CCleaner won't open

drbusz

I just installed CCleaner and can't run it. I have Windows Vista 32 bit Service Pack 1. I was able to perform cleanup from the website immediately upon installing. But when I go to the shortcut on my desktop and attempt to open it, it doesn't do anything. Any suggestions?

Try deleting the shortcut and recreate it. Delete the CCleaner desktop shortcut and look for CCleaner on the Start menu and once you see its launcher in the Start Menu, right click it and click Send to and click Desktop, that should create a new desktop shortcut of CCleaner.

If that does not work, try uninstalling CCleaner, then install it again and make sure that during the installation process, the "Create Desktop shortcut" option must be checked.

What I suspect might have happened is that, you decided to install the latest version of CCleaner and during the installation process, you might have the "Create Desktop Shortcut" option unchecked making the old shortcut basically invalid but I'm not really sure of this scenario because you only said that nothing happens when you click the desktop shortcut and how exactly this does not do anything is unknown to me.

So maybe a little more detail please.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

What I suspect might have happened is that, you decided to install the latest version of CCleaner and during the installation process, you might have the "Create Desktop Shortcut" option unchecked making the old shortcut basically invalid but I'm not really sure of this scenario because you only said that nothing happens when you click the desktop shortcut and how exactly this does not do anything is unknown to me.

The CCleaner exe location doesn't change between versions. If you leave the shortcut option unchecked in a subsequent update the old one won't be removed and it will still work correctly.