latest version shows up 93 registry entries bad..... Attention Piriform

chevysales

hi all first post but been using ccleaner for well over a year or two.....anyhow clean install of puget system build vista ultimate 64 bit.

i always back up registry cleanup and put files in a folder but i have never had to use one as after going thru XP home on previous computer and vista 64 now and the 5 or so other computers i ran the registry cleaner on again i say never an issue.

always update to new version when it comes out.

so i ran reg cleaner yesterday with previous version.... got new one today and ran first the cleaner with no problem... and then ran registry cleaner which came up with 93 entries some of which were in other cleanups done like 2 weeks ago after i did clean install. most were reg keys pointing to downloads to desktop, start menu, older files used to update some software etc.

my question is what the heck is up?????

why did a new version find somethings previous version hadn't? i never had this experience before and i am quite computer literate or like to think i am ;)

i have uploaded the reg file if it helps at all but either way pretty weird.

i changed it to a text file and uploaded it but it seems to have lost its formatting.

cc_20100202_121753.txt

hi all first post but been using ccleaner for well over a year or two.....anyhow clean install of puget system build vista ultimate 64 bit.

i always back up registry cleanup and put files in a folder but i have never had to use one as after going thru XP home on previous computer and vista 64 now and the 5 or so other computers i ran the registry cleaner on again i say never an issue.

always update to new version when it comes out.

so i ran reg cleaner yesterday with previous version.... got new one today and ran first the cleaner with no problem... and then ran registry cleaner which came up with 93 entries some of which were in other cleanups done like 2 weeks ago after i did clean install. most were reg keys pointing to downloads to desktop, start menu, older files used to update some software etc.

my question is what the heck is up?????

why did a new version find somethings previous version hadn't? i never had this experience before and i am quite computer literate or like to think i am ;)

i have uploaded the reg file if it helps at all but either way pretty weird.

i changed it to a text file and uploaded it but it seems to have lost its formatting.

please disregard as after reading change log i see:

"Improved MUI cache cleaning for Vista and Windows 7."

and most of the keys were just that.

If it linked to your desktop, or start menu, it could possibly link to obsolete shortcuts and stuff. Also, files that are no longer there but still listed in the recent items on the start menu tend to appear as obsolete stuff so if you have opened files from a USB for instance, they should still appear in the recent items list on the start menu even if you have already unplugged the USB. I would recommend you to use the cleaner tool of CCleaner first to get rid of this stuff then use the the registry cleaner function.

Invalid desktop shortcuts can also come when you uninstalled a few apps but then their desktop icons still remain, those would cause more issues.

And the latest update also made registry cleaning a little better. If you are not the only one using that PC, someone else could have done something in your computer that has made those registry errors.

But I guess, you always make a backup anyway. If they are not related to anything serious, they should be safe to fix.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

If it linked to your desktop, or start menu, it could possibly link to obsolete shortcuts and stuff. Also, files that are no longer there but still listed in the recent items on the start menu tend to appear as obsolete stuff so if you have opened files from a USB for instance, they should still appear in the recent items list on the start menu even if you have already unplugged the USB. I would recommend you to use the cleaner tool of CCleaner first to get rid of this stuff then use the the registry cleaner function.

Invalid desktop shortcuts can also come when you uninstalled a few apps but then their desktop icons still remain, those would cause more issues.

And the latest update also made registry cleaning a little better. If you are not the only one using that PC, someone else could have done something in your computer that has made those registry errors.

But I guess, you always make a backup anyway. If they are not related to anything serious, they should be safe to fix.

only one on this box as i use it for my photography and audio.

don't have "list recent items" checked on start menu.

on removal of most items i clean up manually anything left behind thats why i was so suprised previuos version did not pick them up and was the reason for my posts as 99% of what was listed in text file i uploaded had gone through no less then 10-15 registry cleanings as i run it often.

they definetly changed new version to either look in different areas on windows 7 64 bit and vista 64 bit as thats way too many items to show up. so i will write it off as just that since al is working well and i have backups.