Microsoft Office 2010 pricing

hazelnut

I tried OpenOffice, but it is....bad.

Slow to launch (15 seconds...3 seconds for MS Office), old GUI, not enough features...

If you don't want to go back to Office 2003, you'll not want to use OOo...

Piriform French translator

I tried OpenOffice, but it is....bad.

Slow to launch (15 seconds...3 seconds for MS Office), old GUI, not enough features...

If you don't want to go back to Office 2003, you'll not want to use OOo...

Again, I would also ask, what version of Open Office did you use? your comments made me test & time both Open Office (ver. 3.0.0.0 build 9358 and MS Office SP3.

Both SW apps opened in about the same time.....4.5 seconds when first opened, then less than 1.0 second on the second and subsequent times.

The above was tested on my Windows 7 test PC. I then ran the same procedure on my MS XP Pro main PC which I use daily with similar results. I am guessing that the Open Office "loader" or "quick launcher" (or what ever they call it) is not resident in your start up group.

Open Office is an ideal substitute for those not in a financial position to purchase MS Office.

Regards

Tasgandy

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

I always swore that I would never pay for office, but they they gave me it for $50 or so for the ultimate 2007 version in that student deal. Now that I have it I would never go back. They have lowered the prices considerably. On newegg you can get the student version 3 keys for like $70 which is well worth the investment for students(even broke ones).

Word on its own makes things so much easier. The grammar and spelling check are way more advanced than openoffice, and the page layout stuff is a whole lot better too. Lately I have had teachers send me back papers with edits that you cant see in openoffice. Don't even get me started on Impress(powerpoint 95), its just not even close.

I'm not sure if I will get 2010. I honestly don't have a single complaint with my 2007 version.

• Moderators
I'm not sure if I will get 2010. I honestly don't have a single complaint with my 2007 version.

I'll buy the professional version if I get a new computer, but I don't see any point in getting it for my current WinXP system. I'm still using Office 2003 Professional on my WinXP system and can't imagine not having Word and Publisher on a system I use since those are two of the programs I use allot.

While many people may like OpenOffice I just don't like it myself since I can't do the things in it that Microsoft Office allows me to do. Although I did put OpenOffice Portable on my moms laptop so she'd at least have some office suite available should the need arise.

Tasgandy >> Indeed, the OOo Launcher was not in my startup list.

I don't use an office program everyday, so I don't want it to slow down my computer at boot.

But MS Office doesn't have a "quick launcher" or whatever - it just works.

Piriform French translator