Copying write-protected dvd

Augeas

• Moderators

I would like to copy a write-protected dvd for my own use (so frequent use/not so gentle handling by others will not damage the original). I use Ashampoo to copy/burn, but this will not copy write-prot disks. Any recommendations? My preference is for lean simple software, such as DVD Shrink on Filehippo.

Oh yeah, free.

PS It seems that in the US, which I am not, it is legal to make copies but not legal to distribute software to do so. I don't know the position in the UK. That possibly explains why the software available seems to have stopped delevopment around 2005.

Try dvddecrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

or any dvd (30 day free trial)

or vlc

http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVDs-with-VLC

You could also use ffmpeg but thats a little harder

I'm not to sure if this is an allowed subject? so forgive me mods if it is not, and il edit my post

No fate but what we make

I'm not sure what you mean by copy write-protected DVDs unless you're referring to region encoded discs??

To read these discs the DVD drive must be set to correct region otherwise the firmware will cause read errors.

It should be noted that you're allowed up to 4 times to change the region before this locks permanently even you re-install Windows.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Stupid mistake. I meant copy copy-protected DVDs. I have used DVD Decrypter with success, on one disk anyway.

The legal position in the UK is unclear (to me). It appears that the European Union Copyright Directive (EUCD) should and probably will be implemented in some form, but is still being wrangled over. When it is law it will apparently become a crime to even discuss methods of copying this stuff, let alone copy a cd to your pc, or copy a disk to use in your car.

I'm not sure about the UK but I know countries like Germany have strict laws regard discussing bypassing technology making such help forums illegal.

As for the original problem I don't know much about copy-protected DVDs this question is probably best asked in http://forum.videohelp.com/ :)

Richard S.

• Moderators

Don't know for sure about the legal position in the UK, but I've always been led to believe making a backup copy for your personal use is OK, so I'll stick with that belief and recommend probably the most up to date DVD "backup" software there is at the moment.

DVDFabHD (free version)

Once set up to "backup" the main movie only, it's a breeze. You can also chop out all unnecessary sound tracks and subtitles.

Check for the correct soundtrack to keep (if there's more than one), by right clicking the preview screen and listen to each one.

Copying/backing up any CD/DVD is illegal in the UK, The law on CD's was changed in 2003 to bring it inline with DVD copyright protection. Sony have brough an action against a UK producer of DVD rip software as a test case.

Other thoughts on the subject are prolific with a Google search here is just one link

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_5465977_cd-dvd...right-laws.html

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

Although on a co.uk site that appears to be an article applying to the USA. I just think that private copying is unclear in the UK, but no doubt the EUCD will be draconian when it's implemented.

• Moderators
Sony have brough an action against a UK producer of DVD rip software as a test case.

If it was my court I'd throw Sony out on their ears. How can a company who manufactured and sold millions of Minidisk "recorders", now complain about that very same thing. Minidisks were designed for one purpose ... to take a full CD's worth of data. And they equipped these machines with digital connections to facilitate the making of "better" copies.

And the fact that they incorporated their version of "Digital Rights Management" into these machines (the ability to make a digital copy of a CD, but impossible to copy the MD copy), is an admission of what they were designed to do.

They've gotten rich in the "backup" business, and now they're crying foul?

It is, and always has been, hypocrisy of the highest order.

• Moderators
Although on a co.uk site that appears to be an article applying to the USA. I just think that private copying is unclear in the UK, but no doubt the EUCD will be draconian when it's implemented.

I've tried reading through this lot today, and I spent quite some time doing it. I can not for the life of me find anywhere in these documents that makes the situation here in the UK, anywhere near clear and defined.

http://www.jenkins.eu/copyright-(statutes)...yright-.asp#s5B

Clear as mud.

Bit mellow dramatic "Just copying one CD or DVD for personal use can make you a criminal under EU directive"

"Even if this is for personal use they theoretically face up to two years in jail or an unlimited fine, and possible civil action from copyright holders."

There is no CPS in the uk who would even try to get a conviction for a couple of burnt DVD, 99.9% of the force would probably not even care.

If i have bought something the law can take a walk if i want to make a backup copy for my self.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
As I said before, it was introduced in 2003 via an EC directive.

We may not like it or agree with it, but for now we are stuck with it.

http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2123616/co...ches-uk-surfers

You know, this is just rubbish. Not your post Mike, the content of that directive you link to.

Indivuals who make a copy of a copyrighted DVD, CD or music file, whether for back-up or for use on another device such as an MP3 player, are committing a crime.

They've done nothing to stop it in the 7 years since that directive, and more importantly, the governing bodies have never made a mention about banning the sale of portable players, which would make more sense, but would pretty much hit big business instead of lowly Joe Public, and we can't have that.

This stuff really p's me off.

You know, this is just rubbish. Not your post Mike, the content of that directive you link to.

They've done nothing to stop it in the 7 years since that directive, and more importantly, the governing bodies have never made a mention about banning the sale of portable players, which would make more sense, but would pretty much hit big business instead of lowly Joe Public, and we can't have that.

This stuff really p's me off.

Try and name anything sensible the EU has issued a directive on :lol:

I saw an article recently that reports even the music industry is asking for a change in the law to simplify the issue! But I'm not going to hold my breath :P

These laws about copying are a farce. I can see making it illegal for those selling and distributing copyright goods, but if have a cd or dvd and want to make several copies (one for each car, one for the gym, one for home, one for the garage, etc....) that should be my perogative. We are pretty liberal in canada so this doesnt affect us yet, but the writing has been on the wall for several years.

I would support a levy on all recorded media...oh wait, we already pay a large one that is supposed to offset that cost..............double dipping by the industry if you ask me.

The law in the UK changed a few years ago to address the legal concerns of ripping audio CDs for mp3 players.

As far as I'm aware copy music CD for private use is legal providing you don't share or re-sell to 3rd parties.

Whether this law applies to DVDs I'm not sure but I guess you could apply the rule for private use as well.

Richard S.

• Moderators
The law in the UK changed a few years ago to address the legal concerns of ripping audio CDs for mp3 players.

As far as I'm aware copy music CD for private use is legal providing you don't share or re-sell to 3rd parties.

Whether this law applies to DVDs I'm not sure but I guess you could apply the rule for private use as well.

Richard S.

That's what I thought although I wasn't sure. The guys they want, and are getting now on a regular basis, are the "car boot" brigade who've been openly selling copied audio and video for a long time.

The hardware they confiscate from these people would make a pretty good car boot sale in this age of recycling. :)

Richard S.

Well, if you had read the previous post you would know this is not the case. Although many still think so.

does it really matter what the case is? If i want to copy a dvd for a back up who in the world can stop me or do anything about it?

No fate but what we make

does it really matter what the case is? If i want to copy a dvd for a back up who in the world can stop me or do anything about it?

This. The laws are so weird everywhere. If I want to make a legit copy so I can protect the original and let the copy get beat up, than I should be able to. If I bought it, I should have some rights of usage other than just playing it.

AJ

• Moderators
This. The laws are so weird everywhere. If I want to make a legit copy so I can protect the original and let the copy get beat up, than I should be able to. If I bought it, I should have some rights of usage other than just playing it.

AJ

Yep, it's called "Fair Use", and looks like it's gonna be adopted in the UK in the near future. It's already part of law in other European countries.

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators

can't see any reason for this ancient thread to stay open

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.