Firefox V3.5.10 vrs v3.6.6

Eli

Hi

Can any of you FF users advice if v3.6.6 is any better than the previous version (V3.5.10)?

I know the addons are separated from the FF process, what are the implications ?

Is the load on resources different ?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Well, if an addon crashes *cough* Flash *cough*, it won't crash Firefox.

It has the completely useless Personas integrated (unless you like using the FF default theme, you'll never be able to use them)

Piriform French translator

It has the completely useless Personas integrated (unless you like using the FF default theme, you'll never be able to use them)

Thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate on the above quoted ?

Personas are backgrounds for FF's toolbars, like this : https://addons.mozil...ox/addon/10900/

However, what the screenshots don't say (but the reviews do) is that you can only use the default theme (Strata). If you use a different theme, Personas will be disabled. And since the default theme is quite ugly...well...Personas aren't a useful feature at all. Besides, it seems you have to register in the Personas website if you want to save the recently used Personas...<_<

Personas are backgrounds for FF's toolbars, like this : https://addons.mozil...ox/addon/10900/

However, what the screenshots don't say (but the reviews do) is that you can only use the default theme (Strata). If you use a different theme, Personas will be disabled. And since the default theme is quite ugly...well...Personas aren't a useful feature at all. Besides, it seems you have to register in the Personas website if you want to save the recently used Personas...<_<

Thanks for your reply. Other than the Persona`s matter,is the load on resources higher or lower than the previous version?

Thanks for your reply. Other than the Persona`s matter,is the load on resources higher or lower than the previous version?

It's higher in resource usage. All the browsers are going that way now though.

It's Firefox, don't expect it to be light. And the plugin separation means more stability but more used memory, too.

Thanks again.

Yeah, over the last few major updates to Firefox, I've noticed that it grew bigger and bigger in size. It also seems to lag a bit too, like when my custom Google background loads. I only have AdBlock Plus, Java Console, and Chromifox extensions, and the Chromifox theme.

I'd suggest Google Chrome, but it has even more of a "plugin separation"... as in, each tab AND each plugin creates its own process, as well as the actual program. At least Firefox attempts to store my tabs if it crashes. <_<

It's Firefox, don't expect it to be light. And the plugin separation means more stability but more used memory, too.

I never had an issue with Firefox memory usage before or stability. These so called improvements are not improvements. They made these changes to follow Chrome which is a stupid move. All the browsers are now pigs and will get worse not better from this point on.

Chrome's tab separation, like IE's, is much better than what FF currently has.

Wrong again. Chrome is the only browser I have that crashes and when it does it takes the whole browser down not just the one tab.

The plugin-container is a nice idea but in practice it can cause instability if the CPU is loaded.

I have this problem when watching YouTube clips the controls would become unresponsive and useless.

The only fix for this is to start Windows Task Manager and kick plugin-container in the balls. :D

Richard S.

The plugin-container is a nice idea but in practice it can cause instability if the CPU is loaded.

I have this problem when watching YouTube clips the controls would become unresponsive and useless.

The only fix for this is to start Windows Task Manager and kick plugin-container in the balls. :D

Richard S.

Firefox is making a big mistake as far as I'm concerned. When you choose to start following instead of leading you lose the game. Firefox is CLEARLY being influenced by Chrome's so called success. Check out Firefox 4 beta and you will see a drastic change in appearance now to. Of all the browses to follow why a a browser marketed to morons? Chrome is a moron browser for sure. I think the time is right for a competitor to come out with a light weight advanced browser for the people that started using Firefox and Opera back in the days when they were light weight and for tech types.

Wrong again. Chrome is the only browser I have that crashes and when it does it takes the whole browser down not just the one tab.

Well, it's a bug in Chrome's tab separation.;)

Well, it's a bug in Chrome's tab separation.;)

Your point? Mine is that the separate process for tabs and plugins is not this great thing they make it out to be. I would argue it's not needed since I don't have browser crashes except on Chrome.

Your point? Mine is that the separate process for tabs and plugins is not this great thing they make it out to be. I would argue it's not needed since I don't have browser crashes except on Chrome.

Meaning, you don't have browser crashes in IE ? Since it has sandboxed both plugins and tabs before everyone else, I'd argue it's a useful thing.

Especially with poorly programmed Flash games (but that's the dev's fault, not Adobe's)

I personally dont like the seperate processes. I have had a handful of crashes in the years of using FF

No fate but what we make

Well, since FF doesn't separate processes...I can't see what your point is. :huh:

I never said it did

No fate but what we make

Meaning, you don't have browser crashes in IE ? Since it has sandboxed both plugins and tabs before everyone else, I'd argue it's a useful thing.

Especially with poorly programmed Flash games (but that's the dev's fault, not Adobe's)

I don't use IE it just sits there. It's too slow, lacking in features, ugly, clunky, nothing good I can say about it. So as a result I don't use it and don't know if it would crash. I do know Opera, FireFox, Safari, and Camino never crash for me. Chrome doesn't crash often but it crashes more than the others combined for me.

Well, since FF doesn't separate processes...I can't see what your point is. :huh:

What planet are you on? FireFox certainly does separate processes. How can you discuss this intelligently if you don't even know the basic facts?

FireFox now runs the plugins in a separate process just like Chrome and it's causing problems as well as an increase in memory usage just like Chrome that's my point.

I do apologise i was commenting on my own ff. Iv not upgraded to 3.6* yet

No fate but what we make