Windows 8 info

hazelnut

I don't know much about American law, but...doesn't breaking a NDA cost lots of money ? :huh:

(besides, we don't know if those are true...especially the one praising Apple...why would MS do that ? They have 95% market share and Apple 5%, not the opposite...)

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

I don't know much about American law, but...doesn't breaking a NDA cost lots of money ? :huh:

HA that's what I said when I saw these too

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Until Microsoft makes an OS that's damn near impossible to break either end-user invoked or from malware this all just puts me to sleep. And no I'm not talking about something like SFC - something far more robust and rock solid.

Simply another "marketing merry-go-round" albeit good clean fun for an upgrade tragic like me.

The box manufacturers (IT industry in general) need new OS's to be reinvented, improved, made to operate faster, etc. so they can keep selling us new PC's, monitors etc. I am just waiting for the "3D" computer monitor (if it hasn't already been invented). Although I can not see myself sitting in the corner of my office with a pair of "black rimmed" 3D glasses (similar to Clarke Kent) typing a response to a Piriform Forum member question / comment like this one.

Back to Windows 8.............with the theme of MS looking at Apple, maybe, just maybe they could call the new OS iwindows :blink:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Well if Microsoft would praise Apple, that would only mean friendly competition. It doesn't matter who has the bigger market share. But Apple products like iPod, iPhone and tablet computers are more infamous than their MS counterparts.

But even if we could not say this is true, I'm still impressed and I want it. Its really good that they are working on it now cause doing this early will help them minimize design flaws, especially with the aid of users and make Windows 8 ALMOST flawless.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

(besides, we don't know if those are true...especially the one praising Apple...why would MS do that ? They have 95% market share and Apple 5%, not the opposite...)

There are many reasons MS has the larger market share but one of them is not having a better OS. Mac OS 10 is far better than Windows. Even Windows 7 which I like much better than XP is not nearly as good as Mac. In case you haven't noticed Apple is eating Microsoft's lunch lately and it will only get worse for MS. Maybe MS has pulled their head out of their ass and is seeing the light.

Mac OS 10 is far better than Windows.

That may be true, but users need an OS that is easy to handle. I have worked with many operating systems over the years, but Mac OS is by far the most complicated and difficult to use. I think it is especially and exclusively made for geeks. :P

There are many reasons MS has the larger market share but one of them is not having a better OS. Mac OS 10 is far better than Windows. Even Windows 7 which I like much better than XP is not nearly as good as Mac. In case you haven't noticed Apple is eating Microsoft's lunch lately and it will only get worse for MS. Maybe MS has pulled their head out of their ass and is seeing the light.

That is so pro-Mac and anti-Windows. If Mac OS 10 is so good compared to Windows, why the heck did Windows XP make it to be the most commonly used OS is the world right now even if it was released just months after Mac OS 10???

I would think Windows still has the edge in terms of ease and versatility.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

That may be true, but users need an OS that is easy to handle. I have worked with many operating systems over the years, but Mac OS is by far the most complicated and difficult to use. I think it is especially and exclusively made for geeks. :P

Not true. I was blown away by how easy Macs were to learn.

It's made for the non geek to be able to use without much hassle and it's accomplished that. That's one reason it's taking off now.

That is so pro-Mac and anti-Windows. If Mac OS 10 is so good compared to Windows, why the heck did Windows XP make it to be the most commonly used OS is the world right now even if it was released just months after Mac OS 10???

I would think Windows still has the edge in terms of ease and versatility.

First of all I have no loyalty or allegiance with any OS. I am neither a Mac fanboy or a Windows hater. I us both everyday and am getting into LInux as well now. When I make a comment on a OS it's unbiased and I call it like I see it. Right now Mac OS X is the best OS there is. If tomorrow MS came out with a killer OS that blew MAC out of the water I would say so without hesitation. That's one of the benefits of being a multi OS user on a daily bases. I don't feel any need to side with a OS since I'm not tied to only one.

As for your comment about why XP made it so big. There are many reasons a product becomes popular and it's not always because it's the best. There is price, there is how gullible and stupid the consumer is to marketing, there is following the crowd, laziness about switching (which XP is still benefiting from), false perceptions, and many other things.

There are many examples through history of inferior products becoming more popular than superior ones. By your way of thinking Toyota Corollas must be better than Porches since more people drive them. We know that's not true.

Edited by moderation: Unacceptable direct insult removed.

Edited by DennisD

Ahem...Back to the original post: Thank you Hazelnut, very informative.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I agree that it is bad to rush the release of a new OS because with a short period of time, you can't put as much good in it than waiting for 4 or 5 years of innovation that would really make it solid.

But let us not forget that the rate by which technology evolves and develops is getting faster than the past. Even 5 years for me is not a guarantee. Windows XP was released on 2001 and 5 years later on late 2006 and early 2007, Vista was released and got so much criticism on its flaws. But Windows 7 was released less than 3 years later and now several of us are impressed by it so much and its doing well on the market share. We are still getting used to it that's why some of us refuse to see a new OS until the next 5 years or so. Well, let us just hope MS doesn't get too over confident from the success on Windows 7 and that they have learned their lesson.

But personally, I want to get my hands on a beta build and answer my questions by myself.

I agree that it is bad to rush the release of a new OS because with a short period of time, you can't put as much good in it than waiting for 4 or 5 years of innovation that would really make it solid.

But let us not forget that the rate by which technology evolves and develops is getting faster than the past. Even 5 years for me is not a guarantee. Windows XP was released on 2001 and 5 years later on late 2006 and early 2007, Vista was released and got so much criticism on its flaws. But Windows 7 was released less than 3 years later and now several of us are impressed by it so much and its doing well on the market share. We are still getting used to it that's why some of us refuse to see a new OS until the next 5 years or so. Well, let us just hope MS doesn't get too over confident from the success on Windows 7 and that they have learned their lesson.

But personally, I want to get my hands on a beta build and answer my questions by myself.

If you look at the Mac OS 10 releases over the last decade you will see that they release a new version every two years or so. The latest version being 10.6 Snow Leopard. Frequent releases can be done and in fact are the norm. None of the OS 10 releases were disasters like Windows ME or Vista. The XP situation is very abnormal and I don't think MS will ever take so long again between releases.

Macs are solid OSs, apparently and most malware can't infect them but in terms of hardware and in terms of average to intermediate users, Windows XP was and still is very good and some people still refuse to give it up and its very understandable why. Literally, I have seen and have used PC's running Windows XP with 64MB RAM. Windows users would most likely, choose the new Windows OS when they upgrade because that is where they have familiarized themselves unless they are geeks, developers, programmers, pros or experimentalists. I have been to computers shops and they want this Windows 7, but did they ever mention Macs??? No.

Its hard for Apple to catch up with Windows in terms of the market shares. But Apple has gone well with things like the iPhone so far. Its their first phone but the top cell phone manufacturers copied its touch screen feature that caught them by surprise. They all had their supposed "iPhone killers" but they failed to kill it in the end. MS phones are not as popular either. That is where Apple beats MS.

Everything has its pros and cons but in contrary to you Anomaly, I still see Windows to have the upper hand simply because most programs being developed today are built for Windows and app publishers are getting money from it. So its like a win-win situation for both M$ and the commercial program developers. And a vast majority of users like me would prefer it over Macs though I also have a taste for Linux.

Windows would now be releasing new OSs every few years because the rate in which technology grows is now in a faster rate, they are confident after the success of Windows 7 and maybe they want even more dominance over the market as soon as possible.

But in terms of this Windows 8, lets just wait and see. We can never say if it sucks or if it rocks until we get our hands on some beta build soon.

Macs are solid OSs, apparently and most malware can't infect them but in terms of hardware and in terms of average to intermediate users, Windows XP was and still is very good and some people still refuse to give it up and its very understandable why. Literally, I have seen and have used PC's running Windows XP with 64MB RAM. Windows users would most likely, choose the new Windows OS when they upgrade because that is where they have familiarized themselves unless they are geeks, developers, programmers, pros or experimentalists. I have been to computers shops and they want this Windows 7, but did they ever mention Macs??? No.

Its hard for Apple to catch up with Windows in terms of the market shares. But Apple has gone well with things like the iPhone so far. Its their first phone but the top cell phone manufacturers copied its touch screen feature that caught them by surprise. They all had their supposed "iPhone killers" but they failed to kill it in the end. MS phones are not as popular either. That is where Apple beats MS.

Everything has its pros and cons but in contrary to you Anomaly, I still see Windows to have the upper hand simply because most programs being developed today are built for Windows and app publishers are getting money from it. So its like a win-win situation for both M$ and the commercial program developers. And a vast majority of users like me would prefer it over Macs though I also have a taste for Linux.

Windows would now be releasing new OSs every few years because the rate in which technology grows is now in a faster rate, they are confident after the success of Windows 7 and maybe they want even more dominance over the market as soon as possible.

But in terms of this Windows 8, lets just wait and see. We can never say if it sucks or if it rocks until we get our hands on some beta build soon.

People stay with XP because they don't want to put the time into learning a new OS. The reason for that is because Windows is such a PITA to use they think all OS's are. Many former Windows users I know were shocked with the small learning curve on Macs and wished they had switched earlier. They are so amazed at the ease of use of Macs that they find Windows disgusting now and can't believe how many people use it.

As for going to computer stores and seeing who is buying what. Check out any Mac store or a computer store that is authorized to sell Macs. They are packed with people.

As for the debate in general of what OS is best. IMO unless you use all of them you have no business commenting. You will be biased towards the one you use and unqualified to intelligently comment on the one you don't use. I use them all, Windows, Mac, and Linux so I am not biased to any of them since I can switch at will. How can you possibly listen to a person that refuses to even leave XP behind comment on Mac or even windows 7. They will come up with any excuse they can to justify why their OS of choice is best because they are stuck with it. The person that can use any OS has no such bias and will s much more credible. If MS released an OS that was superior to Mac I would say so without hesitation. Why wouldn't I? I have nothing holding me to any OS.

To get back on topic of this thread. The new Windows 8 sounds very interesting and I can't wait to see it. Looking forward to the new IE 9 as well which will be in beta soon.

I agree Ishi the time between "upgrades, new models" etc of all types is getting shorter and not necessarily a bad thing.

Some examples: Motor vehicles 1 year, Wide-screen TV's 1 year (sometimes less), application software - varies based on sales and opposition products 1 to 3 years, business computer hardware refresh rate between 2 & 3 years, business network input - output devices 1 to 3 years.

I suppose one major benefit with a new OS we get a chance to play with a Beta version..............bring it on developers. B)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

People stay with XP because they don't want to put the time into learning a new OS.

Windows usage does not require any learning; it doesn't matter if you use Windows 3.1, 9x, XP, or 7 - the functionality is basically the same.

Many XP users (including myself) refuse to leave it because it does everything they need. When this computer breaks I will get a new one with Windows 7 or 8, but currently I have absolutely no need for it. And most available software out there still works on XP-SP3.

Windows usage does not require any learning; it doesn't matter if you use Windows 3.1, 9x, XP, or 7 - the functionality is basically the same.

Many XP users (including myself) refuse to leave it because it does everything they need. When this computer breaks I will get a new one with Windows 7 or 8, but currently I have absolutely no need for it. And most available software out there still works on XP-SP3.

Couldn't have put it better myself

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro