Cleanmem memory manager

Willy2

• Moderators

what level of MB did you set for IE9 (I've got outlook 2010 set to clean if it goes of 100MB, thankfully it has yet to be triggered (or at least I think that's thankfully LOL) )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

FYI: My Win 7 laptop has 4 Gb of memory. IE 9 is curtailed in its memory usage when it occupies more than 100 Mb. (checked every 10 minutes). IE 9 needs to be kept on a comparatively short leash, because 1) A process can occupy as much as about 350 Mb (when playing a video) 2) Several IE9 processes can be running at the same time.

I also let the file cache to be curtailed when it goes above 150 Mb (checked every 10 minutes). Other processes, except for some programs I regularly use and don't consume too much memory, are curtailed by the regular CM cleaning process (every 15 minutes). Memory usage ranges from 25% up to (rarely) 60% (60% especially when playing videos). Not too bad.

Don't know if this is the right setup. I hope this is a good compromise between cleaning everything and cleaning nothing. Time will tell. I'll keep watching the CM system tray icon !!!!

BTW: CM v2.4.2 still has a small bug: http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,3089.0.html

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

@Nergal: Using the CM logfile feature you can keep tabs on how much memory Outlook occupies. But then you have to move Outlook from the Advanced Monitor to the ""regular"" cleaning operations. Because the logfile feature isn't triggered by the Advanced Monitor. The logfile feature was very helpful on my XP machine when I needed to determine what the memory usage was of a number of processes.

Wow. Tried the right click ""clean file cache"" option a number of times. Works like magic. I am definitely going to use it more in the future.

I managed to let IE 9 occupy some 1.3 Gb of memory (Win 7) by opening a lot of seperate IE windows (thank you, CM logfile feature). Ran CM, without closing ANY IE 9 window, and memory usage went down to some 200 Mb. So, this is a process that certainly needs to be kept on a short leash.

But another mystery remains. After IE9 was curtailed in its memory usage, the CM system tray icon told me that memory usage only gradually came down from 60 - 55% down to about 30 - 35%. Some software is responsible for not releasing memory more rapidly. I fear Adobe's Flash is to blame for this. Because I also opened a website that posts lots of videos. A number of folks on the internet have branded Flash as "bug ridden" and "buggy". And I must admit my experiences with Flash were "not too positive" either.

Defraggler is another large memory user. It can occupy some 200 Mb (peak), and some 110 Mb after having analysed my harddisk. CM can cut back the usage back to some 2 Mb.

Edited by Willy2

• Moderators

A number of folks on the internet have branded Flash as "bug ridden" and "buggy". And I must admit my experiences with Flash were "not too positive" either.

When Flash effs up it can crash your whole system even though that separation process of plugins mumble jumble browsers use nowadays is supposed to stop that from happening. Probably because Flash can use hardware acceleration, and the crash it caused my system last month was rather interesting when I was on YouTube seeing the whole screen turn all different colours, the system go unresponsive, and then boom BSOD - what a P.O.S.

@Nergal: I was wrong. I need to rewrite my answer/reply.

- If you want a process to be logged then enable logging and add that process to the CM logfile list.

- In the regular CM mechanism all processes that are to tracked and that are running show up in the logfile. If one has 6 IE9 processes running then all 6 show up the logfile no matter whether they are curtailed or not.

- In the AM only those processes that are curtailed in memory usage show up in the logfile. If one has 5 IE9 processes running and the AM curtails only 2 processes then only those 2 processes show up in the logfile. The other 3 processes aren't mentioned at all.

I changed the CM settings again. The regular CM cleaning now occurs every 30 minutes and it curtails EVERY memory user, including IE9. Excluded is the system file cache which is curtailed only when it exceeds 100 Mb. When one or more IE9 process exceeds 100 Mb the Advanced Monitor is allowed to curtail IE9 (checked every 10 minutes).

Go to http://www.jugglingdynamite.com and open more than one webpage. Then you'll see that memory usage is "going through the roof". This website posts A LOT OF videos (using the dreaded Adobe's Flash).

• 2 weeks later...

I've just made the jump to Windows 7 (courtesy of my lovely new lappy :) ) and having trouble getting my head around the task scheduler. I have Cleanmem installed but I want to create an additional task that runs Cleanmem every 5 mins on a specific program, obviously only when that program is running. So I'd have cleanmem running on its normal schedule, and an additional task running cleanmem on a specific program. (I can't even work out how to get task scheduler to run a task when a specific program starts)

I know cleanmem settings allow it to work only on a specific program, but is it even possible to have a schedule for general mem clean, and one for cleaning a specific program? (and if so how)

(I was gonna ask on Shane's forum but it wouldn't send me an activation email to register and I know many here use it so asking here)

I fear that's impossible. However the PRO version offers you something slightly different. Perhaps it's useful for you.

Buy a CM license for the PRO version for $5, then you'll be able to use the Advanced Monitor (AM). Using the AM you can let CM perform a "clean up" every 5, 10 or 15 (or any other user defined amount of) minutes WHEN (and this is important) the memory usage of one or more user defined process exceeds a user defined memory limit. I use the AM to curtail IE9 in its memory usage when an IE9 process uses more than 100 Mb, and the AM performs that check every 10 minutes. By setting that memory limit (in the AM) extremely low (e.g. 2 or 5 Mb) for one process you can be sure that process will be kept on a (very) short leash.

Shane is always busy running his computer repair shop. So, have a little patience. Don't worry, he'll reply.

(I was gonna ask on Shane's forum but it wouldn't send me an activation email to register and I know many here use it so asking here)

Let me know what your email is and I can check :-)

I know cleanmem settings allow it to work only on a specific program, but is it even possible to have a schedule for general mem clean, and one for cleaning a specific program? (and if so how)

The advanced monitor int he mini monitor is the best way and easiest way to do it.

To do it manually you will want to put cleanmem in a 2nd folder. There you put the settings in the cleanmem_settings file. And have the task scheduler run the cleanmem.exe from that folder.

Dont use the cleanmem settings exe, it will simply overwrite your current settings on the system.

Shane

(About Shane)
Girlfriend & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.
When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: SirSoft.io & Former Owner and Programmer of Tweaking.com

Using the AM you can let CM perform a "clean up" every 5, 10 or 15 (or any other user defined amount of) minutes WHEN (and this is important) the memory usage of one or more user defined process exceeds a user defined memory limit. I use the AM to curtail IE9 in its memory usage when an IE9 process uses more than 100 Mb, and the AM performs that check every 10 minutes. By setting that memory limit (in the AM) extremely low (e.g. 2 or 5 Mb) for one process you can be sure that process will be kept on a (very) short leash.

Does the advanced monitor do that in addition to the scheduled task cleanup?

Let me know what your email is and I can check :-)

PM Sent

The advanced monitor int he mini monitor is the best way and easiest way to do it.

To do it manually you will want to put cleanmem in a 2nd folder. There you put the settings in the cleanmem_settings file. And have the task scheduler run the cleanmem.exe from that folder.

Dont use the cleanmem settings exe, it will simply overwrite your current settings on the system.

Shane

Thanks for the possible alternative method, the advanced monitor may well be a better solution if it runs in addition to the scheduled cleans :)

Yes the advanced monitor runs in the mini monitor and is separate from the task scheduler :-)

I also activated your email on my forum. :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Yes the advanced monitor runs in the mini monitor and is separate from the task scheduler :-)

I also activated your email on my forum. :-)

Shane

Cool, might have to upgrade to the paid version then ;). Thanks Shane.

No problem :-)

(About Shane)

• 1 month later...

A question for other CM users: when I switch multiple times between "All users" and "Current user" in the "General" tab (Mini monitor settings) then I can end up with multiple instances of the program "mini_monitor_set_startup.exe *32" running (Task Manager). See attachment. Does this happen on other compters as well ?

I use Win 7 64 bits, SP 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I didn't get any response to the question above, it seems I am the only one with this "problem". The solution is actually simple. Add the name of the process that won't stop automatically to CM's Advanced Monitor with a memory limit of 0 (zero) MB, order the AM to kill the process and the AM WILL kill this process. Guaranteed.

Came across this interesting article (thanks GOOGLE):

http://www.zdnet.com...o-measure/1786e

Win 7 memory usage on my laptop is very interesting. The CM system tray icon show the amount of used memory (by hardware & programs/processes). When CM is kicked into action then info is moved from the green part of the memory to the brown and the dark blue part of the memory (See picture in the attachment). And the dark blue part of the memory doesn't shrink.

Since the CM program will be detected by Superfetch one would expect CM to be loaded into the dark blue part of the memory. But since I (more often than not) need to press the CM "hot key" twice to kick CM into action it would suggest that CM isn't loaded in memory anymore or has been overwritten (in memory). Possible solution for this problem: Regularly delete the file "layout.ini" in the Superfetch subfolder in "C:\windows" (E.g. Upon start up). It would prevent Win 7 to load a lot of obsolete files/info into memory.

Perhaps CM can be improved/updated to clean the dark blue (see picture, attachment) part of the memory of my laptop as well ?

• 2 weeks later...

Possible solution for this problem: Regularly delete the file "layout.ini" in the Superfetch subfolder in "C:\windows" (E.g. Upon start up). It would prevent Win 7 to load a lot of obsolete files/info into memory.

Hmmmm... This is why I want CCleaner to clean ALL the superfetch folder entries. Yes, Windows has to re-create entries when launching a program. And yes, I don't mind getting rid of them because what good is it to preload malware/viruses/old programs you never use?

Clean, clean, clean!!!! LOL!!!

Tried to make CM respond faster when I press the hotkey key combination. I installed a virtual ramdisk (thanks to the program RAMDISK), installed the CM software in that RAM-disk. Since the software is in the memory upon startup I thought it would speed up CM but to no avail. Anyone else any thoughts to speed up the response of CM ? Is my virus scanner to blame for this delay ?

@Superfast: Ccleaner indeed can take care of deleting the "layout.ini"file. Should have thought of it before. But windows uses "recent folders" to add folders & files to "layout.ini". So, one should clean "recent folders" as well.

CM v2.4.3 still has another small tiny (!!) bug. See page #5 of this thread:

http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,3098.0.html

I hope the next improved version of CM will be released very soon.

• 8 months later...

Recently I added 4 GB memory to my Win 7 laptop. When I had only 4 GB then Windows would fill the entire 4 GB with data of some kind. In normal situations CM would limit memory usage to between ~ 20% and ~ 35% and the remainder of the memory was (after say 30 minutes) ALWAYS marked as "Stand By" memory.

After adding 4 GB, I watched my laptop (with 8 GB of memory) for a while to see how Windows & CM would behave. I gave IE9 more space (CM now curtails a IE9 process only when it goes above 100 MB). File cache is cleaned only when > 80 MB. Every 30 minutes CM cleans the entire memory except for IE9 and about 4 to 5 other programs.

With these parameters CM keeps memory usage (IE9 running) at 19 to 22%. Total memory usage (incl. "Stand-by") always exceeds 4 GB and regularly goes above 5 GB and approaches 6 GB. But Windows never fills the entire memory (8 GB) any more. Only in rare occasions and after long sessions memory usage approaches the 8GB mark. On balance, I am glad I added more memory. PcWinTech.com was right when it stated: "More memory is always better".

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Thanks

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 months later...