SPECCY as Standalone

al fon

What do you mean by standalone?? when speccy is installed it exists as a single executable in c:\program files\speccy

I think he means just a standalone exe like the first version was. You can't use it fully if you don't have admin rights to install.

Yes I would agree with al fon's statement. Along with Defraggler and Recuva. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

To reiterate, the portable versions of these products are standalone.

Ok marmite I've tried the portable versions of Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy on my computer at work and you still need admin rights to use them. I'm afraid you're suggestion doesn't work these aren't standalone, we still need proper standalone versions of these apps. ;)

Once again, the portable versions are standalone applications. The user privileges that are required to run them is a different matter entirely.

Whatever it is that you want, it's not defined by the term "standalone application". Are you asking for "applications that run under an ordinary user account"? ... because that's not the same thing.

I've not tried to run any Piriform app as an ordinary user so I'm not sure what their individual requirements are. If you're running on a work PC is there a domain GPO (group policy) in place that restricts what you can do?

... computer at work and you still need admin rights to use them.

... you had better review your work policies about third party applications.

Just cause its "standalone" it doesn't really circumvent "NO Installing Software" rules.

You don't want to get yourself fired like this guy:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...54&hl=fired

fireryone

... you had better review your work policies about third party applications.

Just cause its "standalone" it doesn't really circumvent "NO Installing Software" rules.

You don't want to get yourself fired like this guy:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...54&hl=fired

Yes I've read that topic fireryone but where I work some computers can install what they want too and some can't. CCleaner will run a a standalone why can't the other apps? None of them do any particular damage. Defraggler just defrags a particular drive. Recuva just recovers deleted files. What is so sinister about those?

Its actually al fon thats asking about standalone and he hasn't been back since. ;)

Yes I've read that topic fireryone but where I work some computers can install what they want too and some can't.

It's not a question of 'what the computer can do', but what level of access the particular user has.

CCleaner will run a a standalone why can't the other apps? None of them do any particular damage. Defraggler just defrags a particular drive. Recuva just recovers deleted files. What is so sinister about those?

For the nth time, whether an application requires admin privileges has no bearing on whether it is generally classed as standalone.

Some applications must be run with certain privilege level because Windows requires that in order to be able to carry out certain tasks. Some applications are written that way because it is deemed that the actions they are performing are administrative tasks and should not be carried out by someone who doesn't have administrative access to the machine.

I'm not sure about Defraggler's requirements. But if you could run Recuva without admin rights then that would give you access to areas of the drive which, as a limited user, you should not have access to.

Its actually al fon thats asking about standalone and he hasn't been back since. ;)

Maybe al fon was content with the answer to the original question - there are standalone versions of all Piriform products ;)