can't defrag pagefile.sys

I never had this problem before with older versions of Defraggler, but ever since I downloaded one of the recent updates it won't defrag my pagefile.sys.

I've read all sorts of extremely complicated suggestions as to how to do this myself, but I am reluctant/too stupid to do this.

Can't Piriform come out with a new version that will do this?

I never had this problem before with older versions of Defraggler, but ever since I downloaded one of the recent updates it won't defrag my pagefile.sys.

It never did. Apparently your pagefile never was fragmented so far, so you didn't notice.

I've read all sorts of extremely complicated suggestions as to how to do this myself, but I am reluctant/too stupid to do this.

Personally, I always set the pagefile to a fixed size right after windows install. Then it can't get fragmented in the first place.

Can't Piriform come out with a new version that will do this?

That has been promised for years. Don't wait for it.

For a one-time operation you might use 'pagedefrag'.

PageDefrag only works on XP though. On Vista/7 you'll have to use a trial version of a paid defragmenter such as PerfectDisk or Diskeeper. Don't worry, defragging that kind of files is only done once, so you won't have to buy the software - they all come with a trial period;)

Piriform French translator

PageDefrag only works on XP though. On Vista/7 you'll have to use a trial version of a paid defragmenter such as PerfectDisk or Diskeeper. Don't worry, defragging that kind of files is only done once, so you won't have to buy the software - they all come with a trial period;)

I have been able to defrag some critical filesystem data (as the MFT) by running Defraggler from a boot CD.

Hi,

Windows does not allow to defrag critical system (such as pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys etc.) files while it is running. But it should be possible to defrag the MFT, so it is not necessary to run Defraggler from any boot cd.

Best regards

Romanoff

There's a special program around that defrags Pagefile.sys, called "PageDefrag". But that program defrags that file when Windows starts up. So, in theory, Defraggler could do that as well.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!