Startup - Disable not working for some programs

I have some programs that appear in the "Startup" list that I wish to disable but when I click the disable button it has no affect (fails to disable). The unique thing I see about these programs as they appear in the list; is that there is no data in the "file" column (No location).

Is this a normal thing for a program to appear in the list but not have the file location?

One example of this is: HKCU:Run - PowerBar

It is a DVD application of CyberLink Corp. that came pre installed on my PC.

In the "File column there is no data; but this program is PowerBar.exe

It is located in "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerStarter".

The Registry key is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Also: Just want to mention how awesome CCleaner is... For that matter; how awesome Piriform in general is...

Thanks for any help or explanation you can offer.

First suggestion, Double click the entry rather then the button (this toggles it)

Second try msconfig. start - run type msconfig and go to the startup tab.

Third manually remove this entry your self. start - run - regedit - and navigate to the entry

The last maybe not the best idea for you since registry editing can be dangerous.

I would if i was you get rid of CyberLink . There are plenty of free better media players out there.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
I would if i was you get rid of CyberLink . There are plenty of free better media players out there.

Maybe, however they do supply the system DVD Video Decoder as well, and it's a good one too that just plain and simple always works, and other run-of-the-mill media players can also use it for decoding.

I think the last time i tried it was 5 years ago. I guess every one deserves a second chance.

No fate but what we make

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe, however they do supply the system DVD Video Decoder as well, and it's a good one too that just plain and simple always works, and other run-of-the-mill media players can also use it for decoding.

KM Player, VLC Player, SM Player, & Gom Player are all great video players.

Latest KM includes ask toolbar, even without permission, so you have to either use the one before that (available on filehippo), or install that, remove the toolbar, & finally, since they break their agreement & install the toolbar (even after you unselect it), you are free to violate your agreement with them & repack it to have a toolbar-less version after you install/remove that stupid toolbar.

A user agreement is only valid so long as both parties keep their terms of agreement, & I see with the latest iteration of KM Player, that they are in such a hurry to foist the Ask Toolbar on users, that in spite of unchecking the toolbar, it STILL appears on the user's system, therebye killing off their part of the bargain.

I have not noticed a difference in video quality in using KM Player (Which includes nearly every codec you need by default) or Cyber DVD. In addition, a simple CTRL + D will usually launch a DVD in the drive, once KM is loaded.

If you need other codecs, it is usually quick or real alternative files. There is a Kazaalite Codec Pack available as freeware, should you need additional codecs.

Hope this helps!

I have to throw in my two bits on this one as well.

If this is a new HP, the Cyberlink is also probably the burning program that came with the computer. It has turned into a full suite having to do with your optical drive, similar to Nero in that regard. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying that keeping it won't hurt anything. From what I have seen so far, it is not too bad. I should mention, I am a tech and work on client machines that have this, and one of the computers I own is an HP with this on it. I personally tend to use ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP Pro, but I have used the Cyberlink and it was fine. If it is in the start up, it is possibly doing that noise reduction thing by slowing down the drive when playing or burning, or detecting that a disc has been inserted in a drive, or simply pre-loading the suite like OpenOffice.org does. This is one of those rare cases where nobody seems to be able to figure out what the program does, but it is most likely safe. If it were not safe, by now someone (anti-malware companies) would have taken the thing apart and found out what makes it tick and found, or built, a removal tool, or given info on how.

You might try copying the EXE and moving it or renaming it to something else and copy the registry entry so that you can put it back later. Then reboot your computer and then put in a movie DVD to play and then a blank to burn and try to see what the difference is without the powerbar. If you figure it out, please post it back here, since nobody else knows yet. I looked for this on my HP system and it did not have it. Also from your link on where the file is, your Cyberlink must now be 64Bit and mine is 32bit on a 64bit system.

I'm sure we would all like to know what you do, so post back here on what you did.

Also, mr don, thanks for the info on the other players, I am always looking for good players and "real" recommendations for them.

mr don: i have been a long time user of KMPlayer and never once experienced what you said. Can you provide a link where you downloaded it from that installed the ask toolbar.

No fate but what we make

mr don: i have been a long time user of KMPlayer and never once experienced what you said. Can you provide a link where you downloaded it from that installed the ask toolbar.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kmplayer/

Unless they changed it, the 2.9.4.1436 version (the very latest) had the Ask Toolbar included.

I am assuming that you are using the 1435 version or earlier, which is probably why you never had that problem.

Test it & see!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kmplayer/

Unless they changed it, the 2.9.4.1436 version (the very latest) had the Ask Toolbar included.

I am assuming that you are using the 1435 version or earlier, which is probably why you never had that problem.

Test it & see!

I'm "2.9.4.1434" which includes the ask toolbar. Iv never experienced what you said.

I just switch to .1436 and it didnt even ask for a toolbar.

No fate but what we make

I'm "2.9.4.1434" which includes the ask toolbar. Iv never experienced what you said.

I just switch to .1436 and it didnt even ask for a toolbar.

Try reading here: http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14989

Have you checked your IE & FF settings to be sure you do not have the toolbar installed? Additionally, users reported that the ask toolbar sometimes did & sometimes did not ask to be installed. I just know that when I tried it with me, it did install it.

Try completely uninstalling KMP, then installing the new one again. Then again, it is possible they may have fixed that by now. But if you check that link I sent you above, you will see that many others had that issue as well.

This morning after restarting my pc, ask is there. My apologies. They didnt even "ASK" if i wanted it. My previous version gave the option to not include. This is just plain wrong.

If any one has trouble removing ask. First off:

Disable the toolbar in your browser. Go to your profile

C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random string>\extensions

And remove the ask folder

Install revo uninstaller. Dont bother with the programs default uninstaller because it wont actually offer you the option to uninstall. Invoke "ask uninstaller" in revo and just cancel it. Revo will then clear up all its traces.

In firefox (i cant comment on other browsers) type in the url "about:config" and filter "ask.com"

There will be about 5 entrys, you will need to right click and reset these.

No fate but what we make