+ 1 for CCleaner

mr don

I tried the 6ish versions of Eraser, & they wanted to install .Net 3.5, in addition to finishing with errors, not completely erasing a drive.

CCleaner ran perfectly.

+ 1 for CCleaner working, & working with ease. Still think wipe free space should be as a tool, but it works good!

Agree totally with Andavari, this comes as no surprise to me. I actually thought I'd give the current version a try recently and it was a shadow of its former self. I do still use the old 5.7 version though and it wipes the floor with CCleaners secure deletion (all existence of files are gone unlike CCleaner and Recuvas method of renaming them zzzzzzzzzz.zzz or whatever)

Oh and I agree completely with moving WFS to tools, but I think thats only a matter of time (possibly in version 3?). It's far to sensible not to be changed at some point.

Ditto. When Eraser trashed my pc last year I switched to CC, and do my erasing with File Shredder.

I still have an older version - 5.86 which works fine on my WinXP PCs, but honestly, I rarely use it. I just have no need to wipe my HDD.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

I still have an older version - 5.86 which works fine on my WinXP PCs, but honestly, I rarely use it. I just have no need to wipe my HDD.

For me Eraser was flawless with Win98, a few issues on Xp, a mess on Vista (586a). Oh no, Joel. :P

• 2 months later...

That's also what I use.

You use FileShredder to erase, then what do you use CCleaner for? I just downloaded Eraser yesterday and felt like it wasn't doing it's job like it used to back in 5.8. When would you use FileShredder vs CCleaner?

What would you use to wipe a HDD? Would you format it as well?

Thanks!

Edited by kazoo

• Moderators

You use FileShredder to erase, then what do you use CCleaner for?

I use CCleaner for it's original purpose:

* Remove junk files

* Safe registry cleaner

I rarely use any of CCleaner's secure deletion methods.