Loss of free space

roy5051

System Restore points ?

They are long files with random names in C:\System Volume Information\ (system folder)

Are these files OK to delete? I also cannot find the C:\System Information folder, only the C:\System folder.

roy5051-

Hi and welcome to the forums! :)

The C:\System Volume Information will not display in Windows Explorer. It is hidden to prevent changes to your backups.

What Aethec was saying is that when you run Defraggler, some of the fragmented files that are displayed in the 'File List' tab might be long, randomly-named files located in the C:\System Volume Information folder. These files are the backups of your system made by System Restore. You can delete these if you wish, however, you will lose your backup data.

Clearing out your backups is the only way to defragment them. If you wish to do so:

• 1. Turn off System Restore.
    • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
      Click Properties.
      Click the System Restore tab.
      Check Turn off System Restore.
      Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.

Click Properties.
    UN-Check Turn off System Restore.

Of course the pen is mightier than the sword! You know who said that?

The guy with the pen.

roy5051-

Hi and welcome to the forums! :)

The C:\System Volume Information will not display in Windows Explorer. It is hidden to prevent changes to your backups.

What Aethec was saying is that when you run Defraggler, some of the fragmented files that are displayed in the 'File List' tab might be long, randomly-named files located in the C:\System Volume Information folder. These files are the backups of your system made by System Restore. You can delete these if you wish, however, you will lose your backup data.

Clearing out your backups is the only way to defragment them. If you wish to do so:

• 1. Turn off System Restore.
      Click Properties.
      Check Turn off System Restore.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.

Click Properties.
    UN-Check Turn off System Restore.

Thanks, that worked well, I now have recovered some 25GB of used space.

Roy5051- Glad to hear it worked. Just make sure you create a restore point after wiping them... you'll have a clean backup.

Aethec- Je n'ai pas su que vous parlez le fran?ais?! C'est bon. :) Et ma soeur a habit? en Lausanne pour un semestre. C'est un monde petit.

Raison d'?dit: Je ne suis pas intelligent. ;)

Of course the pen is mightier than the sword! You know who said that?

The guy with the pen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a problem too with the free space being used, I had only used 82gb but now has increased to 122.9gb I have only my last system restore point and have no idea where this extra data is coming from, the defrag is not completed yet, but I am worried this free space cannot be retrieved. Help would be amazing, thanks in advance.

I too am experiencing the same problem. I down loaded Defraggler today, and ran it.

Prior to running it I had 150Gb available, and after have 140Gb.

I have been a regular user of CCleaner, and delete system restore points on a daily basis. My first thought after running Defraggler was to delete restore point, but there was only 1 available to delete.

As a result, I feel that Defraggler has used up over 10Gb of disk space. I have not run any other applications since defragging (other than CCleaner and FireFox).

Please advise any other solutions?

Maybe Shadow Copies.

PS : Deleting System Restore Points on a daily basis is a bad idea.

Would it be fair to state the above only applies if one does NOT perform daily backups?

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Would it be fair to state the above only applies if one does NOT perform daily backups?

Backups != System Restore.

System Restore can help you to recover your system.

If you do daily backups and don't mind having to reinstall Windows and all your programs if something (virus, drivers, badly-written program) goes wrong, and you really want free space... you can disable System Restore.

Piriform French translator

Backups != System Restore.

System Restore can help you to recover your system.

If you do daily backups and don't mind having to reinstall Windows and all your programs if something (virus, drivers, badly-written program) goes wrong, and you really want free space... you can disable System Restore.

Point taken Aethec but I do not have to reinstall Windows or apps as I backup daily (Macrium Reflect) drive C system and apps, 40.6GB, backup file is only 33.6GB, last time I had to resort to a restore some 4 months ago, the whole process only took 37 minutes.

However I do retain System Restore on drive C & D on this mission critical PC, why? I really do not know as it has been years since I have used system restore, back-ups preferred. The data drive is a separate physical hard drive (100GB)total 28GB of data which is also backed up daily. Both these back-ups are located on an external 500GB USB HD. As far as free space is concerned down here in AUS. I think HD space is cheap...........e.g. 1.5TB Samsung $139.00, 1TB $120.00

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Well, of course, if you have another hard drive to do a complete disk image, it's even better. Sorry, I didn't think about that when you said "backups".

Piriform French translator