Changed MS Outlook Settings with 2.28 and 2.29

MRG7

I have reverted to version 2.27 after finding that both versions 2.28 and 2.29 changed my settings in Microsoft Outlook (Toolbars, Zoom and Show Paragraph Marks plus a couple of checkboxes under Tools > Options > Edit tab) when run with Outlook closed (it doesn't happen if it is run with Outlook open). I have tried entering the files cleaned in Options > Exclude, but this didn't seem to make any difference. I am using Windows XP and Windows 2003 (and Mozilla Firefox).

Has anyone else experienced the same or can anybody help as I prefer to use the latest versions?

• Moderators
I have tried entering the files cleaned in Options > Exclude, but this didn't seem to make any difference. I am using Windows XP and Windows 2003 (and Mozilla Firefox).

Has anyone else experienced the same or can anybody help as I prefer to use the latest versions?

Just to be clear do you mean windows xp and Office (outlook) 2003?

Are you running just the cleaner section? or the registry section? Is Office 2003 checked off? can you post your ccleaner.ini (sanitizes User name if you wish but other than that leave it untouched)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Just to be clear do you mean windows xp and Office (outlook) 2003?

Are you running just the cleaner section? or the registry section? Is Office 2003 checked off? can you post your ccleaner.ini (sanitizes User name if you wish but other than that leave it untouched)

Thank you for your reply

Yes, sorry, it is Office (Outlook) 2003 and yes, I am just talking about the Cleaner section. I do use the Registry section as well, but it is not responsible for this problem as it happens even when I don't clean the registry.

I'm not sure what you mean by CCleaner.ini. If you tell me how to find it I will gladly post it for you.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your reply

Yes, sorry, it is Office (Outlook) 2003 and yes, I am just talking about the Cleaner section. I do use the Registry section as well, but it is not responsible for this problem as it happens even when I don't clean the registry.

I'm not sure what you mean by CCleaner.ini. If you tell me how to find it I will gladly post it for you.

UPDATE: Version 2.30

I have just downloaded version 2.30 and the same problem as above still exists. Specifically, the changes made in MS Outlook 2003 after running CCleaner are:

Removes Standard and Formatting Toolbars

Adds E-mail Toolbar

Hides Paragraph Marks

Sets Zoom to 125% (from 100%)

In Tools > Options > Edit tab - ticks Checkboxes for "Use CTRL + click to follow hyperlink" and "When selecting, automatically select entire word"

Does anybody else experience the same problem and can any one suggest a fix or am I destined to have to use version 2.27 for ever?

• Moderators

go to OPtions>Advanced put a checkmark in save all settings to ini

exit ccleaner

open the ccleaner folder

you'll see a file ccleaner.ini

open it in notepad

and copy the contents to this thread (in code tags)

from there we should be able to look at it and see what's up or at least where to start

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

go to OPtions>Advanced put a checkmark in save all settings to ini

exit ccleaner

open the ccleaner folder

you'll see a file ccleaner.ini

open it in notepad

and copy the contents to this thread (in code tags)

from there we should be able to look at it and see what's up or at least where to start

Thanks for the instructions Nergal. As requested:

[Options]
(App)Empty Recycle Bin=False
(App)Wipe Free Space=False
BackupDir=C:\Documents and Settings\MRG7\My Documents\Registry Backup
CookiesToSave=acronis.com|amazon.co.uk|answers.yahoo.com|britannica.com|dell.com
|delluk.myway.com|earth.google.co.uk|earth.google.com|earth.google.com/userguide|euro.dell.com|europe.nokia.com|facebook.com|hotmail.msn.com|identity.v
irginmedia.com|live.com|login.live.com|login.yahoo.com|mail.yahoo.com|my.virginm
e
dia.com|my.yahoo.com|ocado.com|office.microsoft.com|pctools.com|rad.live.com|sky
p
e.com|tiscali.co.uk|uk.answers.yahoo.com|uk.mg40.mail.yahoo.com|uk.mg41.mail.yah
o
o.com|uk.yahoo.com|update.microsoft.com|virginmedia.com|webmail.ntlworld.com|www
britishgas.co.uk|www.virginmedia.com|www.virgintrainsfares.co.uk|yahoo.com
Language=1033
MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False
SecureDeleteMethod=2
SecureDeleteType=1
UpdateKey=03/30/2010 06:26:43 AM
WINDOW_HEIGHT=726
WINDOW_LEFT=172
WINDOW_MAX=0
WINDOW_TOP=24
WINDOW_WIDTH=1051

It doesn't seem to contain anything that could be causing the trouble, but I hope it tells you what you need to know. Did I mention that the problem doesn't occur if Outlook is left open while CCleaner is run, but this is obviously not ideal.

Thanks again for any help you can give me

• Moderators

I'm testing the office 2003 entry, it's definitly that entry

if you uncheck it, you'll find that the setting stay (if they don't let me know asap)

however there are 21 regkeys it is cleaning and I'm having a bit of trouble finding the exact one that is doing it (whenever I think I've found it, it isn't the one)

once I have found it you can tell ccleaner to exclude that key in options>exclude

• Moderators

ARRRRGGGGG

it's almost as if it happens at random !!!!

[Office 2003]
ID=2048
LangSecRef=3021
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common
Default=True
FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office Word\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Recent Files
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\PowerPoint\Recent File List
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Publisher\Recent File List
RegKey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\InfoPath\Recent File List
RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet\Server Cache
RegKey7=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Internet|UseRWHlinkNavigation
RegKey8=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSPaper 11.0\Persist File Name
RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSPaper 11.0\Recent File List
RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings
RegKey11=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile1
RegKey12=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile2
RegKey13=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile3
RegKey14=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile4
RegKey15=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile5
RegKey16=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile6
RegKey17=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile7
RegKey18=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Application|LastFile8
RegKey19=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Contact|QuickFindMRU
RegKey20=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Contact|StripSearchMRU
RegKey21=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences|LocationMRU

Can someone else make a winapp1.ini and work on this I'm way behind at work :( and have been at this all day :(

If I recall correctly, in Office 2003, some Outlook and Word settings are stored in the same registry key. Try protecting RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings

Thanks Glenn.

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it made no difference.

I don’t know if it’s significant, but when I tried to enter the key in Options > Exclude > Registry Key > Browse, the OK button was greyed out if I entered anything after “Data”, so the key excluded is HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data.

Have I done it right?

The other thing is, do you know where these changed settings come from? I’m pretty sure Normal.dot doesn’t have any of these settings.

Update

I tried to amend the Exclude entry by altering it in the ccleaner.ini file. I used “|” between Data and Settings as per your post, but this appeared as “DataSettings” in CCleaner > Exclude so I also tried Data\Settings. However, neither version made any difference and Outlook was changed the same as before.

Any other suggestions?

It's been years since I worked on this problem but, if I recall correctly, Word and Outlook are connected because in Outlook you have Tools > Options > Mail Format > "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages" as an option. I'm not sure if this has to be enabled to connect the two apps but looking at a user who does, I see keys and values such as:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|ToolbarsWordMail

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options\OutlookEditor

I also vaguely remember that HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data|Settings appeared to be involved.

Instead of using the CCleaner "Exclude" method, I used a modified winapp.ini file with RegKey10=HKCU deactivated.

Since the winapp.ini doesn't seem to have changed any code for Office 2003, I don't know why the newer versions would behave differently. The only thing I can think of is that the newer versions have code related to the Office 2007 Compatibility add-in.

Thanks for the additional info, Glenn.

I do have the Office 2007 Compatibility add-in ? do you think this could be the source of the problem and if so, could you or one of the Piriform people suggest a fix?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE Version 2.32

Unfortunately this annoying little problem remains.

I must be the only one suffering from this as all assistance seems to have dried up.

It must be a program issue as it happens with each revision, yet version 2.27 works perfectly.

Won't the Piriform boys (or girls) take up the challenge and come to my rescue?

Thank you in anticipation.

I think I have found the solution for this problem. There's a small but important difference between CC v2.27 and higher versions. The following lines are the original ones from v2.27.

[Office 2003]

Regkey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\PowerPoint\Recent File List

Regkey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Publisher\Recent File List

Regkey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\InfoPath\Recent File List

In versions v2.28 and higher the bold letters k were changed to K and that could be the reason why CC started wiping in those versions as described by MRG7 in this thread. So, anyone who doesn't want these settings to be wiped should write his/her own Winapp2.ini entry without one or more of these three lines. (See also post#8 by Nergal).

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Wow ! That sounds wonderful and amazing that you spotted it.

The only problem is I don?t know how to create a Winapp2.ini entry. Can you explain to me?

Thank you very much

If there's a file in the application folder where CC is installed, called ""Winapp2.ini"" then you must add info to it. If it doesn't exist then create a new file. Use a simple text editor, e.g. Notepad. Just copy the info from the attachment to that file. Change ""[Office 2003]"" to e.g. ""[*Office 2003 MRG7]"" (to distinguish it from the regular Office 2003 entry).

Now you must find out which one of the lines, as mentioned above in my previous post, is causing your settings to be wiped. Omit one or more of these ""RegKey...=...."" lines. It's a matter of trial and error. See also post #8.

Thank you for the instructions and attachment.

Just to be sure, can you confirm:

1. My CCleaner folder is in C:\Program Files, not C:\Documents and Settings\MRG7\Application Data. Is this correct?

2. Do I create Winapp2.ini inside the CCleaner folder or in Program Files?

3. Do I name the file Winapp2.ini or Office 2003 MRG7?

Name the file Winapp2.ini and store it in the folder where CCleaner.exe was installed. You selected that folder when you installed CC. Change inside Winapp2.ini the line [Office 2003] to e.g. [*Office 2003 MRG7] and that last text should show up besides a new box in the ""Application"" pane of CC.

Thank you Willy2

I followed your instructions, but no new box appeared in the Application pane of CCleaner. What have I done wrong?

There is a Configuration Settings file named ccleaner.ini inside the CCleaner folder. Could this be used instead of Winapp2.ini?

First do carefully read this webpage for clues what has gone wrong.

http://docs.piriform...leaner-to-clean

When you have followed all the instructions on that page, and it still doesn't work then post your modified Office 2003 entry for ""Winapp2.ini"" in this thread and I'll have a look at it.

No, don't add that info to ""Ccleaner.ini"".

The only problem I can see is that the LangSecRef value of 3021 does not appear in the list of options on the How To document you referred me to. However, as that value came from your Office 2003 attachment, I assume it is correct.

I have tried both 2.27 and 2.32 and no new box appeared in the Application pane for either. Here is winapp2.ini for you to have a look at.

Thanks for your time.

Office 2003 (CCleaner).txt

• Moderators

Ok a few reasons why Wiley's file may not be showing up/changing anything.

1) As far as I can tell, it is IDENTICAL to what is already inbuilt into CCLeaner; which I posted above. The thing I posted above was NOT an edit of CCLeaners settings it is ccleaners settings I posted for someone to make a winapp1.ini (which replaces all programs which ccleaner cleans with only that which is listed in winapp1) and to edit each setting out til the issue was found.

2) It contains no * infront of the name and no other way to diferenciate it from the original office 2003 setting.

LangSecRef value of 3021
refers to the commented heading in Winapp2

; LangSecRef
;  3021 = Applications
;  3022 = Internet
;  3023 = Multimedia
;  3024 = Utilities
;  3025 = Windows

it just tells ccleaner to place office 2003 in the Applications section in Applications tab, if it said LangSecRef 3023 it would be under the Multimedia Heading if it had no LangSecRef at all it would not be listed under a heading and would just float at the bottom.

Did you rename the text file as winapp2.ini when you put it into the ccleaner folder? it seems to me that you did not. do your files show the last three letters (i.e. "{filename}.txt") if not what you did may have been renamed the file as "winapp2.ini.txt." Please make sure this is set correctly

Thank you Nergal, but in fact the reason it wasn?t working was because the winapp2 file was placed in Program Files, not the CCleaner folder. As soon as I placed it in the CCleaner folder it worked properly.

I tried Willy2?s suggestion from post #15 of changing the upper case K?s in RegKey to lower case, but the problem continued. For anyone else encountering the same problem, the solution is:

1. Start > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > CCleaner

2. Right-click any free space and click New > Text Document

3. Open the document and click File > Save As and name it winapp2.ini to create a Configuration Settings file

4. Copy the contents of Willy2?s Office 2003 attachment in post #17 and paste into winapp2.ini

5. Change the first line to [Office 2003 (Modified)]

6. Delete: RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\PowerPoint\Recent File List

7. Open CCleaner program and in the Application pane, untick the box next to Office 2003

I can now use version 2.32 without altering the settings in Outlook (and Word). Wonderful !

Thank you all for your assistance, especially Willy2. You?re a star !

Thank you !

It proves that you can't rely on Microsoft for the full 100%. Who would have guessed that those settings were stored under ""Powerpoint"". It seems that starting in v2.28 or in a higher version, CC made no longer a distinction between lower and upper case letters in the *.ini files.