Upgrading XP to SP3

Anomaly

It is clear from the link that this was an OEM problem, nothing to do with MS.

"Shortly after release, a large number of users with AMD processors reported that their PCs would not boot after installing Service Pack 3. The cause was established to be a result of OEMs who preinstalled (using Sysprep) a copy of Windows XP which had been created on a machine with an Intel processor. This resulted in the Intel SpeedStep driver (intelppm.sys) attempting to load on the AMD-based PC. Microsoft never supported this configuration.[70]"

This bug is something MS knows about weather they ever supported the configuration or not. They should have released an XP SP3 that fixed this problem.

This bug is something MS knows about weather they ever supported the configuration or not. They should have released an XP SP3 that fixed this problem.

...Please stop complaining...or at least read what he said. This is not a configuration supported by Microsoft ; they don't have to do anything. If you tried to install Windows on a PS3, and it failed, would you say MS are a buch of idiots ? No. It's not a supported config, they don't have to provide support for it.

Sadly, OEMs don't really care whether they customers have problems or not.

Piriform French translator

...Please stop complaining...or at least read what he said. This is not a configuration supported by Microsoft ; they don't have to do anything. If you tried to install Windows on a PS3, and it failed, would you say MS are a buch of idiots ? No. It's not a supported config, they don't have to provide support for it.

Sadly, OEMs don't really care whether they customers have problems or not.

Don't tell me to stop complaining. You don't like what I say than ignore me. I can assure you I won't lose any sleep over it.

This is a MS problem or they wouldn't have provided a solution even though that solution is a hassle. Obviously MS feels this is their problem why else would they provide the instructions on how to fix it? I'm saying they should have made a better solution instead of the Mickey Mouse one they provided.

Slipstream SP3 into an XP install CD and all your problems should be over (unless you're an OEM user). :)

In addition there's nLite which allows you to customise your installation CD i.e. remove junk, auto accept serial number etc.

Richard S.

Slipstream SP3 into an XP install CD and all your problems should be over (unless you're an OEM user). :)

In addition there's nLite which allows you to customise your installation CD i.e. remove junk, auto accept serial number etc.

Richard S.

I have XP on one machine and that won't be for much longer so it's no problem for me. I just find the whole SP3 thing with the AMD processor bush league and should have been handled better by MS. I don't care if they supported the configuration or not. The min they knew about the problem and started to issue the instructions on how to fix it they should have released a SP3 with the fix in it.

• Moderators

I have XP on one machine and that won't be for much longer so it's no problem for me. I just find the whole SP3 thing with the AMD processor bush league and should have been handled better by MS.

I think they should've at least released a pre-install patch for all those AMD users that would automatically fix the issue, it could've just be some standalone EXE an AMD user runs before attempting to install SP3. Old news now though.

I think they should've at least released a pre-install patch for all those AMD users that would automatically fix the issue, it could've just be some standalone EXE an AMD user runs before attempting to install SP3. Old news now though.

Yes that would work to. They should have did something though.

It's old news that is coming around again with the recent end of support for XP SP2. There were many that had not updated and now have to if they want to continue getting support and updates.

It was partially Microsoft's fault. The SP3 installer updates the processor power module without checking to see if it even exists first. It only relied on the registry key being present. Not good practice where OS files are concerned. This alone should have been enough to at least silently update the service pack. Improper usage of Sysprep takes the majority.

Edit-

Or this approach. It wouldn't even have to be an exe if windows update automatically detected the conflict, just a reg file. Save a few $$.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they should have.

If car makers were treated the same way Microsoft was, Toyota would be let off the hook for problems like stuck gas pedals on all cars over 2, or perhaps 4, 5, whatever years old.

It is time big conglomerate corps like MS learn to take the humble walk. They produce faulty product, they fix fault product.

Else, let Toyota & other companies off the hook as well.

One of microsoft links in the earlier post goes to here: earlier link.

The explanation from microsoft is typical of them. Correct, indifferent, devoid of useful information. It says in part: "...to prevent an issue in which your computer may restart continuously after you upgrade to SP3 on systems with non-Intel processors...". Well, OK,

- Which issue?

- Whatzat mean "may restart"?

- Is is going to restart or not, or don't you know?

- Are there so few AMD users that Microsoft just ingores them?

- Why isn't the exe incorporated into a patch so that it 1. checks the system, 2. decides what to do, and 3. does it?

I just logged off and ran that Microsoft exe, with Powershadow on, and it didn't do any harm. It does not require a restart. Since my system is already fixed, more or less, I can't tell for sure what it did.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

More on the intelppm.sys issue, for which Hazelnut actually gave us the fix for when it first happened (can't find that thread right now): Hewlett Packard has also release a fix found HERE. I ran it, and it said my system does not meet the requirements. Guess that means it checked and found it is not needed.

edit: Wonder what happened to Vajradhara? If (s)he is running Compaq or HP, probably either of those fixes would...errr...fix it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.