Big External HDD Troubles

Amtrak7

I am having big problems with my external hard drive. It works fine when connected to a computer running Vista. Then, I do this:

Hibernate the Vista computer

Disconnect the external hard drive and plug it into another computer running Windows 7

Make some minor file edits

Plug it back into the Vista computer

Boot the Vista computer back up

After doing so, the hard drive experienced big problems. Subfolders over 1 level deep returned "not accessible" errors when I attempted to open them. Then, I ran chkdsk/f on the drive and it fixed hundreds of file errors and tens of thousands of security errors. When I rebooted the computer, I could access the drive through the built in administrator account, but not through other accounts. I changed the security settings to allow Users full control and now all files can be accessed.

However, a few files, including an Outlook PST containing half a year's worth of emails+RSS feeds, is now 0KB in size. It was originally 100+MB. The file was open but not actively being written in when the computer was hibernated, and I didn't modify it on the Windows 7 computer. What should I do?