Avast 5

hazelnut

• Moderators
Also is it good or questionable practice to also be running "Microsoft Security Essentials", "MS Defender" and "Returnil" which also has a anti-virus module running at the same time?

With Avira AntiVir installed as resident you don't need Microsoft Security Essentials ("MSE") installed if it's also running resident - or vice versa!

Microsoft's choice of naming it is somewhat vague I think to some people as I've seen countless times people stating they're using it alongside some other traditional antivirus application. MSE is an anti-virus/anti-malware package - so you should choose just one either AntiVir or MSE as your resident/real-time protection. Having both running together as real-time protection can severely impact system performance, unless of course you permanently disable the real-time protection in just one of them and use that one as an on-demand scanner only.

Edit:

Personally with AntiVir's detection rate I'd use it.

With Avira AntiVir installed as resident you don't need Microsoft Security Essentials ("MSE") installed if it's also running resident - or vice versa!

Edit:

Personally with AntiVir's detection rate I'd use it.

Many thanks for the observation and advice, I shall stop the services of MSE & MS Defender for the time being.

I have found by description both MSE & MS Defender perform the same function, "helps protection from spy-ware & other potential unwanted SW" end quote (from Local Services).

Interesting that to date the anti-virus module of Returnil (service name not known) has caught 2 Trojan's and Avira not a peep. Will keep Returnil running though.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators
Interesting that to date the anti-virus module of Returnil (service name not known) has caught 2 Trojan's and Avira not a peep. Will keep Returnil running though.

It's called layered security, what one misses another detects.

So Avast 5 hasn't missed a beat since the day it was released. I do have a question though. Unless my inference in this lengthy thread is incorrect, do disabled Shields re-enable themselves at boot, at least under "the hood"? Relative to that, there is a simple setting to disable the explanation point in the tray icon that was mentioned in this thread. Can't say how to do it at the moment since I'm not using the laptop with Avast.

• Moderators

I managed to disable the modules I didn't require from within Avast, and unlike other folks experience, they stayed disabled after reboot.

However, that left the exclamation mark over the tray icon with the "not fully protected" warnings. As far as I can ascertain, the exclamation mark is permanent.

I disabled my unwanted modules during a reinstall, and I didn't know, as pointed out by Capman above, that you can disable them from within Avasts Add/Remove Programs entry.

If you do it that way, you'll probably have to reboot to make the changes work.

I managed to disable the modules I didn't require from within Avast, and unlike other folks experience, they stayed disabled after reboot.

However, that left the exclamation mark over the tray icon with the "not fully protected" warnings. As far as I can ascertain, the exclamation mark is permanent.

I disabled my unwanted modules during a reinstall, and I didn't know, as pointed out by Capman above, that you can disable them from within Avasts Add/Remove Programs entry.

If you do it that way, you'll probably have to reboot to make the changes work.

My experience as above. Disabling permanent just left me having to re do it after reboot. Disabling P left a mark over the icon. Disabling the service did the same.

Uninstalling as dennis suggested has worked perfect. This can only be done by trying to uninstall first.

No fate but what we make

So Avast 5 hasn't missed a beat since the day it was released. I do have a question though. Unless my inference in this lengthy thread is incorrect, do disabled Shields re-enable themselves at boot, at least under "the hood"? Relative to that, there is a simple setting to disable the explanation point in the tray icon that was mentioned in this thread. Can't say how to do it at the moment since I'm not using the laptop with Avast.

I took someone's advice on this forum did a "custom" install of Avast 5.0, selected 5 of the 7 shields available, all working fine, many re boots, all still OK, only the 5 selected shields running. No reminders from the tray icon either. As a matter of interest following the install (Windows 7 32bit) a re boot was not called for. Several hours in I did a manual "update" that then did require a re boot.

PS: I find myself these days performing a Macrium Reflect back up every time I do a serious application install when not electing to install / test in the virtual world.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

disabling IM and and P2P free resources right guys?..or not..

since i don't use them.

Of course, its less strain. IMO disable web shield also. 100% RINSED my connection. Though i do know people that this was not the case.

No fate but what we make

I am enjoying this thread. Have installed Avast 5 on a couple of computers and like the new way of registering, no more email keys. Question I have is ...

Is Avast 5 better or comparable to AVG Free??

I now have AVG on my main computer and it hasn't given me any problems. In the past all I've used is Avast. Had I known of the new Avast update I would have installed it

I am enjoying this thread. Have installed Avast 5 on a couple of computers and like the new way of registering, no more email keys. Question I have is ...

Is Avast 5 better or comparable to AVG Free??

I now have AVG on my main computer and it hasn't given me any problems. In the past all I've used is Avast. Had I known of the new Avast update I would have installed it

iv always classed avg as norton. Dont bite my head off for saying it. Just my opinion......

No fate but what we make

There is a new avast program update, info here

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55484.0

Updated & many thanks.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

There is a new avast program update,

You don't need to download updates for Avast 5 Hazel. Just open the icon on your desktop. Click on Maintenance and it shows the Current version: being used 5.0.418. If you want to see if there is another update available just click the Update program link.

You can also click on the Settings spanner in the top right and click on Updates you can select Automatic updates for both Engine and Virus definitions and Program. You can pick a tick the box for My Computer is permanently connected to the internet so it will do the updates automatically. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2