IE vulnerability - 15 Jan

marmite

Good find.

Lots of "spin management" going on. Bet its worse than anyone is letting on. Where is my tinfoil hat?

Some info also at http://www.wired.com/threatlevel

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

This means "Update to Windows 7 / Vista and IE8", right ? :D

It's actually gonna be to IE I believe; 6, 7 and 8 are affected though by default 8 has better protection (with DEP enabled by default).

Check out Microsoft's mitigation suggestions if you want to check/tweak your own configuration ... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/979352.mspx

• Moderators
This means "Update to Windows 7

After trying out Windows 7 in a computer store over the weekend I absolutely and completely fell in love with that OS, so much it was hard to come home and use XP Pro. Now just need a new PC that can run Windows 7 really good.

This means "Update to Windows 7 / Vista and IE8", right ? :D

Ah! I see what you mean now after Andavari's post <_<

I think the main point from an MS point of view is to upgrade to IE8 as far as that vuln. is concerned.

But that aside I'm looking forward to getting my hands on W7 ... like Andavari I want a new PC first though :D

Thanks for sharing that, Andavari. Your opinion is worth a lot...but... may cost me money. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Believe it or NOT: here in Australia, the National news broadcasters this morning (radio, TV & Web) reporting on the MS IE browser / Google attacks finishes up by stating that the "Federal Government suggests business and home computer users use another browser for a while until MS comes up with an answer to the reported problem." end quote. This is true folks, you GOTTA wonder!!

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Following the Germans there then.

If the government of either country were to bother to issue guidelines to "surf safely and securely" and "don't engage in illegal p2p activities" (the source of many users' problems from picking up infected files) it would be far more constructive. If the population bothered to follow that advice then it would save far more grief than just changing browser for a week or two 'cos someone's found an exploit that 'may' be on one or two out of the zillions of websites out there.

IMHO advice issued by those governments to home users is tantamount to scaremongering. I guess I can see more of a case for businesses being more alert because it's targeted emails that seems to have caught company employees unawares in the 'Chinese assault'.

I'm surprised they got it out so quickly though ... think they were feeling the backlash.

Old Microsoft joke ...

A pilot is flying a small, single-engine, charter plane with a couple of really important executives on board into Seattle airport. There is fog so thick that visibility is 40 feet, and his instruments are out. He circles looking for a landmark and after an hour, he is low on fuel and his passengers are very nervous. At last, through a small opening in the fog he sees a tall building with one guy working alone on the fifth floor. Circling, the pilot banks and shouts through his open window: "Hey, where am I?". The solitary office worker replies: "You're in an airplane.". The pilot immediately executes a swift 275 degree turn and executes a perfect blind landing on the airport's runway five miles away. Just as the plane stops, the engines cough and die from lack of fuel. The stunned passengers ask the pilot how he did it. "Elementary," replies the pilot, "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100% correct but absolutely useless; therefore, I knew that must be Microsoft's support office and from there the airport is three minutes away on a course of 87 degrees."

Old Microsoft joke ...

That plane would have run out of gas before the answer was finished. :P

E.G.: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

More on the scope of the vulnerability: at ComputerWorld

and another ComputerWorld