Ethernet

Canary

Hello.

Whenever I turn on my laptop, I get a "Found New Hardware Wizard" pop-up that says I need to install software for an Ethernet Controller.

I'm afraid to say that I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help? (The computer seems to be working fine.)

Thanks.

Have you installed a new LAN network card?

If not maybe your existing card has become loose within the case?

No, I haven't. And forgive my ignorance, but I don't even know what a LAN network card is - let alone install one.

The weird thing is that I haven't noticed anything else different with the computer.

No, I haven't. And forgive my ignorance, but I don't even know what a LAN network card is - let alone install one.

Sorry :) ... it's the network card that allows you to connect via a LAN (ethernet) cable ... you probably have a socket on your PC somewhere. If you always connect via wireless then you may never use this. Most PCs and laptops come with this type of connection ... https://spaces.umbc.edu/download/attachment...87/lan_port.jpg

Sorry :) ... it's the network card that allows you to connect via a LAN (ethernet) cable ... you probably have a socket on your PC somewhere. If you always connect via wireless then you may never use this. Most PCs and laptops come with this type of connection ... https://spaces.umbc.edu/download/attachment...87/lan_port.jpg

Thanks! ;)

Yes, I always connect wirelessly. From what you say, is it fair to assume there's nothign for me to worry about here?

It's probably nothing serious (or 'malicious') but it would be good to know what's causing it because it's certainly not behaving how it should. Apart from checking that the card is seated properly I can't think of anything else to check offhand ... if it were me I'd do a bit of googling around and see if I could find any clues that way.

It's probably nothing serious (or 'malicious') but it would be good to know what's causing it because it's certainly not behaving how it should. Apart from checking that the card is seated properly I can't think of anything else to check offhand ... if it were me I'd do a bit of googling around and see if I could find any clues that way.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

I have Googled it. It seems I'm not the only one who's had this issue, but there seems to be no obvious answers out there.

Just a couple of quick ones . . .

1) What do you mean by seating the card properly? I'm not sure how to do that.

2) If it's not affecting the working of my laptop, can I just disable the ethernet?

1) What do you mean by seating the card properly? I'm not sure how to do that.

2) If it's not affecting the working of my laptop, can I just disable the ethernet?

1) Well in a desktop, sometimes there are add in cards that plug into the motherboard that have certain functionality - for example, a video/graphics card, a sound card, an Ethernet card, etc. However, the majority of newer motherboards and laptop have Ethernet functionality built in - so it would be interesting for the Ethernet port to have "jiggled" loose from the motherboard.

2) You can disable it - just remember if you are in a place with no wireless and you have to use it to reenable it. I would go through Windows updates and look for any downloads for an ethernet controller and install them.

AJ