Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7

TwistedMetal

• Moderators

Firefox 1.0.7

Specific changes in Firefox 1.0.7

* Fix for a potential buffer overflow vulnerability when loading a hostname with all soft-hyphens

* Fix to prevent URLs passed from external programs from being parsed by the shell (Linux only)

* Fix to prevent a crash when loading a Proxy Auto-Config (PAC) script that uses an "eval" statement

* Fix to restore InstallTrigger.getVersion() for Extension authors

* Other stability and security fixes

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

As far as I know, Firefox is meant to be the best? I'm just downloading it to see in my view if it is that much better than Internet Explorer.

Firefox:

More secure

Open source, you can add tweaks and mods easily if you wish

Useful extensions to do just about anything you want or need or dared to dream of

Updated fairly frequently

Faster

Doesn't allow ActiveX to molest your computer

Lots of themes for customizing appearance

Not evil

Bill Gates probably uses Firefox when he thinks no one is looking

Internet Explorer:

Created out of antimatter in an evil universe from beneath the Dark Side

Seriously though, in this and many other forums one of the first recommendations made to people who have had to clean malware off their systems is to switch to Firefox. The only thing IE is used for by most people now using Firefox is for downloading Windows Updates. There is now a site for downloading Windows Updates via Firefox but the jury is still out on whether it's a good idea to use it since it's not an official MS source.

sometimes i doubt when people use the term "more secure" to describe firefox...

More secure

Open source, you can add tweaks and mods easily if you wish

Useful extensions to do just about anything you want or need or dared to dream of

Updated fairly frequently

Faster

Doesn't allow ActiveX to molest your computer

Lots of themes for customizing appearance

Not evil

Bill Gates probably uses Firefox when he thinks no one is looking

haha... the terms you use are funny...

--==aGumon==--

Thanks agumon, I try to be funny be without coming across as stupid or annoying...

One thing people say makes Firefox more secure is that it won't run ActiveX which a lot of malware uses to get into computers without being noticed (until it's too late).

I think maybe Internet Explorer would be more secure if it was easier to understand what settings to use for security like on "Intenet Zones," ActiveX, Privacy, Advanced, etc. It seems like they're set too low and malware gets in but if you set them higher there's a lot of pop up boxes always asking if you want to allow this or that to run. And since it's used on over 90% of computers it attracts the most attention from the idiots who create malware.

But my favorite thing on Firefox is that you can use the Adblock and Remove This Permanently extensions to get rid of all the annoying advertising that moves around and flashes on and off to distract you all the time.

It seems a lot of people like Opera (especially now that it's FREE!) but it's so different from IE or Firefox it takes a while to get used to.

Hmm, well it does appear to be quicker, but, you can't get the ebay toolbar installed onto it, which is annoying, or I'd let my whole family use it (we all use the same user as my parents may need to quickly hop onto the pc withough switiching users).

So currently, I use Firefox for the majority of what I do (especially downloading - its much quicker), but the rest of my family use IE.