Win7 Start Menu "Recently Used" Not Working

Whenever I run CCleaner on my Win7 system, it seems to interfere with its ability to display recently used programs in the Start Menu. I understand that it may clear them out -- I want that -- but it seems that afterwards the Start Menu won't save any new recently used!

I did the registry edit "StartMenuInit=3" which upon reboot sets the Start Menu back to its out-of-box condition but when I run CCleaner again the problem reappears.

I also set up an exception in CCleaner to avoid that key in the registry, but still no solution.

How can I prevent this? Thanks.

Ok, I'll try that but the behavior I am looking for is for CCleaner to clear the "User Assist History" and let it start over again. What I'm seeing is that running CCleaner clears the Start Menu "Recently Used" list but then also seems to prevent anything then being saved in the same list. After running CCleaner I can open a random number of infrequently used programs and none of the icons appear in the Start Menu.

Ok, I'll try that but the behavior I am looking for is for CCleaner to clear the "User Assist History" and let it start over again. What I'm seeing is that running CCleaner clears the Start Menu "Recently Used" list but then also seems to prevent anything then being saved in the same list. After running CCleaner I can open a random number of infrequently used programs and none of the icons appear in the Start Menu.

IIRC, though I'm not sure if its the same in Win7, it requires a reboot before the list starts refilling. It would be the same no matter what program you used if that is the case, it's just how Windows works

IIRC, though I'm not sure if its the same in Win7, it requires a reboot before the list starts refilling. It would be the same no matter what program you used if that is the case, it's just how Windows works

You may be right and I am not in the habit of rebooting after cleaning. I will post back after trying. Thanks!

3/17 Update: After rebooting, all works as expected. Thanks again for the suggestion.

I have encountered a similar problem before, when I was still using Vista and the Recent Items folder is not working after I used a registry cleaner but I was able to fix it by deleting a registry key but if you don't know how to edit the registry, you should not try this first but learn how to do the steps which should be easy to learn. I just don't remember the entire process.

I think, you may have to delete a registry entry. Look at the replies on this link. Although, you are suing Windows 7, it should have almost similar steps as Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-managem...t-updating.html

Be smart to look for solutions at Google like what I did.

http://www.google.com.ph/search?hl=tl&...mp;aql=&oq=

Also try doing this

Start-->Run--> type shell:recent then press ENTER

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.