Screenshot of partition table!

slowday444

Looks to me like the D partition is at the start of the drive which is where your OS partition should be (as it's the faster part of the drive). Also the pagefile is showing as on the D partition and this should be on the OS partition, not a separate partition.

Looks to me like the D partition is at the start of the drive which is where your OS partition should be (as it's the faster part of the drive). Also the pagefile is showing as on the D partition and this should be on the OS partition, not a separate partition.

I've always wondered: How does placing the pagefile on a separate partition affect performance? I understand the pagefile concept, but does having it on a separate location make a significant difference?

Of course the pen is mightier than the sword! You know who said that?

The guy with the pen.

I've always wondered: How does placing the pagefile on a separate partition affect performance? I understand the pagefile concept, but does having it on a separate location make a significant difference?

Only if it's on a separate physical drive I would imagine; allowing concurrent disk activity.

The part about this that has me puzzled is how the heck did the D get ahead of the C? In searching this phenomena I've seen some screenshots of other Vista systems congigured this way. I have no idea if it has always been that way or not since I never payed attention before.

The part about this that has me puzzled is how the heck did the D get ahead of the C? In searching this phenomena I've seen some screenshots of other Vista systems congigured this way. I have no idea if it has always been that way or not since I never payed attention before.

It's pretty unlikely this would have happened without you noticing, much less without you making that choice. Have you done any repartitioning, or had cause to move the page file? What do you use the D drive for ... it can't all be page file surely (the Pagefile description in your screen shot seems a bit odd - or is that a Vista thing)?

It's pretty unlikely this would have happened without you noticing, much less without you making that choice. Have you done any repartitioning, or had cause to move the page file? What do you use the D drive for ... it can't all be page file surely (the Pagefile description in your screen shot seems a bit odd - or is that a Vista thing)?

The only thing out of the ordinary I've ever done is one time I restored the system with Paragon Backup using DVDs I'd made. Everything runs fine, I just find it kind of strange.

The only thing out of the ordinary I've ever done is one time I restored the system with Paragon Backup using DVDs I'd made. Everything runs fine, I just find it kind of strange.

It would run better if you could move the C partition to the front, most partitioning programs should be able to handle that. Also move the pagefile to the OS partition, there are simple instructions for that here:

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/m...as-paging-file/

Yes it should run faster BUT.................if it ain't broke.................you know the saying.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Looks like a lot of unallocated space. You can create a small partition with that. Or maybe shrink the two other partitions and make a third partition out of the unallocated space with sufficient size.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.