Ubuntu

login123

Well its not looking too simple. I did not use a third party boot manager whatsoever to install Solaris, I just created a partition like what I said and burned the Solaris ISO into the CD and booted from it then presto, it was installed.

I have have tried 3 ways of installing Ubuntu and I have failed trice.

1. Install via CD....FAILED...... if I try to specify a partition where to install, it says, "no root directory specified". If I try to choose "install alongside Windows" it will cut my Windows 7 partition in to two which I can't at the moment cause like what I stated, more than half of my C: drive is filled. When I tried this when my C: drive used to be bigger, the installation fails at 49% because it says there was a drive error or something.

2.Install using a bootable USB....FAILED......the same problems happen like the CD install.

3. Install via Wubi...FAILED....it says that permission is denied or something.

The only mistake I seem to have made is that I always did a quick format on the partition where I try to install Ubuntu but that does not explain why Solaris was installed on a quick-formatted drive anyway. I did a non-quick format on drive O: last night and I would try to install Ubuntu in there again using Wubi and see if it goes any better. I also managed to unhide the AppData folder like what Aethec suggested and I would attempt another install later today if I could. But I wish my Internet was faster though.

If it fails from there, maybe a rebuild is the best option and if that fails as well, then I assume my hard drive is just not compatible with Ubuntu.

But I'd rather save some money on a Windows 8 CD someday lol...

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Well its not looking too simple. I did not use a third party boot manager whatsoever to install Solaris, I just created a partition like what I said and burned the Solaris ISO into the CD and booted from it then presto, it was installed.

I have have tried 3 ways of installing Ubuntu and I have failed trice.

1. Install via CD....FAILED...... if I try to specify a partition where to install, it says, "no root directory specified". If I try to choose "install alongside Windows" it will cut my Windows 7 partition in to two which I can't at the moment cause like what I stated, more than half of my C: drive is filled. When I tried this when my C: drive used to be bigger, the installation fails at 49% because it says there was a drive error or something.

2.Install using a bootable USB....FAILED......the same problems happen like the CD install.

3. Install via Wubi...FAILED....it says that permission is denied or something.

The only mistake I seem to have made is that I always did a quick format on the partition where I try to install Ubuntu but that does not explain why Solaris was installed on a quick-formatted drive anyway. I did a non-quick format on drive O: last night and I would try to install Ubuntu in there again using Wubi and see if it goes any better. I also managed to unhide the AppData folder like what Aethec suggested and I would attempt another install later today if I could. But I wish my Internet was faster though.

If it fails from there, maybe a rebuild is the best option and if that fails as well, then I assume my hard drive is just not compatible with Ubuntu.

But I'd rather save some money on a Windows 8 CD someday lol...

A quick format is not really a mistake however it is always best to do a "full" format, some might call it a "low level format", still I do not see why Ubuntu failed to install, especially in light of the fact as you say, Solaris installed correctly. As you did not do the original install of Win7 why not log on as "administrator" not as a user with admin rights to see if there is a different result. Following this step, If it was me (and it was me 3 weeks ago) I would be rebuilding (re installing once you have backed up your data files etc.) and starting from scratch, assuming you still wish to run Ubuntu, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. BUT Windows 8, bloody hell Windows 7 is only 6 months old; I think you best get a bigger hard drive so you can run several operating systems similar to me, at least 2 physical hard drives about 500GIG to 1.0TB is called for.

Let me know what happens......good luck.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

LOL, I started from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and I now feel I need more!!!! And yes, part of the budget will go to hardware improvements such as hard drives on my plans.

What you are telling me is that I should open the computer via the built in administrator account and try to install from there and see what turns out???

But frankly, I am too lazy to install too many programs and store so many files. I think I may have less than 5 or 6GB worth of all my programs and files combined together now that my recorded TV are gone.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

LOL, I started from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and I now feel I need more!!!! And yes, part of the budget will go to hardware improvements such as hard drives on my plans.

What you are telling me is that I should open the computer via the built in administrator account and try to install from there and see what turns out???

But frankly, I am too lazy to install too many programs and store so many files. I think I may have less than 5 or 6GB worth of all my programs and files combined together now that my recorded TV are gone.

Yes Ishi that is correct, try longing in as user name: administrator

Hopefully you know the password?

I just used the same ISO disc Ubuntu 10.04 that I used to install via Wubi, this time I tried to install on a laptop with a empty blank 20GIG hard drive and got half way through and "Failed" (did it 3 times of fact - same result) it reported some sort of unrecoverable error. This I have seen before on my Test PC, hence the reason I went for the Wubi Ubuntu installer.

Buggered if I know what's happening, now I am in the middle of installing Puppy 5.0.1 on the laptop. :(

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Yes Ishi that is correct, try longing in as user name: administrator

Hopefully you know the password?

I just used the same ISO disc Ubuntu 10.04 that I used to install via Wubi, this time I tried to install on a laptop with a empty blank 20GIG hard drive and got half way through and "Failed" (did it 3 times of fact - same result) it reported some sort of unrecoverable error. This I have seen before on my Test PC, hence the reason I went for the Wubi Ubuntu installer.

Buggered if I know what's happening, now I am in the middle of installing Puppy 5.0.1 on the laptop. :(

I don't even need a password. I just managed to open the built-in administrator account a few hours ago with ease. Thank God, you have Goggle, you just have to type lusrmgr.msc on Run and it launches this MMC console that you can choose to enable the built-in Administrator account. Works for most editions of Win 7. If you open it, no password is needed by default.

If you want to open the built in Administrator on Windows XP, its even simpler and I did it a heck of a lot of times. Just press Ctrl+Alt+Del two times on the log on screen and type Administrator on the prompt and hit ENTER, walla, you get to access the built in Admin account on Windows XP but this shouldn't work if the Task Manager is disabled by someone with another Admin account, I think.

So, you just attempted to install Ubuntu via CD on a 20GB empty drive on a laptop just now???? And it failed 3 times because of an unrecoverable error??? You know what, I had the very same warning about this freaking "unrecoverable error". Don't you think there is a sequence of events that leads this to happen and makes Ubuntu's installation fail???? I think there must be a pretty bad bug or error about this and the Ubuntu devs should look into it.

Now at least, I can tell I'm not the only one faced with that problem.

I don't even need a password. I just managed to open the built-in administrator account a few hours ago with ease. Thank God, you have Goggle, you just have to type lusrmgr.msc on Run and it launches this MMC console that you can choose to enable the built-in Administrator account. Works for most editions of Win 7. If you open it, no password is needed by default.

If you want to open the built in Administrator on Windows XP, its even simpler and I did it a heck of a lot of times. Just press Ctrl+Alt+Del two times on the log on screen and type Administrator on the prompt and hit ENTER, walla, you get to access the built in Admin account on Windows XP but this shouldn't work if the Task Manager is disabled by someone with another Admin account, I think.

So, you just attempted to install Ubuntu via CD on a 20GB empty drive on a laptop just now???? And it failed 3 times because of an unrecoverable error??? You know what, I had the very same warning about this freaking "unrecoverable error". Don't you think there is a sequence of events that leads this to happen and makes Ubuntu's installation fail???? I think there must be a pretty bad bug or error about this and the Ubuntu devs should look into it.

Hey there Ishi that is interesting info re gaining access to the admin account, I'll remember that one.

Re my issue of FAILED install of Ubuntu 10.04 on the laptop, remember I said several posts ago that the same thing happened when I originally attempted to install on my test PC. I have even downloaded the bloody 700MB ISO file twice, and no matter which install CD I use the result is the same.....FAILED re the error message. That is when I went searching (as you say thank god for Google) for an answer and came up with "Wubi Ubuntu Installer" - I USED THE SAME INSTALL CD THAT FAILED TWICE AND AGAIN THIS EVENING, BUT VIA the Wubi installer it BLOODY WELL WORKED, and I have no idea why. Your experiences only confuses the situation more.

Hence I maintain, do a re build and start from scratch.....I did and it worked. Remember to date, between you and I we have recored at least 6 failed installs over 3 PC's and 1 laptop.......I think I shall go and watch an action movie and have a Bundy and coke. :P

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

The truth is that, I think I failed the CD install twice or more, the USB install once because of the "unrecoverable error", and the Wubi install twice because of denied permission thing.

But did you did recently make a rebuild before you get this Wubi install right today???? You said you did but was it today??? Or have you changed any settings before you got it to work??? I assume you did not cause you said you have no idea why.

If a rebuild is the best option, then fine, I'll look into it and see what I can do :)

So in theory my best option is Rebuild + install via Wubi

The truth is that, I think I failed the CD install twice or more, the USB install once because of the "unrecoverable error", and the Wubi install twice because of denied permission thing.

But did you did recently make a rebuild before you get this Wubi install right today???? You said you did but was it today??? Or have you changed any settings before you got it to work??? I assume you did not cause you said you have no idea why.

If a rebuild is the best option, then fine, I'll look into it and see what I can do :)

So in theory my best option is Rebuild + install via Wubi

Yes Ishi, It was about 1 week ago that I rebuilt my test PC. Re installed Win 7, then XP Pro, then booted into Win7, launched the Wubi Ubuntu installer, and that install went perfectly. It is the one that I am now running with no issues at all.

During the install the only thing I did was to input my chosen password, location where I wanted the Ubuntu OS installed (last partition on the second physical hard drive), the Wubi installer picked up the CD drive that contained the same ISO that refused to install previously.

Then yesterday (after reading your log for the second time) I attempted to install Ubuntu on a new empty 20GIG hard drive on the laptop and failed 3 times. I even tried again at 2.00am this morning (Tuesday 15th) twice with the same bloody result FAILED due to that same bloody Error message. The install then proceeded to install as "live CD" to RAM so I could diagnose the problem, well that's what the message said. But I was non the wiser. Just had 6 hours sleep and here I am again.

The only benefit in this long process and a rebuild is that I am enjoying the final successful install of Ubuntu. :blink:

I need another cup of coffee.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

I am posting this using the SliTaz live cd.

It's just a 30MB (yes 30) download..unbelievable.

It ran so quickly from when I put in the disk and rebooted I thought something had gone wrong!

http://www.slitaz.org/

Hi, Hazel.

I'm using Puppy 5 from a usb stick to download the Slitaz iso to my "real" hard drive, formerly known as C:, known to Puppy as SDA2...??. :P No telling what that messed up, but still running so far.

It downloaded so quickly that I also thought something had gone wrong.

In the next few minutes, will find and use an iso burner native to Puppy to put the SliTaz iso on a CD and reboot straight from Puppy to Slitaz. Fingers crossed, wish me luck.

The Times They Are A Changin'

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

That went well. SliTaz is fast. Burn the cd using Puppy's burner took 2, 3 minutes, verify also 2, 3 minutes.

Rebooted straight from the CD. SliTaz loads, runs very quickly. However....the browser in SliTaz wouldn't let me log in to this forum. ? So, back to Puppy to log in here. Haven't seen windows all day. :-) Gonna try SliTaz & Midori again.

Edit: Back on here using SliTaz. During the setup screen, I had selected the wrong keyboard setup...hit the enter key twice by mistake...maybe that caused the password to look wrong or something. But back now.

SliTaz is quick as lightening.

Thanks, Hazelnut, Got any more? :-)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Yes SliTaz is quite amazing for the size isn't it?

I was able to log in the forum no bother with it, perhaps another attempt at it as you say. The live cd's are great for doing things, I did some partition allocation the other day for a friend using gparted on the ubuntu cd she had.

I still don't like ubuntu and I still cannot work out why :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

... I did some partition allocation the other day for a friend using gparted on the ubuntu cd she had.

Yes. Amazing. Fast. Complete.

Still like Puppy 5, Too.

I edited the post above, found out why the logon failed, I think. I have also tried some partitioning, sort of scary for me. Since that debacle with the Puppy installation, my partitions seem to renumber themselves randomly anyhow, so I guess it couldn't hurt. :-)

edit: Back on now using windows and IE7. Sure enough, my external USB drive has renumbered itself from J: to F:. Still works, but desktop links to files on it need replaced.

Same here, ubuntu just seems stuffy...makes no sense but there it is.

With these smaller distros it almost seems like you get an operating system for the price of a usb stick.

SliTaz right now is using 1 percent cpu and 86 mb memory. Pretty light.

Should be a picture below, made and cropped with all native SliTaz apps.

th_SliTaz_taskmngr.jpg

• Moderators

Re the usb drives changing letters, perhaps consider the 'Pink Kitty' approach here in this article. Worth a thought and a great article anyway.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28888

Also in this article it explains the reason why this is happening to you I think

http://windowssecrets.com/2007/04/05/01-How-to-prevent-and-remove-phantom-devices

although how you use 'safely remove hardware' in SliTaz is one you will have to work out!!

A nifty little Nirsoft utility

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks, Hazelnut...that first article explained it i think.

That author, Bill Castner, has a great sense of humor. He says: "...Don't ask me to explain why you Boot from the System Volume and run the System from the Boot Volume, as no explanation ever satisfied me either..." :-)

Well Ishi I really was %#&&ed off re the failed install of Ubuntu on the laptop 20gog HD, and in reading many articles on "running Ubuntu" since my last rebuild of my Win7 / Wubi Ubuntu install, most articles state that whilst this method allows the Windows user to run & test Linux whilst still reverting back to Windows OS, Ubuntu runs a little slower and I found out that when I loaded it up with a heap of Movies for me to access across my network, I was running out of space. Even though I install the Wubi Ubuntu on a 70gig HD, I was not able to easily increase the size allocated to the Linux install.

That coupled with the idea that both you and I have not been able to install Ubuntu in the normal fashion and retain a "dual boot" (Windows & Linux) scenario, and I do not like being beaten and not knowing why something can not be done, more reading and "back to basics" - I needed to make this Ubuntu install BLOODY possible.......well.....I'VE DONE IT

I shall explain how I did it as briefly as possible, not always easy for me.

Task is to install Ubuntu direct to hard drive (not via Wubi under a Windows 7 session) retain dual boot to existing Windows 7 as 1st boot option.

Situation before I started:

Test PC with 2 physical HD'd

Drive 0 300gig / jumper setting as "cable select" / 3 partitions / 70gig for Windows 7 - 160gig Data - 70gig empty

Drive 1 160gig / jumper setting as "cable select" / 3 partitions / 60gig for Windows XP - 50gig Data - 50gig for Wubi Ubuntu installed

Following a Macrium back up of both Win7 & XP I did the following. These backup's are stored on the Data partition of Drive 0

Drive 0 - did nothing at all.

Drive 1 - delete partitions, created 1 160gig partition, quick Format NTFS (not sure why I choose NTFS) Later on I did notice that Linux formated my USB stick Fat32.

Physically disconnected Drive 0, left the cable ribbons as is, both HD's are IDE types. CD drive is SATAII (all jumper-ed as cable select)

Commenced the Ubuntu 10.4 install (same ISO Cd as before).......got the same error dialogue box "installation failed" followed by " The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again"....Yeah like I know what I'm doing, NOT.

At this point in time it's 11.30pm....bugger it I'll try again..........same result. OK then, I shall let the installer run as suggested, install a live CD session and start searching the web (AGAIN).

OK, now I've got a Ubuntu screen in front of me and on the desktop are 2 icons (plus all the other stuff shown on the top and bottom panel), 1 icon says "examples" the other says "install Ubuntu" What the!!!!!!! I thought I just tried that with no result, ah well nothing ventured nothing gained, fire up another cup of coffee (my 3rd since 10.00pm) lets double click on this "install Ubuntu" icon.............away we go.

So I'm supping coffee munching on a "bickie" 25 minutes later.....I've got a full blown installed to hard drive Ubuntu OS.

I was presented with 7 screens during the install process, allowed the install access & to format the whole 160gig partition, entered my location etc. I DID NOT ATTEMPT THE ADVANCED OPTION where I could have decided on various sizes for all those weird Linux partitions/sections/ whatever.......if I don't know, don't fiddle.

So I went on the web, accessed data from other network PC's once I had enabled Samba, now for a "reboot".

Well that went fine, all up and running, installed Thunderbird, created my e-mail account, access to the WWW, bloody hell now I can do almost anything. Now I need to get the "dual boot" thing going, Win7 & Ubuntu.

Run the PC down, reconnect Drive 0 and turn on to see what happens................Both HD are jumper-ed as "cable select", the way the ribbon cable is connected the boot sequence after CD is HD 0, 1st partition which is Win7, Ubuntu is on HD 1.........NUP! it boots straight into Ubuntu, no sign of the other OS, yet both HD's posted during the boot up sequence. Both Western Digital by the way.

Disconnect the power to HD 1 (Ubuntu), leave the cables in the same position, leave the jumper as is.....YES, boots into Win 7.

So I re configure BCD boot loader, (tried various options over the wee small hours of the morning) tell it that I want a Linux OS as 2nd boot option, select "Grub 2" (tried Grub Legacy, and others does not work).....shut down. Re connect HD 1, still jumper-ed the same, go for a cold boot.......NO GO. Tried many combinations, some I repeated (forgetful now as it's bloody late)...another cup of.......something.

Back to basics, jumper HD 0 as "master" and HD 1 as "slave" cold reboot and................bingo............there they are:

Option 1 - Windows 7

Option 2 - Ubuntu

Test both OS's several times, all OK, network working well from all sides and all boots..........Bloody hell it's 2.38am Wednesday the 23rd June, I started mucking around at 10.00pm last night, took the plunge at 11.30pm, I think.......anyhow now all I need to do is re install all the previous installed software, GetDeb, Ubuntu Tweaks etc.

Ishi sorry for the lengthy story but I tried to remember everything I did and the order that I did it in to get a successful Ubuntu install in the hope that some of the above may assist you with your install. Let me know how you go when you get around to having another crack at it. :D

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Tasgandy, that is a better tutorial than I have ever gotten from a help file...for example the acronis help file...when accessing it, I always wear a fighters mouthpiece to keep from breaking my teeth when I grind them. :lol:

I appreciate the completeness of the explanation...makes me think I might even be able to do it. Thank you.

You are tenacious. Will be anxious to see how ishi gets along.

Have had 2 failures to post in this forum in the last 2 days using Slitaz & Midori. Trying again.

One just now from this computer, one last night from another, older, slower HP w/ win xp sp3 (have no data about it except verrry slow). Last night I could log on, navigate, open a reply window, just would not post a reply.

Will see if it does so here, now. B)

Edit: I had hoped to be able to say that SliTaz had breathed life into that old slow computer, but I waited a long time for the post to ...enter... or whatever it does. It never did.

Anyway, the little operating system SliTaz booted and ran lots faster than the windows OS, and the glitch may have been something I did. Working fine now.

Tasgandy, I am looking forward to trying your ubuntu install for Mint, but it will again, be a week or so. My real life is constantly interrupting my installaholic life. :-)

Have had 2 failures to post in this forum in the last 2 days using Slitaz & Midori. Trying again.

One just now from this computer, one last night from another, older, slower HP w/ win xp sp3 (have no data about it except verrry slow). Last night I could log on, navigate, open a reply window, just would not post a reply.

Will see if it does so here, now. B)

Edit: I had hoped to be able to say that SliTaz had breathed life into that old slow computer, but I waited a long time for the post to ...enter... or whatever it does. It never did.

Anyway, the little operating system SliTaz booted and ran lots faster than the windows OS, and the glitch may have been something I did. Working fine now.

Tasgandy, I am looking forward to trying your ubuntu install for Mint, but it will again, be a week or so. My real life is constantly interrupting my installaholic life. :-)

Yeah I know the feeling, I also am a true "installaholic" so much so that the failed Ubuntu install on the laptop that I reported the other day is bugging me, SO HERE I GO AGAIN. I have added more RAM and another 20gig (2nd hand HD from an old MFD photocopier) to the laptop, and I shall try again.

The laptop is a 6 - 7 year old Dell Latitude C600, now with 1024 MB of RAM (was 256 MB), 20gig Toshiba HD and a 128MB ATI video card. I shall let you know if it's "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" result. <_<

PS: the NEW Ubuntu build is still working very well, have now installed all software, using it right now, appears to be blindingly fast, however perhaps it's because it's new, like a new toy or a nicely washed and serviced car that always seems to go better. I am even printing to my USB connected Canon MF4150 laser printer hanging off my main networked PC, using a CUPS UFR2 driver from Canon UK. Indeed the "dual boot" function is also working well. Image attached showing the new Win7 / Ubuntu build as reported.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Yeah I know the feeling, I also am a true "installaholic" so much so that the failed Ubuntu install on the laptop that I reported the other day is bugging me, SO HERE I GO AGAIN. I have added more RAM and another 20gig (2nd hand HD from an old MFD photocopier) to the laptop, and I shall try again.

Well it took a couple of days to nail down the problem I was having with the Laptop.....another 20gig HD that is not 100%. That's 2 20gig HD's in succession, suppose the message here is "buy a new HD" and stop using old 2nd hand bit's from the old days. Appears both HD's have boot sector problems (the very reason they were replaced).

Never mind I shall have to be happy with playing / learning on one Ubuntu install (until I get some spare cash). :(

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

• 1 month later...

I was able to log in the forum no bother with it, perhaps another attempt at it as you say. The live cd's are great for doing things, I did some partition allocation the other day for a friend using gparted on the ubuntu cd she had.

I know why. Because you are so used to the Windows way, you essentially wish for a "Windows" Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is not perfect, but it is improving by leaps & bounds. The GUI is getting better, driver support, icons, simplicity of setup/use...

Eventually it will be competition to Windows at this rate. May not run certain Win apps yet, but eventually... it will become good enough I believe.

• Moderators

I know why. Because you are so used to the Windows way, you essentially wish for a "Windows" Ubuntu.

No it's not why. It's because I don't like it as a distro compared to other distros I've used.

It's got nothing to do with wanting a Windows Ubuntu.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

No it's not why. It's because I don't like it as a distro compared to other distros I've used.

Me too...thats not why...I'm also not sure why I don't like it, but I think it is because Ubuntu is a turgid and uninviting sort of an op system. It certainly isn't because I want one with which I am familiar...that list is really short. :P

Although I must agree that Ubuntu and most of the linux distros are improving at a rate which should scare microsoft. IMHO as a renowned OS gooroo.

What other distros do you like/use? Linux Mint? Puppy Linux? React OS? Other?

Well Ishi I really was %#&&ed off re the failed install of Ubuntu on the laptop 20gog HD, and in reading many articles on "running Ubuntu" since my last rebuild of my Win7 / Wubi Ubuntu install, most articles state that whilst this method allows the Windows user to run & test Linux whilst still reverting back to Windows OS, Ubuntu runs a little slower and I found out that when I loaded it up with a heap of Movies for me to access across my network, I was running out of space. Even though I install the Wubi Ubuntu on a 70gig HD, I was not able to easily increase the size allocated to the Linux install.

That coupled with the idea that both you and I have not been able to install Ubuntu in the normal fashion and retain a "dual boot" (Windows & Linux) scenario, and I do not like being beaten and not knowing why something can not be done, more reading and "back to basics" - I needed to make this Ubuntu install BLOODY possible.......well.....I'VE DONE IT

I shall explain how I did it as briefly as possible, not always easy for me.

Task is to install Ubuntu direct to hard drive (not via Wubi under a Windows 7 session) retain dual boot to existing Windows 7 as 1st boot option.

Situation before I started:

Test PC with 2 physical HD'd

Drive 0 300gig / jumper setting as "cable select" / 3 partitions / 70gig for Windows 7 - 160gig Data - 70gig empty

Drive 1 160gig / jumper setting as "cable select" / 3 partitions / 60gig for Windows XP - 50gig Data - 50gig for Wubi Ubuntu installed

Following a Macrium back up of both Win7 & XP I did the following. These backup's are stored on the Data partition of Drive 0

Drive 0 - did nothing at all.

Drive 1 - delete partitions, created 1 160gig partition, quick Format NTFS (not sure why I choose NTFS) Later on I did notice that Linux formated my USB stick Fat32.

Physically disconnected Drive 0, left the cable ribbons as is, both HD's are IDE types. CD drive is SATAII (all jumper-ed as cable select)

Commenced the Ubuntu 10.4 install (same ISO Cd as before).......got the same error dialogue box "installation failed" followed by " The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again"....Yeah like I know what I'm doing, NOT.

At this point in time it's 11.30pm....bugger it I'll try again..........same result. OK then, I shall let the installer run as suggested, install a live CD session and start searching the web (AGAIN).

OK, now I've got a Ubuntu screen in front of me and on the desktop are 2 icons (plus all the other stuff shown on the top and bottom panel), 1 icon says "examples" the other says "install Ubuntu" What the!!!!!!! I thought I just tried that with no result, ah well nothing ventured nothing gained, fire up another cup of coffee (my 3rd since 10.00pm) lets double click on this "install Ubuntu" icon.............away we go.

So I'm supping coffee munching on a "bickie" 25 minutes later.....I've got a full blown installed to hard drive Ubuntu OS.

I was presented with 7 screens during the install process, allowed the install access & to format the whole 160gig partition, entered my location etc. I DID NOT ATTEMPT THE ADVANCED OPTION where I could have decided on various sizes for all those weird Linux partitions/sections/ whatever.......if I don't know, don't fiddle.

So I went on the web, accessed data from other network PC's once I had enabled Samba, now for a "reboot".

Well that went fine, all up and running, installed Thunderbird, created my e-mail account, access to the WWW, bloody hell now I can do almost anything. Now I need to get the "dual boot" thing going, Win7 & Ubuntu.

Run the PC down, reconnect Drive 0 and turn on to see what happens................Both HD are jumper-ed as "cable select", the way the ribbon cable is connected the boot sequence after CD is HD 0, 1st partition which is Win7, Ubuntu is on HD 1.........NUP! it boots straight into Ubuntu, no sign of the other OS, yet both HD's posted during the boot up sequence. Both Western Digital by the way.

Disconnect the power to HD 1 (Ubuntu), leave the cables in the same position, leave the jumper as is.....YES, boots into Win 7.

So I re configure BCD boot loader, (tried various options over the wee small hours of the morning) tell it that I want a Linux OS as 2nd boot option, select "Grub 2" (tried Grub Legacy, and others does not work).....shut down. Re connect HD 1, still jumper-ed the same, go for a cold boot.......NO GO. Tried many combinations, some I repeated (forgetful now as it's bloody late)...another cup of.......something.

Back to basics, jumper HD 0 as "master" and HD 1 as "slave" cold reboot and................bingo............there they are:

Option 1 - Windows 7

Option 2 - Ubuntu

Test both OS's several times, all OK, network working well from all sides and all boots..........Bloody hell it's 2.38am Wednesday the 23rd June, I started mucking around at 10.00pm last night, took the plunge at 11.30pm, I think.......anyhow now all I need to do is re install all the previous installed software, GetDeb, Ubuntu Tweaks etc.

Ishi sorry for the lengthy story but I tried to remember everything I did and the order that I did it in to get a successful Ubuntu install in the hope that some of the above may assist you with your install. Let me know how you go when you get around to having another crack at it. :D

Ubuntu is easy. Do a complete PC backup & check that your PC is set to load from CD/DVD 1st. Then:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Download Ubuntu iso & burn to CD with imgburn

- Insert Ubuntu disk in CD tray & reboot

- PC will auto-detect Ubuntu & give you option to erase the old OS before installing Ubuntu, or dualboot.

- I chose dualboot & Ubuntu automatically presented me with a suggested partition resize.

- I accepted & a few screens later I was almost done. Ubuntu offered checkboxes to import XP's wallpaper, firefox settings, My Docs, My pics, etc. before entering Ubuntu

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seemed pretty easy to me, & was done in less than 2 hr including download ISO, burn it, setup, etc...