Defraggler VS Windows defrag

Youngbear

:rolleyes: Hello Folks!

I have not yet downloaded Defraggler. I am not a sophisticated computer user - I would say "intermediate" in my knowledge level.

Would someone out there give me the pros and cons of using Defraggler instead of the Windows defrag that came bundled with my system? My system currently takes 90 minutes to 2 hours to defrag using the Windows defrag. I have Vista/Home Premium/32. I am very pleased with my current system performance, but always looking for an improvement!

Thank you for your time,

YB

Well if nothing else its more graphical than the Windows defrag rather than just colours lines. Plus you get a list of files that need defragging and a good countdown when its done.

The only thing I don't like about Defragger is it shows the drive map with the coloured blocks and the red ones need defragging. After its finished there are loads of red blocks left. To me thats saying it still needs defragging. The other thing is it doesn't move all files up to the front of the drive as all WinNT systems do, its still like a cullendar. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

Well if nothing else its more graphical than the Windows defrag rather than just colours lines. Plus you get a list of files that need defragging and a good countdown when its done.

The only thing I don't like about Defragger is it shows the drive map with the coloured blocks and the red ones need defragging. After its finished there are loads of red blocks left. To me thats saying it still needs defragging. The other thing is it doesn't move all files up to the front of the drive as all WinNT systems do, its still like a cullendar. ;)

Hello, Lucky!

Thank you for your consice answer. Your comments about the left-over red blocks and the fact that the program does not move the files up to the front is information for me to consider before I download; it sounds like the Windows system defrag is still my best bet at this time. I was searching around because as you may know, sometime ago Windows redesigned their defrag program and took away the ability for end users to set certain parameters within the program. I am a creature of habit and was used to setting those parameters myself - it comes down to a trust issue with something I can no longer see or control. ;)

Your friend,

YB

Hello, Lucky!

Thank you for your consice answer. Your comments about the left-over red blocks and the fact that the program does not move the files up to the front is information for me to consider before I download; it sounds like the Windows system defrag is still my best bet at this time. I was searching around because as you may know, sometime ago Windows redesigned their defrag program and took away the ability for end users to set certain parameters within the program. I am a creature of habit and was used to setting those parameters myself - it comes down to a trust issue with something I can no longer see or control. ;)

Your friend,

YB

The command-line Windows defrag has a lot of parameters ;)

Piriform French translator

The biggest advantage of Defraggler over Windows Vista is you can actually see what's going on. Vista has a lot of defrag issues that aren't there in XP but you'll have those no matter what defragger you use; at least with Defraggler you can see the action. The Vista defragger is mainly designed to defrag behind the scenes. A lot of people like that, but I don't think it really defrags very well unless you use the command prompt.

I've tried all the free defraggers and a few of the commercial ones and for a free defragger you just can't beat Defraggler. Some of the paid defraggers are more powerful but they're too complicated for my liking. Defraggler doesn't have "optimize" but in my experience it optimizes as good or better as any of the others all by itself. When I run it my system is snappier, and after all the proof of the pudding is in the eating. :)

The biggest advantage of Defraggler over Windows Vista is you can actually see what's going on. Vista has a lot of defrag issues that aren't there in XP but you'll have those no matter what defragger you use; at least with Defraggler you can see the action. The Vista defragger is mainly designed to defrag behind the scenes. A lot of people like that, but I don't think it really defrags very well unless you use the command prompt.

I've tried all the free defraggers and a few of the commercial ones and for a free defragger you just can't beat Defraggler. Some of the paid defraggers are more powerful but they're too complicated for my liking. Defraggler doesn't have "optimize" but in my experience it optimizes as good or better as any of the others all by itself. When I run it my system is snappier, and after all the proof of the pudding is in the eating. :)

:rolleyes: Thanks for your input Norel! I have now heard twice that I can access Windows Defrag via the command line. I don't know what that means or how to do that. I simply click the icon. I am very simple minded though I can follow instructions if someone gives me them. I understand that at the command line I can set the parameters of my drfrag program - which is what I am after, so that I can make a meaningful comparrison between Defraggler and Win Defrag.

Again,

Thank you!

YB