Java Updated !

abu aufa

Hmmm... You guys are right. I've had Java installed for a long time now, but I've never actually needed it other than for occasional web applets. I've uninstalled it now, until I actually need it. :D

Do not confuse Java (RTE) and Java Script. These have nothing in common except the name.

I have both disabled. I do enable Javascript sometimes but I can't remember the last time I enabled Java.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I think I need help understanding the usage of Java.

I have JRE version 6 update 19 installed on my XP system and have always assumed it's needed when I go to websites like here because it needs Java to view the radar loops. (I live in the US midwest and having access to radar looping comes in very handy during tornado season.)

But I'm not sure I understand some of the preceding posts about not having Java installed. Wouldn't that mean one couldn't view the looping demonstrated in that website? Is there some other approach?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

• Moderators
I think I need help understanding the usage of Java.

I have JRE version 6 update 19 installed on my XP system and have always assumed it's needed when I go to websites like here because it needs Java to view the radar loops. (I live in the US midwest and having access to radar looping comes in very handy during tornado season.)

But I'm not sure I understand some of the preceding posts about not having Java installed. Wouldn't that mean one couldn't view the looping demonstrated in that website? Is there some other approach?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

You're right Chris. I can get the maps up but not the radar loops, which I'm assuming are animated.

Java is just a programming platform, and some websites embed Java "Applets" into their pages to provide animated content.

In the couple of years I've surfed without Java, I've only encountered a couple of sites which had content I couldn't see or "use", but there were alternatives to those sites, so I've never been restricted by not having Java.

For example, one of them was a broadband speed check site, which used a Java Applet to animate the upload and download "Dials". All the other similar sites I use, employ Abobe Flash to animate their stuff.

There may be an alternative to that site you link to, which uses "Flash" instead of Java.

An applet is a program written in the Java programming language that can be included in an HTML page, much in the same way an image is included in a page. When you use a Java technology-enabled browser to view a page that contains an applet, the applet's code is transferred to your system and executed by the browser's Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

http://java.sun.com/applets/

You could have a pretty big install on your PC (and one prone to security issues), for just one site.

Hope that helps, although that last sentence may p you off a wee bit.

Dennis,

Thanks for the explanation. It gave me a better understanding of Java and how it works.

As best I recall, there aren't many websites I visit with any frequency that require Java. The one linked in my preceding post is one of the exceptions. But, you're right -- I think our local tv stations have their own websites with animated radar that may not require Java. So other options probably exist. It's something for me to check out.

CC, I wouldn't let the scaremongering bother you. Windows has unpatched security risks nearly every month but do you immediately uninstall Windows? No, you have good security software installed and take the relevant precautions browsing. I sometimes think some of the people on certain forums must be a permanent nervous wreck online scared to click anything for fear the entire universe may suddenly cease to exist :rolleyes:

After 2 weeks, they released updated version Today

Visit http://java.com/en/download/

Release Notes , HERE

quick response to patch from them ;)

Thanks for the info. ;)

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version