Opera 10.5* glitch

DennisD

• Moderators

The Opera skin is "werwolf shadowguard", which I've stuck with for quite a while now, and it would take something special to make me change.

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8943

It's based on an older skin called "shadowguard":

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=3344

Ok, I get it now, that's a tiny difference...

Well, the tabs and address bar text isn't "Clear Typed" also, right? Oh, I can't identify it, it's really a tiny difference!

Why don't you simply hide this menu bar and use the 10.5+'s "O" button?

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

• Moderators
That skin has serious problems with 10.51. When you open Opera preferences the text is all missing. It's just check boxes so you can't see what your selecting.

I didn't get that far checking the skin.

As soon as I saw the corrupt text, I installed the default skin, as a third party skin problem was my first thought.

That made no difference, so back to 10.10. I like my skin more than I need to update to the latest Opera.

All the same, thanks for the information.

@luik.

You may not be seeing the same thing as me. Different monitors, computers etc, but it's a big difference as the "Clear Type" setting in XP is carried through to the text in browsers.

@luik.

You may not be seeing the same thing as me. Different monitors, computers etc, but it's a big difference as the "Clear Type" setting in XP is carried through to the text in browsers.

Windows Vista / Seven's Clear Type comes enabled as default, maybe it received some improvements and that's why I can't notice this issue.

Opera blew it with 10.50. It was rushed and buggy.

Firefox will be adding separate processes for plugins in the next release and is calling it a minor update. Lets see if they blow it to trying to chase Google chrome.

Opera blew it with 10.50. It was rushed and buggy.

Exactly, but the bugs are going away, I'm using the latest 10.52 snapshots from the Opera Desktop Team blog and I didn't have a single error or crash.

Exactly, but the bugs are going away, I'm using the latest 10.52 snapshots from the Opera Desktop Team blog and I didn't have a single error or crash.

How was the RAM usage? 10.51 has heavy RAM usage.

How was the RAM usage? 10.51 has heavy RAM usage.

It sure does! 10.50/10.51 is flawed in many ways, and heavy RAM usage is just one of them.

I'd also like to know if things have improved in 10.52.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Firefox will be adding separate processes for plugins in the next release and is calling it a minor update. Lets see if they blow it to trying to chase Google chrome.

Who know Opera is already working on this too?

They have a ~13 year old browser so it mustn't be that fast/easy to adapt the window / tabs / MDI /page rendering/ js / plugins structure.

It sure does! 10.50/10.51 is flawed in many ways, and heavy RAM usage is just one of them.

I'd also like to know if things have improved in 10.52.

No one have been talking about RAM problems lately (forums, blog comments, ...) so I think them doesn't exist anymore.

And... opera.exe is 186 MB now here, I olny have this tab opened, you may think this is a lot of usage but:

1. 186 MB is being used because I already opened other pages in other tabs (Facebook, Yahoo! Mail, MyOpera, Twitter, Wikipedia, Youtube) and closed them, but instead of taking off everything from the memory (the cache of these pages), Opera keeps some things on it so you can quick access these websites again (either visiting them again by typing in the address bar or recovering from the "closed tabs" trash can which is very fast).

2. I have 3 GB of RAM so that doesn't matter for me.

3. While I was writing this the memory use of opera.exe decreased to 147 MB.

No one have been talking about RAM problems lately (forums, blog comments, ...) so I think them doesn't exist anymore.

And... opera.exe is 186 MB now here, I olny have this tab opened, you may think this is a lot of usage but:

1. 186 MB is being used because I already opened other pages in other tabs (Facebook, Yahoo! Mail, MyOpera, Twitter, Wikipedia, Youtube) and closed them, but instead of taking off everything from the memory (the cache of these pages), Opera keeps some things on it so you can quick access these websites again (either visiting them again by typing in the address bar or recovering from the "closed tabs" trash can which is very fast).

2. I have 3 GB of RAM so that doesn't matter for me.

3. While I was writing this the memory use of opera.exe decreased to 147 MB.

Well yes that is a lot of RAM usage especially when you consider that 10.10 rarely if ever went over 100 MB for me.

I think to browser developers RAM usage means nothing now. They think people have all kinds of RAM so they just don't consider it. The days of having a browser use 1 GIG of RAM or more are not far off.

I'm afraid Google Chrome is going to destroy what was once a nice choice we had for browsers. Google Chrome has for some reason caught on big. As a result it has gained market share very quickly. This concerns the developers of the other browsers and they feel the need to become more Chrome like. They are making major changes and rushing them out and the result is the what your seeing with Opera 10.5X. Firefox is next when they release their next update and give plugins separate processes. Hopefully it goes well but we will see. Maxthon browser is also making huge charges to Maxthon 3. In the end we will have a bunch of Chrome clones that are all crap.

Chrome gained a big market share because it was made by Google and most people think that web browsers = search engines (search for "what is a web browser?" on Youtube to see it in interviews), Google is the biggest name on Internet (most accessed website / most used search engine) and Chrome ads are everywhere and in some software installers.

Opera haven't copied Chrome's apearence and features: there's a difference between minimalism and ellegance. Mozilla and Maxthon aren't going to copy Chrome visual either. The fact is that the web browsers' UI are becoming smaller to left more space for the webpage the user wants to see, that's all. :)

Opera haven't copied Chrome's appearance and features: there's a difference between minimalism and ellegance. Mozilla and Maxthon aren't going to copy Chrome visual either. The fact is that the web browsers' UI are becoming smaller to left more space for the webpage the user wants to see, that's all. :)

Allow me to point out where they are copying Chrome instead of doing their own thing.

Opera: The first thing you will notice with Opera 10.5x is the removal of the separate title bar. It's now the tab bar just like Chrome. Widgets now run in their own processes and the result is bloat. The big change is the increase in releases and decrease in time between them. This is no doubt done because Chrome updates so often and gives the appearance of being very actively developed which of course it is. Unfortunately for Opera the rapid releases are resulting in a memory hogging bug riddled browser. Opera was always very stable and their releases relatively problem free. Now they go from alpha to beta to release candidate to final in short order.

Firefox: The next release will be with plugins in separate processes. This is due month end. The up coming releases will take it farther adding extensions and tabs in separate processes.

Have you seen the skin for the future release of Firefox? Tabs on top and very Chrome like. Mozilla has also said they will speed up the release cycles greatly and not only that they will start releasing things as minor updates that previously would have been major updates. That sounds like buggy browser to me.

Again done to keep up with Chrome

Maxthon: All kinds of things going on there. Not only are the tabs going on top they are out right switching to the Web Kit rendering engine and separate processes.

Safari: Going to be bringing in separate processes for plugings very shortly. They already tried the tabs on top thing with Safari 4 beta but the Mac crowd flipped out about it and it was dropped in Safari 4 final.

It's very clear they are all considering Chrome the one to follow.There won't be much separating the browsers in the future. Maybe some one will see this and see an opportunity to develop a browser that is completely different. The funny thing is that IE was actually fist with the separate processes for tabs and plugins but it didn't get any attention until chrome started to take off. I find it amusing because I don't believe it's the separate processes or tabs on top or any of that making Chrome popular. It's the very simple, basic, lacking in features UI and the Google name that is making it popular right now.

Ok, that's what you think.

I think Chrome is turning popular just because of the Google name, because Chrome is a perfect clone of Firefox right now: they added themes and extensions, which makes Chrome have the same number of features than Firefox or more (bookmarks synch, etc), so it's not the minimalism that's winning (unless you think in "minimalism" as a word Google used to make their marketing, so people would think it's small and fast).

And... I don't think people does notice the smaller Opera / Chrome UI, unless they had toolbars installed in IE / FF.

• Moderators

As luik points out Anomoly, this is just what you think.

There will always be browser fads, just as there are av fads, and image backup fads. It is the nature of the internet.

Give it a year or two and things will change again.

Always remember it is your choice what you choose, it is your finger on the download or uninstall button.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

As luik points out Anomoly, this is just what you think.

There will always be browser fads, just as there are av fads, and image backup fads. It is the nature of the internet.

Give it a year or two and things will change again.

Always remember it is your choice what you choose, it is your finger on the download or uninstall button.

Are you telling me that you don't see the changes the other browsers are making to be more Chrome like? None of the points I made were what I "think". They are all facts. Tell me one thing that I said that wasn't true.