Lost a minimum of 100gigs - HELP

Stomper

I have been using defraggler for a while now. However since the last update. Every time I defrag, I have noticed, I have been losing hd space very quickly. I currently have a 12MB left on my 750 GB HD.

To say the least I am very disturbed at this. I tried to "check drive for errors" in defraggler, however it couldn't find anything, and said I had to to a CHKDSK /F command through ms-dos at the next restart. So I said Yes, and restarted. The scan commenced, and started windows after it finished. I was not prompted by anything telling me there were errors, and the words didn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read them all. Windows started normally. I am still having the same problem. I know I should have around 150-200 GB free on my HD.

I even tried do this:

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/technical-information/windows-vista-and-volume-shadow-copies

Still nothing. Microsoft system restore said I didn't have any restore points, and thus I had no options to delete any. The instructions on the page at the link above, need to be updated. I am running Vista64bit and the GUI options were nothing like ones listed on that page.

Anyone have any suggestions?

D/L and install Windirstat and/or TreeSize Free to see what is using your space.

Wow, bad ass program!

Ok i installed windirstat. I ran it, and apparently there is 62 GB in the recycle bin. But the recycle bin registers as empty in windows. I use CCleaner to empty my recycle bin.

But that still doesn't seem like all the space that should be cleared up. But I may be wrong.

Any suggestions on how to empty the files from the recycle bin, even though windows says it's empty?

I am guessing the "Delete(no way to undelete)" is the option I use for that?

This was my advice in the past, but strangely my pc is not showing my $RECYCLE.BIN folder now:

Locate the $RECYCLE.BIN folder in the root directory under C: by ➜ organize \ folder and search options\ view \ show hidden files and folders. Delete the contents of $RECYCLE.BIN.

This was my advice in the past, but strangely my pc is not showing my $RECYCLE.BIN folder now:

Locate the $RECYCLE.BIN folder in the root directory under C: by ➜ organize \ folder and search options\ view \ show hidden files and folders. Delete the contents of $RECYCLE.BIN.

Interesting, even after I selected to show hidden files and folders, \$Recycle.Bin doesn't show up. \$Recycle.Bin only shows up in windirstat.

Should I just delete the files under the \$Recycle.Bin from windirstat, using the "Delete (no way to undelete!" option?

It's been a while since I did this and I just remembered I left out an important item.

Untick ☐ hide protected operating system files below ☑ show hidden files and folders. That will expose the $RECYCLE.BIN folder in the C: root directory.

Stomper all three of us are working on this now. Gangbusters! :D

Edited

It's been a while since I did this and I just remembered I left out an important item.

Untick hide protected operating system files just below show hidden files and folders. That will expose the $RECYCLE.BIN folder in the C: root directory.

ok, that worked, it showed up. and under properties of the folder it says there is 61.9 GB in the folder, however when I open the folder, it is empty.

Next step?

ok, well that worked. Thx for the help guys, i was seriously getting worried. I guess CCleaner was what caused the problem?

Who knows?! Anyway, let's congrat ourselves. :)

Now that your adventure succeeded, go back and undo those three changes you made under organize \ folder and search options \ view so that you don't accidentally delete any hidden system folders and files.

Thanks for reporting back! We wish everybody would.