Need to Make bootable Recuva CD or USB Drive

Terry_Teaches

I have a laptop that accidentally had it's hard drive reformatted. I think I need a bootable version of recuva, on a thumb drive or CD.

I was thinking thumb drive, because if recuva works, I could store found files on the thumb drive. If I made a recuva CD I don't know how I would store the found files.

Does anyone know how to make a bootable thumb drive or CD and then put Recuva on it? I have one other computer available for burning the CD or making the Recuva thumb drive. Any suggestions are welcome.

• Moderators

Hi Terry, and welcome to Piriform.

My first thought is based upon your mention of a second computer.

Would that be another Laptop or a Desktop computer?

If it's a Desktop, my thought is to lift the hard drive out of your laptop and connect it to the Desktop Computer with an "IDE 2.5" To 3.5" Laptop Hard Drive Adaptor". You could then point Recuva to the Laptop from the Desktop, and save any recovered data to the Desktop.

I fixed a neighbours computer with one of these, and it was a solution made possible for me a short while ago by another member, Fireryone, who brought the existence of this connector to my attention.

I obtained one at this link, and it worked a treat.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-2-5-To-3-5-Lapto...id=p3286.c0.m14

The option of making a boot CD containing a working Recuva may take a bit of effort as well, as you would probably need to build something like a BartPE Rescue CD, and include Recuva in the build.

Hopefully one of the other guys may come up with a solution much more straightforward, but none come to my mind at the moment.

Thanks for your reply. We're thinking along the same lines. My second computer is a laptop, so the cable option would entail borrowing a desktop system. I tried making a BartPE disk and adding recuva to the build, but ran into problems (wouldn't boot). Now I am trying a product called "Active Partition." So far, it has booted and is scanning for files. My fingers are crossed.

-Terry

• Moderators

Good luck with that.

EDIT: If you ever need to go down the "Laptop hard drive into the Desktop" route, you would need to "slave" the Desktop hard drive to the Laptop as the Laptop hard drives I've encountered don't have jumpers on the back to set them as slave, and I'm not aware of any other way to do that.

Then break into the Desktops boot sequence and manually boot with the now "slaved" Desktop Hard Drive.

• 10 years later...
On 21/01/2010 at 14:25, redhawk said:

<<There's no need to incorporate Recuva into BartPE just store the files on a flash drive,
boot BartPE with the Flash drive already inserted and it should be ready to access.

>>

Well I would like to use my Recuva Pro and how will it recognize the licence if I put the installation files on a usb drive ?
Does that work? This way it will recover files on an external USB drive from a computer's 3 hard drives, one after the other ? Could this be done. Haven't found an answer yet confirming recuvaPro licensee can use it as DOS to get on a computer without booting its windows. The Recuva PRO software should be on a USB key to do so I don't wanna boot the computer to lose data from the system file created as cache on boot.

Edited by AngelArcherWasRight