Trivial Detail

Donald E. Smith

You can follow the run-a-round given when reporting this as a bug, if you like to waste your time?

Otherwise, CCleaner determines to add the Google Toolbar to it's Applications\Internet list from detecting the presents of this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\NavClient]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1\Options]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1\Options\CustomSearch]

"HKCU_GoogleEarth"=dword:00000001

The removal of which removes the Google Toolbar from the list. An empty key HKLM\Software\Google\NavClient\ was present as well, this most probably being added by the installation of CCleaner? As no other Google apps are installed on a computer that contained this key after installing CCleaner. It's removal prior to the HKCU key had no affect on the list. (Or the starting of Google Earth which is installed on that computer.)

For what it's worth.

DES

You already started a discussion here. Did you follow my latest tips for you there???

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=26792

OK, if these key cannot be removed but its not making significant effect to your computer speed, there are few reasons why you should worry about getting rid of this Google Toolbar Key. You do not have to religiously try to remove keys in the registry that you think is invalid.

The reason for this I think is that the toolbar actually came with your CCleaner installer and its registry component has been attached there as well and could be irremovable as long as CCleaner is also installed.

You can also do a virus scan, there is a possibility that this could be part of a malware that has infected the registry if it has been there for unknown reasons.

I hope you get a Happy Valentine's Day. Good luck.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

You simply had to remove the key CCleaner uses to detect Google toolbar is installed:

HKCU\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1

This is not a fault of CCleaner but of the toolbar for not uninstalling fully and does happen with some programs.

For future reference the easiest way to find this out is to download the embedded ini files from this thread which is updated with the current ini files with each CCleaner update. You can then find the code used for the program you are after and it will list the detect key.

You simply had to remove the key CCleaner uses to detect Google toolbar is installed:

HKCU\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1

This is not a fault of CCleaner but of the toolbar for not uninstalling fully and does happen with some programs.

For future reference the easiest way to find this out is to download the embedded ini files from this thread which is updated with the current ini files with each CCleaner update. You can then find the code used for the program you are after and it will list the detect key.

And Thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I was after (and implied) here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=26792

But apparently didn't get the message across?

It was obvious these toolbar list entries are detected from a registry entry, just which, when removing the actual \Google\Toolbar\ key didn't get it and other Google stuff was installed. I had to find it by trial and error! I'll get a hold of these embedded .ini's for future reference.

DES

I'll get a hold of these embedded .ini's for future reference.

Or perhaps use an install tracking program when you install stuff such as ZSoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstaller and or a program that gives a more thorough uninstall without tracking the initial install such as Revo Uninstaller.

I actually use Total uninstall AND Revo. I track the install with Total Uninstall then when uninstalling use Revo followed by Total Uninstall.

(PS I'm not suggesting Total Uninstall is a better tracker than Zsoft, I actually suspect it isn't, it's just what I'm used to using and have so many installs already tracked with it I couldn't get rid of Total Uninstall now anyway)

Or perhaps use an install tracking program when you install stuff such as ZSoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstaller and or a program that gives a more thorough uninstall without tracking the initial install such as Revo Uninstaller.

I actually use Total uninstall AND Revo. I track the install with Total Uninstall then when uninstalling use Revo followed by Total Uninstall.

(PS I'm not suggesting Total Uninstall is a better tracker than Zsoft, I actually suspect it isn't, it's just what I'm used to using and have so many installs already tracked with it I couldn't get rid of Total Uninstall now anyway)

Hummm, I actually have Revo (and the ZSoft Uninstaller) installed here on this XP machine but just haven't got in the habit of using it. It sounded like scanning the entire drive for changes was going to be larger than the left overs? I'm trying to follow a "don't put anything on you ain't gonna keep" philosophy. But that's impossible, as along comes CCleaner, and now I'm looking at all the other Piriform stuff for Windows 7 (can't see what that built-in defragger is doing). But the old manual hunt & peck cleanup method can't be too bad. Having just retired an 11 year old W98 machine still running the original Dell installation. Only because too may core apps were dead ended on old versions (and... it was pretty damn slow, relatively speaking)!

DES

I find myself installing and uninstalling applications daily.

For example something like defraggler. i dont use it weekly. Or monthly. so only install it whne i want to use it then uninstall.

"I'm trying to follow a "don't put anything on you ain't gonna keep" philosophy"

No fate but what we make

I find myself installing and uninstalling applications daily.

For example something like defraggler. i dont use it weekly. Or monthly. so only install it whne i want to use it then uninstall.

"I'm trying to follow a "don't put anything on you ain't gonna keep" philosophy"

Yes, I''m a bit conservative when it comes to hard disk space too even if its only a quarter full.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.