The most amazing movie I've seen

DennisD

• Moderators

There's been some amazing movies in the Fantasy genre over the last few years, and being a lifelong fan of Fantasy and Science Fiction, I've been in movie heaven.

The movie I saw today just defies description. You have to see it.

"AVATAR" in 3D.

Forget any philosophical discussions about what it does or doesn't represent. Take it for what it is, and just lap up a visual extravaganza brought to life from the imaginations of the guys who dreamed it up. And all in 3D.

'Nuff said.

:)

I guess being 52 and not giving a moist bint about 3D would further your argument. I care about story the most in films. They're books on celluloid, or in digital bits.

If I want a visual feast I'd buy any PS3 shmup game and play it. But I won't. 3D visuals are cool. But.

• Moderators

I saw it in IMAX today too. Insanely cool movie.

I'm not sure why Conona doesn't think it has a good story but I thought it was infinitely more interesting than the latest star trek/starwars movies. Visually it doesn't compare to anything I've ever seen, its just in a league of its own right now, but the story was cool to me too.

The depth in imagery blows you away and the story is well done as well, not blown away good but you get drawn in and feel the movie :D :D :D

Well worth the 17 dollar entry, and to ident, this is not a movie you could watch in bootleg cam mode.

And they barely ever use the 3D to send everything flying at you, but to see further in, so its not you're normal 3D like in spykids3D but much nicer :)

fireryone

I think this confirms it - my ex g/f that I'm trying to get back with has absolutely TERRIBLE taste in movies. Likes Twilight, thought Avatar was stupid, and preferred the Harry Potter movies to the books. Um, maybe I shouldn't get back with her - my roommate saw Avatar and loved it, and I know at least 2 or other people who saw it and had the same reaction as you guys. I'm hopefully going soon, but I don't know where i can go see it in IMAX or 3D.

AJ

I saw it yesterday as well ,fantastic 3D effect and a really good film.well done Cameron

my only critic is that you are in effect watching the film through "sun glasses" and i wish they could have brightened the film to compensate against this and it`s shot in wide screen and then the cinema give you glasses with a 4 X 3 format ! hope they improve the glasses soon !

The graphics, the effects.. were revolutionary. The story was pretty predictable, and if the movie wouldn't have been in 3D it probably won't have got such good reviews. I almost knew what was going to happen in every scene. The characters were stereotyped to an extent, but let that be.

Overall I'd give it a 7.6 out of 10. But if you were to see it without paying attention to all that 3D.. I'd give it a 6. It isn't a movie you'd want to watch at home, go to the nearest cinema right now. But! If you, like Corona don't give a hoot about 3D and love a strong story, this isn't for you.

Those were my 2 Cents.

Simplicity is hard.

• 2 weeks later...
There's been some amazing movies in the Fantasy genre over the last few years, and being a lifelong fan of Fantasy and Science Fiction, I've been in movie heaven.

The movie I saw today just defies description. You have to see it.

"AVATAR" in 3D.

Forget any philosophical discussions about what it does or doesn't represent. Take it for what it is, and just lap up a visual extravaganza brought to life from the imaginations of the guys who dreamed it up. And all in 3D.

'Nuff said.

:)

Hi Dennis,

I'm anxious to see Avatar, but will have to wait 'till it comes out on DVD, and watch it on my big screen. (I'll enjoy all the special features anyway.) I, too, have been a fan of Fantasy and Sci-Fi starting with library books and comic books in the 1940s. Avatar has received several negative reviews, therefore I fully agree with your advice regarding imagination and visuals. Who cares if the story isn't as complex as Roman history, as long as the visuals blow your mind?! :P

Hi Dennis,

I'm anxious to see Avatar, but will have to wait 'till it comes out on DVD, and watch it on my big screen. (I'll enjoy all the special features anyway.) I, too, have been a fan of Fantasy and Sci-Fi starting with library books and comic books in the 1940s. Avatar has received several negative reviews, therefore I fully agree with your advice regarding imagination and visuals. Who cares if the story isn't as complex as Roman history, as long as the visuals blow your mind?! :P

well unless you plan to by a 3D TV you wont be able to enjoy The Experience.... :( as much as the rest of us have.

fireryone

Saw it sat, enjoyed it but was not overly thrilled.

effects 100/10

storyline 7/10

overall enjoyment 8/10

No fate but what we make

I was reading this review and thought some of you may find some of the facts interesting.

James Cameron's passion project, Avatar, is the most expensive movie in 20th Century Fox's history. And, if the official figures are ever released, it could possibly be the most expensive movie in film history. But Cameron knows a thing or two about delivering movies that sell, having created the biggest grossing movie of all time. Titanic brought in $1.8 billion worldwide, a figure most people believe will never be surpassed. But those people haven't seen Avatar.

Avatar is the event movie of the decade, a film you absolutely must see in theaters - in digital 3-D - to believe. Cameron employed technology created just for Avatar, and the end result is a groundbreaking, spellbinding, brilliant piece of art