Alternative to Microsoft Office XP Publisher

tommyk

Is there a free alternative to Microsoft Office XP Publisher that is also compatable with it?

PS: If I download Microsoft Version of Publisher that has a product key number on it that is not authorized to me, will I get caught?

The second thing is you are asking about is piracy. Such matters on these forums aren't discussed - this topic maybe locked. So don't do it or talk about it.

I thought http://why.openoffice.org/index.html (OpenOffice) would have an equivalent, but there isn't. Microsoft Office isn't all that expensive these days.

AJ

I will certainly not pirate anything. My friend has a copy of Microsoft Publisher and I asked if I could use it to download on my computer. Just wanted to know if that was legit or not.

Still looking at an free alternative to Microsoft Publisher. I've looked at a few free on-line, but not sure if they are any good. Just wanted to know if anyone has downloaded any free alternatives.

Thats the same thing. You are still not paying for it. Have you tryed openoffice? Not sure if it will have the application you want. Some body else will be able to help there. Or check for your self.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
My friend has a copy of Microsoft Publisher and I asked if I could use it to download on my computer. Just wanted to know if that was legit or not.

If you install his copy on your system it would only be a limited trial, which will quickly let you know if you want to buy yourself a copy.

I use MS Publisher all the time it's an essential software for me regardless of its price, mostly I use it for making all my disc cover booklets.

Is there a free alternative to Microsoft Office XP Publisher that is also compatable with it?

PS: If I download Microsoft Version of Publisher that has a product key number on it that is not authorized to me, will I get caught?

tommyk I have been using MS Publisher since the day that I was given a "NFR" copy of MS Publisher 98 Via MS Black Label Partners (boy that ages me) and I have paid for and upgraded through to my last purchase MS Office Professional 2003, (switched to Open Office) which includes MS Pub.

I only use Publisher for quick no charge jobs I do for charities.

I am not aware of any other DTP application that will handle .pub files. For my "chargeable jobs" I use apps such as: Corell Draw, Adobe In-Design, an Old version of PageMaker 6.0, and several other no-so well known DTP apps. (now only PC). For every day non professional dead easy DTP work, spend some money and purchase an OLD version of MS Publisher on e-bay, I recently spotted one sold for $15.00 Australian. Be careful of "compatibility" between MS Publisher versions, some are not even backward compatible.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators
Be careful of "compatibility" between MS Publisher versions, some are not even backward compatible.

That's true which is why it's a good reason to keep old saved .pub files and convert them to new files for newer versions.

It's a very handy program, only limited by the imagination of the user. Like Microsoft Word I need to have Microsoft Publisher on my system.

OK . . . I've downloaded OpenOffice . . . it's "somewhat" similar to Microsoft Publisher with a few differences. I use Publisher at work and like it, so when my friend offered to let me download his version I thought it would be fine until I realized the "legality" of it. I'll work with OO for a while and see if it's as easy as Publisher.

I'll keep my eyes open for a low-price Publisher out there in web land.

Thanks

OK . . . I've downloaded OpenOffice . . . it's "somewhat" similar to Microsoft Publisher with a few differences. I use Publisher at work and like it, so when my friend offered to let me download his version I thought it would be fine until I realized the "legality" of it. I'll work with OO for a while and see if it's as easy as Publisher.

I'll keep my eyes open for a low-price Publisher out there in web land.

Thanks

tommyk I have just spotted MS Pub 2002 Bid is up to $20.00 AUS or buy now for $35.00 AUS..........go to:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Microsoft-Publisher...=item1c0fde1d00

Good luck :rolleyes:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"