The obligatory Tales From Topographic Oceans thread

Corona

There are three Yes albums that anyone from my ancient space/time continuum must own and they are Close To The Edge, Tales, and Relayer. Close To The Edge is actually pretty listenable on CD. I can tolerate it. It's R&R edgy enough to fake it sound-wise on CD. But Tales and Relayer on CD are death by a thousand papercuts. Must...have...vinyl! So I ordered Tales on vinyl from England from one of you blokes, prolly not you personally though, and am anticipating its arrival any day now. And, in its anticipation I checked out my stored turntable and found out it needs a new drive belt (a $17 rubberband that disintegrates if stored in a cardboard box for 3 months.) So I ordered 2 of them as well. Now I'm all mailbox-aware. If this works out without me banging my head against a wall I will quickly order Relayer as well. I haven't heard those albums on vinyl since the early 80s.

• Moderators

Okay I'll post then :)

I am really hoping that the journey to the US by this piece of vinyl is successful. In my mind's eye I can see the mail sacks being thrown (forcefully) into the air cargo hold. I am hoping in your case that the record has been well packed and arrives safely :ph34r:

Let us know, and the time it took to reach you.

Then... how does it sound?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I had a mate who was into Yes at school back in the 70s ... I was more into Floyd / Genesis :)

But although I've still got a stack of vinyl in the attic somewhere, I haven't had a turntable since an ex got custody of my Pioneer kit about 15 years ago ;)

• Moderators

I occasionally have a traipse around all the charity shops in Sunderland and Newcastle here in the NE of England, and I collect good old vinyl LP's which I usually pay about 50p each for.

So I've a decent collection of LP's now and all I need is a deck to play them on, as I sold mine a long time ago. I've been promising myself a replacement for a few years now, but never seem to get around to it.

The pride of my vinyl collection is a double album called "The Pentateuch Of The Cosmogany" by Dave Greenslade and Patrick Woodroffe, which came in a hardbound picture cover with integral 48-page book, featuring a beautifully illustrated story.

I paid ?9 for this album in 1979. Man, that was a lot of money for an album back then.

http://www.patrickwoodroffe-world.com/penta.htm

Also a Floyd man, and a big fan of Roger Waters.

I only have a few vinyls nowadays. I do have a Dark Side Of The Moon 'master recording' vinyl I bought 2 decades ago, in very good condition. Incredible sound.

You know what was a fun album? "Consequences" by Godley & Creme. :lol: "L" was pretty good too.

Hazelnut, I think they're packed/boxed in hard styrofoam. I'll let you know when it arrives and get my stereo set up.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the LPs today. US cover, German vinyl. Weird. I looked at the vinyls and they looked in very good condition. I have to reconstruct my stereo system before I can enjoy this. But I'll have fun doing it.

Hey, remember Disc Cleaner?

• 2 weeks later...

Do I know how to procrastinate or what! :lol:

Finally set up my turntable, amp and speakers today. Tales is in very good condition and sounds like I almost remember it. I forgot quite a few sounds that aren't on the CDs. And I notice with vinyl the volume increases and decreases more than the remixing on CDs.

Beer time! :D

(Crummy phone camera, sorry for the blurriness.)

Here's the record label, a German manufacturer.

th_label.png

th_st.png

2 small speakers on top of 2 larger speakers. It helps.

Interesting read, Hazel. But I can't agree with them saying that later remixing onto digital format made their sound better. That's why I bought the vinyl again in the first place. :blink:

It's true, they jumped from pop music covers into lotus position pretty quickly, but that was just part of "making a niche". Quite a big niche they filled. The biggees were Zeppelin, Floyd, Tull & Yes. And the egos in those bands rivaled any Hollywood producers'.

Here it is April 9 and I got Relayer in the mail today. 2 weeks faster than Tales (different seller). Great condition, played very well. Nice to hear stuff again I forgot about. Right now I'm re-playing Olias of Sunhillow. It's like where To Be Over left off.