CCleaner Community Forums
thetitten

wipe free sapce not doing anything

I love CCleaner. It does a fantastic job of cleaning up my pc, but the wipe free space no longer seems to work.

When I choose the option to wipe free space (OPTIONS > SETTINGS > select a partition > select wipe MFT) and then run the cleaner, it cleans all the regular temp files just fine, but the wipe free space does not appear to run. The cleaner runs and finishes in just a few seconds.

It did wipe free space successfully when I first installed CCleaner a week ago. That was on another partition. Have tried it on all my partitions now with the same no result. Tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling but no change.

Attached are two images of the state of cleaner after running a clean and another image showing my settings.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

ccleaner v2.30.1130, Win XP SP3

post-36978-1271374248_thumb.png

post-36978-1271374336_thumb.png

Since you have not posted up a screen shot of the setting my guess is you dont even have WFS even checked.

windows tab - advanced - wipe free space

I would not waste my time WFS, it does nothing to improve performance.

Since you have not posted up a screen shot of the setting my guess is you dont even have WFS even checked.

windows tab - advanced - wipe free space

I would not waste my time WFS, it does nothing to improve performance.

You are right. I didn't have have the wipe free space checked....the dummy I am. Thanks for the response.

nor does WFS give you anymore free space than you had previously (and with win7 it may give less as a shadow copy might be made not sure)