Avast 5

hazelnut

So food, nice typo. :lol: But have you rebooted yet? Rebooting was the only indication I had that I couldn't use Avast 5 due to the blue stop screen of Windows auto-protecting the system.

Ah! Sorry about the "food". I actually shutdown last night because I wanted to see how long it would take to update today. Booted this morning and it updated immediately. Avira had been also since I went back to it a few weeks ago. The thing I like about this Avast compared to Avira, it has a web shield and email shield. The GUI is really slick and easy to understand. By all accounts, MSE has top notch protection but I do kind of like tweaking things and it was quite limited in that capacity.

I installed Avast 5 today, it didn't work at first, said it was at risk etc. I uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled it and it's working fine. So far so good. I had to turn the sounds off though. I nearly jumped when that woman told me Avast had been updated. I turned the sounds off for 4.8 too when I had it. I like the tweakable options in 5. So much more control. ;)

• Moderators

I reported my issue to Alwil Software about Avast 5, the reason is it's incompatible/conflicts with Aladdin HASP License Manager which some commerical software use to make sure their software is used legally/legitimately. So unless Alwil Software fixes this I'll never be able to use Avast 5.

I just hope they at least continue definition file support for v4.8, which has no issue with Aladdin HASP License Manager. If they do I'll use 4.8 again, but not until I find out. If they do that it would also allow Windows 9x/Me/NT users to continue using Avast, albeit an old one which is still better than most of their rivals.

Installed Avast5 - allowing setup to uninstall 4.8 .... rebooted system & had a look @ the Avast features - clicked on scan computer & right hand side was blank as in zero options!! ... rebooted again and it all seems to work now

avast 5 rapes the http traffic with its web shield. A few people i know myself included had to add exclusions to youtube etc, any thing with flash, music and so on.

I thought it was poor little firefox 3.6 at first, as installed it at same time.

No fate but what we make

avast 5 rapes the http traffic with its web shield. A few people i know myself included had to add exclusions to youtube etc, any thing with flash, music and so on.

I thought it was poor little firefox 3.6 at first, as installed it at same time.

then sounds like avast 5 is a little too much.

• Moderators
then sounds like avast 5 is a little too much.

Well if/when they stop the definition updates to v4.8 I'll switch to AntiVir v9 which is the best alternative in my opinion for using the least amount of resources, however I won't cherish AntiVir's known false positive issues - but at least it can detect stuff some other AV's completely miss like some third party unnecessary add-ons in freeware.

Microsoft Security Essentials was a no go on my system it was constantly using way too much RAM and was responsible for 50% of the RAM usage on my system, and always hogging the system. At one point yesterday it was using 520 MB of RAM when I just wanted to see the file size of an .ISO CD image I made, after that ordeal it was history on my machine forever. "Perhaps it works better" on Vista and 7 systems, but not at all on my old XP Pro system, and the Quick Scan was done way too fast, and Full Scan took absolutely forever.

• Moderators

I haven't encountered any difference at all with Version 5.

Flash video, DivX video, music, all works as it did with 4.8. I'd be happy to try out anything particular you're having problems with as I'm using Opera 90% of the time, but have used Firefox with no problems.

• Moderators
I must have just been lucky, I think I've only had two false positives since starting using Antivir a year or so ago.

Well it hates most of the Winzip Self Extractor archives I myself packed on my system. If/when I use AntiVir I'll stick all known false positives into an single Exclude folder which I'll instruct it not to scan.

I updated to Avast 5 a couple of days ago. I'm not sure that I like it as it doesn't have the same control as 4.8. On 4.8 you can set you scan preferences e.e. archive file, how deep you want to scan. I'm not happy with the WinZip or WinRAR archive files Andavari. After it does a scan on 4.8 I like to see a brief report of what it has scanned rather that just ending. 5.0 does this so I don't need to change that part. The progress bar is a nice feature then you know how much of the group its done.

I will try it for a week or so, if I'm not happy then 4.8 will go back. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

I haven't encountered any difference at all with Version 5.

Flash video, DivX video, music, all works as it did with 4.8. I'd be happy to try out anything particular you're having problems with as I'm using Opera 90% of the time, but have used Firefox with no problems.

My computer is getting old now (4 years) About time i brought a new one so my processor might be struggling. I did actually report it on avast forum but got told it was nothing to do with avast, obviously when i disabled the websheild IE and FF both worked perfectly, it was still nothing to do with avast *cough*

So it would be a little hard to replicate since it was just the default settings in avast that caused it. But thanks dennis

No fate but what we make

I did a clean install of Avast 5 last night. Before the install, I used an uninstall utility from Avast to get rid of Avast 4.8

( Avast Uninstall Utility ).

This did a great job and Avast 5 installed with no problems. It's amazing how much less it uses in resources compared to 4.8.

What a shame, Im seriously considering reverting back to 4.8

Even with web shield disabled it is now distorting sites like youtube.

If you disable shields temporary it does not remember your previous settings and re enables all shields which is pretty poor. :/

No fate but what we make

Removed Avast 5 eh?

I personally think they should've beta tested it for several more months getting more feedback from testers using all sorts of different system configurations. Oh well.

I'm really let down by it. Was constantly killing my net. I could of disabled the shield in services, but a user shouldn't have to go there. Adding my sites to exclusions it was still scanning them,

oh well

No fate but what we make

Hi ident. I have no idea why you would be having trouble with Avast 5. Since my install I have had zero problems and Avast is working better than ever.

Perhaps your install was not clean.

I like the new feature of 5 when you do a full drive scan. 4.8 used to stop at everything that was suspect with the option to Move, Repair or Delete. Now I've never known Avast to repair anything, McAfee does. Now it does a full scan and shows the Results page afterwards where you can see the info. But in the Results page you can't really select certain files to move, repair or delete, its all or nothing. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2