Fewer sys restore points than before

Augeas

• Moderators

I'm not pointing any fingers at CC, as I run CC infrequently and I have noticed this independently of CC runs.

I seem to have far fewer sys restore points than usual. I'm on XPH SP3, and I don't use CC's sys rest facility. I have the sys restore space set to 2 gb, and I always used to have around 50 or more points available, mqaking each point about 40 mb. Every so often Windows would chop off a dozen or so to give room for new daily points.

Now I have 14 points, and have had for the past few weeks. I know, from using Recuva, that I have just had another clear-out, and I have more deleted files shown in Recuva than usual, over 4k rather than the usual 1.5 to 2.5. It seems as if something is restricting the number of sys restore points that Windows can create, or forcing it to clear out points more frequently. I have only one disk by the way.

Not that I ever use sys restore, I'm just curious why my pc is not doing as it's told. I might stop and start it to see what happens but that would take more than a fortnight to test.

• Moderators

Just a few thought here to start the ball rolling Augeas.

You say you only have one disc, does it have more than one partition, and is system restore set up to monitor them as well as the C drive?

Any new software around the last few weeks?

What av do you use?

Anything unusual in Windows Event Viewer regarding system restore?

Does your pc have enough 'idle time' to create a system restore point (eg you don't have something running in the background all the time now)

Is your system date and time correct?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Do you use Wipe Free Space?

Ha! You should know me better - never. Nor do I use CC on the Recycler. I rarely use the Recycler at all.

You say you only have one disc, does it have more than one partition, and is system restore set up to monitor them as well as the C drive?

One partition.

Any new software around the last few weeks?

No. DVD Decrypter on 7/4/10 was the latest.

What av do you use?

Avast! 5.

Anything unusual in Windows Event Viewer regarding system restore?

Heven't looked. I've just looked, nothing suspicious.

Does your pc have enough 'idle time' to create a system restore point (eg you don't have something running in the background all the time now)

Plenty.

Is your system date and time correct?

Yes.

And I have over 140 gb free.

• Moderators

There have been one or two threads around on various forums about avast 5 and system restore. eg this one

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=273623

I am not saying this is the reason for your problem, just that it may be something to look into.

Have you actually tried a restore lately?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have had something similar but thought it wasn't a big issue.

Whenver I try a Restore through CCleaner, my PC crashes/hangs. When I do it through the normal Windows Restore, it works like a charm.

Simplicity is hard.

Okay whenever I even open the "System Restore" tab, my PC hangs.

I think you are being impatient - it's probably not hanging. It takes time to gather all that data. Mine is slow also but I simply wait awhile and it appears, and I have a fast computer.

You can check my PC specs in my signature, my computer isn't that slow :mellow:

By saying "gathering data" if you mean the computer not responding for more than 1 minutes unless you go to Task Manager, then yeah, probably.

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

My pc is slow to show CCe sys restore info, but only in seconds.

It seems that I have 14 points, being the last 14 taken. I'll keep an eye on the list to see if the oldest one goes as a new point is created. The Avast 5 info posted in the link doesn't seem to be specific to my case.

I quite like having 14 points. If I were asked how many I wanted to keep then 14 would be a reasonable answer, far better than my usual 50-odd. I'm just curious what's doing this.

• 2 weeks later...

You can check my PC specs in my signature, my computer isn't that slow :mellow:

By saying "gathering data" if you mean the computer not responding for more than 1 minutes unless you go to Task Manager, then yeah, probably.

ishan I finally maxed-out my Sys Vol Info so I could check how long it takes to open CC's System Restore page and display all.

It took 40 secs to search and display 14 points totaling 20.0 GB.