ccleaner ate my printer driver!

startreksuite

I have run ccleaner at work, and both times after I have finished, I have been unable to use the printer afterwards. It says something like a spool service error, and it doesn't show up as an installed printer, nor can I reinstall it. If I restart the computer, the printer works again. Any suggestions what I must do to keep this from happening?

Any help would be much appreciated

startreksuite :huh:

Can you list the results of the analysis from CCleaner? Feel free to exclude what you know isn't the problem.

unfortunately i'm at home, so i cant. havent had this prob before though the printer is new and ccleaner sees it as a useless file. would the analysis be saved somewhere? :huh:

What brand of printer is it? There is maybe a similar issue mentioned before on here.

Here there is mention of a similar issue, and look also in CCleaner Discussions. Hope you get it fixed.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

What brand of printer is it? There is maybe a similar issue mentioned before on here.

Here there is mention of a similar issue, and look also in CCleaner Discussions. Hope you get it fixed.

It's a HP all in one. I have used ccleaner with other models of HP all in ones, so this could be a new way HP handles their drivers. Ill analyze and look for that HP file, and try and isolate it. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
It's a HP all in one. I have used ccleaner with other models of HP all in ones, so this could be a new way HP handles their drivers. Ill analyze and look for that HP file, and try and isolate it. Thanks!

Hi. I've also got an HP All-in-One (C4580) that is doing the same thing. I'm running CCleaner on a Windows 7 machine. If you found a solution to the problem, I would much appreciate seeing it. Thanks.

Hi. I've also got an HP All-in-One (C4580) that is doing the same thing. I'm running CCleaner on a Windows 7 machine. If you found a solution to the problem, I would much appreciate seeing it. Thanks.

I haven't completely isolated the file yet, but in the temp folder there seems to be a hp type of file, its in a few different places, so I haven't tried this yet. I just tried out ATF cleaner, and did a complete cleanup, temp files included. The printer worked after doing this, so there must be a different way CCleaner handles these files.

The work comp is running XP

• Moderators

There's either some HP file or registry key that if removed causes issues. I don't envy anyone who has to reinstall HP's printer/scanner software over and over again.

That HP file or registry key is called TrayApp, just searched for it here, although I don't know if that's the issue.

Try typing services.msc on Run, press ENTER and look for the service called "Print Spooler" and make sure it is set to "Automatic". If not, right click it and choose Properties and then set the Startup type to "Automatic", then click OK, restart the computer for this to take effect.

Its also good to restore a few registry backups if you have made any, its not a guarantee to work but worth enough to try.

Or, if you had a system restore point that was created before you installed and had run CCleaner, try restoring the system with that.

And you did say that this has happened to your work computer so chances are, there may be other people in there that have used it and have made some sort of mistake that has driven these discrepancies with your printer.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

And maybe, you can try cleaning the printer port and plug it again. The dirt can also make hardware fail at times.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I haven't completely isolated the file yet, but in the temp folder there seems to be a hp type of file, its in a few different places, so I haven't tried this yet. I just tried out ATF cleaner, and did a complete cleanup, temp files included. The printer worked after doing this, so there must be a different way CCleaner handles these files.

The work comp is running XP

Okay, thanks. If you are able to isolate it, I would love to find out what it is. Definitely frustrating...

Often twice a day my printer drivers disappear and then usually try to re-install but often fail. Sometimes I have to do a minimal boot-up using msconfig, then re-install the printer drivers, then do a normal boot-up. Often when I go to print a document I find the printer is not installed.

I've only experienced this problem since having Windows Vista (it used to work fine on Windows XP).

I've had this problem LONG BEFORE I installed CCleaner, so it's not to blame.

No idea what causes this problem, and neither had Hewlett Packard.

My printer is HP Officejet J5780 All-in-one.

Often twice a day my printer drivers disappear and then usually try to re-install but often fail. Sometimes I have to do a minimal boot-up using msconfig, then re-install the printer drivers, then do a normal boot-up. Often when I go to print a document I find the printer is not installed.

I've only experienced this problem since having Windows Vista (it used to work fine on Windows XP).

I've had this problem LONG BEFORE I installed CCleaner, so it's not to blame.

No idea what causes this problem, and neither had Hewlett Packard.

My printer is HP Officejet J5780 All-in-one.

The solution I can see for this is that you need to get a new printer driver, not the one that came with the printer's CD but a newer driver version that comes from the manufacturer's website.

Try going to the device manager on the control panel, turn on your printer, make sure it is plugged properly and tightly into your CPU and right click your printer from the device manager and choose update drivers and from there you can follow the step by step procedures. Or you can simply download a new compatible driver from the HP website, manually.

You can also try cleaning the insides of your CPU, your printer and your printer port. Dust can also result to hardware problems.

• 4 years later...

I have run ccleaner at work, and both times after I have finished, I have been unable to use the printer afterwards. It says something like a spool service error, and it doesn't show up as an installed printer, nor can I reinstall it. If I restart the computer, the printer works again. Any suggestions what I must do to keep this from happening?

Any help would be much appreciated

startreksuite huh.gif

I had printer problems with ccleaner. I added win 7 paranoid list in the included files. I think there is something in that list that is del. the folder printers in my folder (C:\Windows\System32\spool\) folder. What i did is added this to my exclude list in ccleaner C:\Windows\System32\spool\ That way it doesn't del. the folder printers in the spool folder. I would have to restart the spooler every time I neede to print something, if I ran ccleaner.

This worked for me!