Cleaning External Windows Drives

TheGeeks

Hi,

Love CCleaner - it does a great job.

We do a lot of virus removals and usually use CCLeaner to remove all the temp files before we do the virus scan. Sometimes the virus infection is so bad that we need to scan the hard drive externally with a different computer so the infections don't have a chance to load before the scan.

We would like to be able to clean out the temp files etc. of an external windows hard drive. Can you please add the ability to do this? Windows temp, all users temp, IE temp etc.

Thanks for making such a great product :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I know it would be useful for you malware removal experts to get rid of allot of that junk in one pass. However CCleaner by design isn't a malware removal tool, even though allot of malware removal experts are using it that way before running complete system scans.

It's up to the devs really even though it has been requested a number of times over the years.

I think they should really add this feature in future versions of CCleaner. There is this app called Advanced SystemCare 3 that has this feature of cleaning basically all storage devices connected on the PC including USBs, not sure that it would work on external hard drives but its worth to try.

I think that improving CCleaner would further enhance its credibility. There are still areas it cannot clean but if it can, it'll be even better and surely more people who join this forum everyday would say wow, you guys rock. We see a lot of people register here on a daily basis just to make a few questions about CCleaner and once it has improved, more of these guys will be satisfied.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

If I understand the OP correctly, the requirement isn't just 'to clean external drives'.

It is to clean a system volume which has been mounted as an external drive. So you're cleaning all the usual places ... windows system temp folders, dll cache etc ... but where the system partition from another machine is mounted externally.

Mounted like this, it also means (registry hives aside) that all of the profiles can be cleaned.

If I understand the OP correctly, the requirement isn't just 'to clean external drives'.

It is to clean a system volume which has been mounted as an external drive. So you're cleaning all the usual places ... windows system temp folders, dll cache etc ... but where the system partition from another machine is mounted externally.

Mounted like this, it also means (registry hives aside) that all of the profiles can be cleaned.

Yes...

Think of it as taking another PC's hard drive out and hooking it up via USB to your PC so it shows up as an external drive (say the F: drive for example).

We want to be able to run CCleaner on the external drive (F:) and clean all / most of the places that CCleaner cleans the C: drive.

We would definitely want All Users temporary files to be deleted.

We use the same procedures at my orgnization for bady infected drives. It would be amazing if CCleaner could be used to scan multipule user profiles on externally attached harddrives. To take that even furhter it would be great if you could acheive that across different file systems and OS's. Say using an 32 bit XP system to scann and clean multipule user profiels on a 32 Bit windows 7 externealy attached drive.