take responsibility to update the file when changes become available. This is not an automatic process, and I remember I have been sitting for almost a year on an old winapp2.ini file before noticing the updates.

I think if someone is to develop an application concerning winapp2.ini, they must consider the update aspect of it. Otherwise users will install winapp2.ini on their system, and forever sit on that version.

Personally I think CCleaner itself should think of a mechanism to check for old winapp2.ini files. But then some users (like me) have user-modified versions of the winapp2.ini file.

A difficult subject, altogether!

Well the update function of ccleaner could handle it self in a similar fasion to Curse Client (online game addon manager) where it logs your version and the new version, and if you modify your version you get a warning that says "updating may remove any changes you may have made to this" blah blah

The idea was to have something that can update WinApp2.ini automatically, that feature was almost ready. :(

Basically each new WinApp2.ini file was assigned a number, on startup the tool would check if the version on the net had a bigger number and prompt the user to download it.

I'm Shane.