Opera 10.60 is fast!

Anomaly

I updated to 10.60 today on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Mac. There is a very noticeable difference in speed. 10.60 is very fast. There is also some minor UI improvements. The Speed Dial thumbnails look better. The tab images that pop up when you hover over a tab look nicer and transition nicer when you move from one to another.

Despite being a Firefox user, I've always been an 'in the closet' Opera fan. There are so many area in which it absolutely murders Firefox (such as speed, User Interface etc) yet I still can't bring myself to make the switch.

I'm Shane.

For the time being, Opera 10.60 is the fastest stable browser. Want to see how their team will step up to the game when Chrome 6.0 stable is released. :)

Oh and, are their people having problems with facebook plugin thingy in sites, like neowin etc, or needing to press Sign In when browsing the images section of WinLive?

For the time being, Opera 10.60 is the fastest stable browser. Want to see how their team will step up to the game when Chrome 6.0 stable is released. :)

Until Chrome gets some basic features and stops being a dumb browser I don't care how fast it is. I also don't like how they keep making changes that are for the worse and thinking they are improvements. In the development builds they removed the ability to make sites into their own short cuts. This was the one thing Chrome could do that the other browses couldn't. It was one of the features Google used to highlight when advertising Chrome. They have also removed the page button in the tool bar and put all the info for it under the one remaining tool button. They than added layers to that button so now you have to dig many clicks deep to get basic functions. They seem to be getting more stupid every release.

Simple and dumb = Chrome

Flexible and all-in-one = Opera

Kinda hate how Chrome 6 dev can't have an adjustable bookmark button menu. The bookmark toolbar eats .8cm of viewing space.

Kinda hate how Chrome 6 dev can't have an adjustable bookmark button menu. The bookmark toolbar eats .8cm of viewing space.

That's another change that is not an improvement. I don't know what these clowns are thinking when they make some of these decisions. I think you have to be a baboon with a learning disorder to work for the Chrome development team.

May check these out

Any idea if either browser ( chrome, opera ) allow you to use the foxytunes add-on ?

edit : converted to chrome already

Chrome having extensions is one advantage it has although many of the Chrome extensions are just junk. No where near as polished as FireFox extensions.

yes opera is fast,what i don't like is thst memory starts at 60k,then 80k.90.k,130k,...and forget about if you watch justintv..250k.

all in half an hour.

note: read also that they team up with avg.......and that could be the reason.

yes opera is fast,what i don't like is thst memory starts at 60k,then 80k.90.k,130k,...and forget about if you watch justintv..250k.

all in half an hour.

note: read also that they team up with avg.......and that could be the reason.

Yes the RAM usage has jumped since the 10.50 update. 10.10 was much leaner. I'm afraid all the browses are now pigs. The developers just don't care any more because they assume we all have 6 GB of RAM.

Yes perhaps its about time for me to switch to a new browser ( only ever used the IE, and currently using IE7 with IE7 Pro and Sandboxie)

does Opera allow for the ease of use with sandboxie?? any known issues (installation, uninstallation and daily operations?)

Also I like IE7 Pro for its download manager ( which allows me to interrupt the download and continue later...) does opera have such an inbuilt Download manager atall?

cheers!

Opera pretty much seems to come with things built in (seems to for me anyway)

As for download managers, I never bother with them.

Oh ok... well, the only reason I use IE7 Pro is for its ability to record text typed which I am easily able to copy paste within a session and another being its Download manager which I use to interrupt a download and continue later... ( as and when required)

also would I need to update the Winappi 2 for CCleaner ?? ( to include the new version of Opera - as the one in the winappi I've got reads... 'Opera 9...'

cheers

developers just don't care any more because they assume we all have 6 GB of RAM.

If that was actually the case, Opera wouldn't be capable of running on phones. The fact is Opera has very intelligent memory usage - other browsers but a hard cap on memory usage, meaning they will tend to score better in artificial memory comparison tests. Opera instead dynamically adapts to your system - if you happen to have 6GB of RAM, Opera will use a crap-load of memory. If you don't have much RAM, it will run nicely with a very low footprint.

Opera seems pretty heavy on RAM usage to me (with an average of ~3 tabs open, it is usually around 130MB), but I don't consider it an issue. It's still my favorite browser by far.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Opera seems pretty heavy on RAM usage to me (with an average of ~3 tabs open, it is usually around 130MB), but I don't consider it an issue. It's still my favorite browser by far.

It is heavy now. Never used to be. They all are going that way. Resource pigs are the norm now.

• 4 weeks later...

Opera pretty much seems to come with things built in (seems to for me anyway)

As for download managers, I never bother with them.

You must have high speed internet. I do as well. But download managers can save someone's hide on dialup. I still remember the days of 5kbs download speed, & a 98% done file that took all night, when someone would call & it would lose the whole file.

Using a download manager would ensure the file was resumed where it left off so I would not lose all that hard work.

If you are on dialup, do not under-estimate the need for it!