Firefox Cache no longer is cleaned under Win7?

AEon

Recently installed Windows 7 64bit on a new PC (Firefox v3.6.3). I am running the latest version of CCleaner v2.32 (issue has been with previous versions though as well).

Issue: When you set Cleaner tab, Applications tab, Firefox/Mozilla, Internet Cache, the tool should clean up the internet cache, and this works under WinXP. There might have been a warning that not all files could be cleaned, because the browser is presently using the files (i.e. running). But now CCleaner only shows:

Firefox/Mozilla cache cleaning was skipped. (or is 0 Bytes) after a "Analyze" button run.

If that helps, the new cache is located under:

C:\Users\<WinAccountName>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zs2x64a7.default\Cache\

Strange.

Any suggestions appreciated.

and firefox.exe is not running? check this under processes ctrl-alt-del

No fate but what we make

Oh Firefox is running... it always is. But since you can clear the cache from "inside" Firefox, CCleaner should at least partially be able to do so under Win7 (since it worked under WinXP).

Oh Firefox is running... it always is. But since you can clear the cache from "inside" Firefox, CCleaner should at least partially be able to do so under Win7 (since it worked under WinXP).

It's never cleared it in xp if the process is running. I'm on xp and can vouch for that,

CCleaner probably can not access the cache if firefox is running hence why it is skipped.

No fate but what we make

ident,

I did it many times under XP... it said something like "some files may not have been deleted", but some were gone. No matter.

eL_PuSHeR,

to free up some HD space. E.g. before you create a backup of C:\.

I'll try closing the firefox tasks, and see if CCleaner then works.

CCleaner hasn't cleaned the Firefox cache with Firefox running for as long as I've been using it (several years) so this is nothing new

Is it even possible? I'd of thought the file would be locked....

Even if so it would be extremely irresponsible of ccleaner to wipe an in use file.

No fate but what we make

Is it even possible? I'd of thought the file would be locked....

Even if so it would be extremely irresponsible of ccleaner to wipe an in use file.

I'm going back an awful long way but IIRC in the veeeeery early days CCleaner did used to clean it whilst it was open but it would break Firefox, hence it has since skipped cleaning it whilst FF is open. I'm not sure if it's actually possible now, do other cleaners do it?

• Moderators
But since you can clear the cache from "inside" Firefox,

I don't see how this would be valid. . . of course the program which has the mysql database open can empty it. . . and on the same tip of course the program that does not have it open (in this case ccleaner) can not empty it.. . seems logical enough to me. . . and no it was not cleaned in xp either. . . and why (if this is done to free space) not a) run clean from "inside" firefox or not have any cache at all? http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=27881

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Default cache size is 50mb, and if you are worried about low space over 50mb i'd seriously suggest you start uninstalling old items/files

No fate but what we make

Amazing how anything I mention can be taken the wrong way and made illogical.

Nergal,

why use CCleaner? Because I do such a clean-up in one go. That's way. Obvious? Sure you can do it all over the place, e.g. you can delete the Firefox files in the cache folder with Directory Opus or some other file browser manually. So it is possible externally to delete the files (all except the first "_CACHE_" files).

ident,

your comment about making the cache smaller is marginally useful. And as I already mentioned this is *not* about disk space per se, but about cleaning up the system C:\ drive quickly before you run a backup to avoid back-upping junk.

Bottom line CCleaner does not clean the Firefox cache when the browser is running. OK. That's all I was checking... because I had the feeling that the changed folder structures in Win7 may be confusing the tool. Apparently not.