Fancy changing your OS?

hazelnut

I never understood the drive behind the ReactOS project considering most computers come preinstalled with Windows anyway - why reinvent the wheel??.

I've used it under emulation and I have to say I'm not all that impressed I get more stability out of Windows 3.11 than ReactOS - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/redh...iform_win31.jpg :D

btw: http://toastytech.com/guis/ is a highly recommended site if you want to learn about other Operating Systems past and present.

Richard S.

I am fast becoming a fan of SLAX. HERE.

Just boot from the live CD in the tray, no install required. Does everything windows can, and a bit more. There are options to make no changes (to the SLAX OS), to run in memory which is very fast, and others. As far as I know, when you shut down, no changes have been made to the windows OS unless you chose to make them.

Bit dangerous, you can delete files that windows rightly protects, which can crash your windows OS. Also, don't know about the potential for viruses to infect the windows OS while you are running SLAX. Maybe one of the spyware mods would know that.

Sure would be interested in other members opinions on SLAX.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
I am fast becoming a fan of SLAX. HERE.

Bit dangerous, you can delete files that windows rightly protects, which can crash your windows OS. Also, don't know about the potential for viruses to infect the windows OS while you are running SLAX.

I've tried SLAX before but very briefly. The ability to delete things normally under Windows protection isn't all bad for instance if trying to remove some infected file, etc.

As for viruses there's anti-virus software for Linux systems, many won't cost a thing either.

The only thing I will say about Linux is don't trust the NTFS support for modifying or creating files it has been reserve engineered due to lack of documentation and is generally considered use at your own risk.

There are alternatives though such as ERD Commander and BartPE which are both bootable Windows OS on CD providing networking, Flash drive support and because it's Windows accessing an NTFS drive is 100% safe.

I've used BartPE many times to fix damaged file systems and machines with virus infections it really is a very useful tool.

BartPE also has a range of plugins to enable tools such as AV tools to work correctly so you're never short of things to run.

In the past year I've found some interesting unofficial BartPE builds such as "super winpe plus" and "HirensTools v10 (Mini Windows XP)" all packed with useful software however sadly some being unlicensed versions.

Richard S.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Andavari. Thats a good point, about deleting infected files which are normally protected. I'll never have courage enough to actually DO it, but...a good idea.

I have used SLAX twice, to see what files were present on a couple of crashed computers. Everything was there, so it just became a question of figuring out how to get it all back into place.

Most of the computer fixer stores around here are pretty expensive. Rightly so, probably, based on the long time it took to get those two computers back, but still, if you can do it yourself you can save some money.

Redhawk, BartPE is next. Gonna build one, actually have most of the licenses I need. Probably make some nice coasters in the process. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.